RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

241 - 246 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Hi Meredith,
Just a note. The British Kennel Club allowed retriever crossbreds and interbreds until at least 1937. Interbreds were crosses between the retriever breeds recognized at that time. For instance, a Labrador would be bred to a golden retriever (quite common). The puppies from that litter would be registered as Interbreds. One of those pups could then be bred to another purebred, registered golden, and be registered as a purebred golden.

Crossbreds consisted of a retriever breed bred to another breed or do who wasn't a retriever. Many times the non-purebred was not registered. Those crossbreds would then be registered, bred back into purebred lines, and eventually be registered as purebreds.

I am in no way saying this produced a dilute gene or was the background of silver Labradors. I am NOT an advocate of silver labs. But thought you might find this interesting that the English Kennel Club allowed this type of breeding and registry up until, I believe, the start of World War II. (I have some English Kennel Club stud books listing registrations of these retriever interbreds and crossbreds.)

So, in the third generation, these interbreds or crossbreds would be registered as a purebred. If someone imported one of these dogs to the U.S., the Kennel Club would provide the official export pedigree and the dog could be registered with the AKC as a purebred.

I found this pretty fascinating.
Since our friends across the pond have never had dilutes show up, their open stud book seems to be irrelevant. It is strictly a North America problem.

Meredith

·
Registered
354 Posts
Since our friends across the pond have never had dilutes show up, their open stud book seems to be irrelevant. It is strictly a North America problem.

Meredith
There are several silver Labrador breeders in the UK. Some of my gundog owning friends in the UK are fit to be tied about that. As I said above, I don't believe the open studbooks in the UK had anything to do with silvers in North America.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
There are several silver Labrador breeders in the UK. Some of my gundog owning friends in the UK are fit to be tied about that. As I said above, I don't believe the open studbooks in the UK had anything to do with silvers in North America.
That is not how the silvers were contrived in the US. It is a direction they like to use in the story though but it was not so.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
A silver lab is a black lab crossed with a chocolate lab right?🤔

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
It took a lot of Cross breeding and Line breeding to get the colour just right .:)

·
Registered
354 Posts
That is why I said, in my original post in red font, I am in no way saying this produced a dilute gene or was the background of silver Labradors.

U. K. Labradors imported into the U.S. after 1916 often had interbred or outcrossed ancestors, sometimes as close as 3 generations back. Hence even if the AKC stud book was closed in 1916 for Labradors, imported Labradors from the U.S. during the years from 1916 through 1937, would occasionally have interbred or crossbred ancestry as close as 3 generations back. But, I will reiterate what I said in my original post: I am in no way saying this produced a dilute gene or was the background of silver Labradors.
That is not how the silvers were contrived in the US. It is a direction they like to use in the story though but it was not so.

241 - 246 of 246 Posts