RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
either your other well aged FT'ers are delusional or you are unaware (read ignorant) of EdA credentials and reputation in the retriever community and Vet profession...they are above reproach....
Tell you what he may be the best thing since sliced bread in the retriever community, but that does not give anyone the right to slam other people for thier opinions, or things that they have experienced or been told on certian topics during thier life. Anyone with a hint of class could have replied in one of 100 different less abrasive ways if so inclined. I do respect his and everyone elses opinion, just not willing to roll over and be treated like that, no person above reproach.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Anyone with a hint of class
Another in a succession of incorrect assumptions about someone you do not know........

Speaking of "grumpy".....maybe it's just the long cold Canadian winter

Neither Old Nor Grumpy Nor Classless Regards

Have a nice day!!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Dr.Ed,I don't know you personally,but I think your first class(how's that for brown nosin?) I would greatly appreciate your opinion on a road harness and chains as a preventative exercise for joint and legiment injuries.

Bryan.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Tell you what he may be the best thing since sliced bread in the retriever community, but that does not give anyone the right to slam other people for thier opinions, or things that they have experienced or been told on certian topics during thier life. Anyone with a hint of class could have replied in one of 100 different less abrasive ways if so inclined. I do respect his and everyone elses opinion, just not willing to roll over and be treated like that, no person above reproach.
I sure didn't see anything abrasive or classless about Dr. Ed's initial response to you nor would I have said it was a slam, man, there are some touchy people on here when their opinions are rebutted by someone who's been around the game awhile. Sure takes away from trying to follow a thread that has some interest for many people. Not to mention needlessly insulting the very ones we can learn the most from. Long, cold winter here regards,

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hey I've been the best behaved boy on this thred,and nobody will help me with my important question.Don't make this Canadian get cranky on your azzzz!

Frigid Canuk regards.

Bryan.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
:D :D

I sure didn't see anything abrasive or classless about Dr. Ed's initial response to you nor would I have said it was a slam, man, there are some touchy people on here when their opinions are rebutted by someone who's been around the game awhile. Sure takes away from trying to follow a thread that has some interest for many people. Not to mention needlessly insulting the very ones we can learn the most from. Long, cold winter here regards,
Yea, and people wonder why the most experienced and knowledgeable people just don't want to get involved. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Dr.Ed,I don't know you personally,but I think your first class(how's that for brown nosin?) I would greatly appreciate your opinion on a road harness and chains as a preventative exercise for joint and legiment injuries.

Bryan.
Dr. Sherman advised us to do this with Rudy for her shoulder injury. We did it rountinely. Hard to tell how much it actually helped, but she competed till she was 10 1/2, with the help of some deramaxx.

Sure couldn't hurt. We did backpack with weights, also, and cone caveletti (sp?)

·
Registered
7,740 Posts
there are some touchy people on here when their opinions are rebutted by someone who's been around the game awhile. Sure takes away from trying to follow a thread that has some interest for many people. Not to mention needlessly insulting the very ones we can learn the most from.
Yea, and people wonder why the most experienced and knowledgeable people just don't want to get involved. :rolleyes:
Yup, pretty soon the only ones that will be here to answer questions will be the ones whose only expertise is that they can type on a keyboard and that they are expert attention seekers, kind of what happened to WRC.

Dr Ed was invited here and graciously accepted, and we appreciate his input immensely.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
I would greatly appreciate your opinion on a road harness and chains as a preventative exercise for joint and legiment injuries.
It is great physical conditioning and once Chef reaches the point in his recovery I plan to make it a regular part of his physical conditioning regimen. It probably strenghtens both muscle and connective tissue the way resistance training does as well as having some positive cardiovascular effects.

Having spoken with some human physical therapists I am concerned about loading the spine with weights (backpack) when a limb injury is involved, there are concerns about altering the gait. For a normal healthy dog I have no problem with the weighted backpack although I personally prefer weight pulling to weight carrying.

Ted's Buffy (bilateral TPLOs) has been weight pulling for one month and there is obvious improvement in her appearance and thigh muscle mass. I suspect that will become a regular part of her exercise regimen as well.

We're probably all guilty of under conditioning our dogs, depending on the exercise they get while training for conditioning and not doing enough non training related conditioning. In the days when we had nationally competitive dogs they had a regular routine of weight pulling and swimming behind a canoe.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
:D :D

Amen. Not knocking new ones joining and asking questions or anyone debating their opinion, just, I guess, better line manners please.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
We're probably all guilty of under conditioning our dogs, depending on the exercise they get while training for conditioning and not doing enough non training related conditioning.
Training never provides enough conditioning at least in my experience.

I'm one of those people fortunate enough to have 120 acres of hayfield right out my side door. This property works very well for winter (i.e. no snow) blind work as well as early season blind work. Since I cannot drive on the property (owner request), I walk the stakes and bumpers out to where I want them, and then walk back and get the dog. Most times, our romp out to the running spot is a 1/4 mile walk depending on how aggressive I am in planting blinds. I let the dog warm herself up along the way, and only call her to heel once we are 100 yards or so from the location. We run the blinds and then walk around picking everything up as a cool down. This field also gets used for long walks when the snow allows.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am getting in on this thread late but the thing that I have noticed is that if a dog is really straight or over angulated in the "hock" area, they have been far more likely to blow a crutiate. Over angulated and straight hocks cannot take the abuse of a correctly formed area. Structure (conformation) is genetic. Look at how the parents are built it will give you a good indicator as to what you might get. Of course there is also line breeding and pure outcrosses but you can tell a lot by the parents.

You can look at the way a dog moves and tell alot about how he feels or if he is compensating for an injury you may not even know he has sustained. I told Bobby that Rebel had a shoulder injury before he was ever taken to a Veterinarian and low and behold he did have a shoulder injury. He was cross-firing (horse term) when he ran. A strange gate (movement)that compensated for the injury. Just a suggestion of something to look for, if you are lucky enough to see or know both parents.

These are just my observations, but they have been useful for me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Bringing this one back to life after 10 years or so

There is a creek robber litter about to be on the ground in a few weeks

Has anyone come to a conclusion on creek robber or code blue offspring with elbow issues

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Bringing this one back to life after 10 years or so

There is a creek robber litter about to be on the ground in a few weeks

Has anyone come to a conclusion on creek robber or code blue offspring with elbow issues
I don't know the specific answer to your question. I do know that there is virtually no line out there that is totally healthy and has never produced any health issues. That's not to say that you should disregard potential problems - it's just to say not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Most of the lines or dogs people believe are genetically clean have skeletons in their closet.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't know the specific answer to your question. I do know that there is virtually no line out there that is totally healthy and has never produced any health issues. That's not to say that you should disregard potential problems - it's just to say not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Most of the lines or dogs people believe are genetically clean have skeletons in their closet.
Thanks for the response and i agree
just wanted to see if anyone had anything else to add about Auggie and the elbow issue people have talked about in the past.
I plan on getting a female pup out of this breeding

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Thanks for the response and i agree
just wanted to see if anyone had anything else to add about Auggie and the elbow issue people have talked about in the past.
I plan on getting a female pup out of this breeding
Where is the litter advertised?

61 - 80 of 82 Posts