RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my dog got out last saturday and came back with a decent cut on the pad of his foot.

Of course this happened the day after I signed up for a hunt test, makes sense.

The test isn't until the 19th so it'll have been a full two weeks since the cut.

I cleaned and wrapped the foot saturday, Sunday took him to the vet who didn't do a whole lot, we tried to super glue the cut with moderate success. Then was directed to leave the wrap on for 3 days.

I'm now sterilizing the wound, applying "MediHoney" and rewrapping daily, as well as making sure he gets plenty or rest and the bandage stays dry. He is also on an antibiotic from the vet.

My question: Is there something I can do the day of the hunt test to add a little protection? I'm hoping it's pretty well healed up by the test. He seems oblivious to the wound pain wise but I would hate to see it open back up. We have tried a boot in the past with no luck.

Do you have any other suggestions to increase the rate of healing? I've often used EMT gel in the past but not sure if it would be any more effective than the honey.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Cut or damaged pads are bad deals. One of the biggest pieces of advice is to make sure that thing is beyond healed before doing any more work with the dog as they reopen very easily and are big pains to get fully healed. If it gets infected you're definitely out more than one test weekend to get it to heal up. Injuries like that are ones that sometimes never go away unless handled very carefully and fully gone.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to mention, this is his fourth pad injury, one on each paw now, all in very different situations.

I've started him a couple days back on a Zinc Gluconate supplement, not sure if it'll help in the long run or not, but figured it can't hurt.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Guy had a boot on one foot of his lab last weekend at a HT.. Said was a heeling foot cut Judge's had no issue with it

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Section 7. Injured Dogs. No dog shall run with bandages or tape of any kind without the approval of the Hunting Test Committee. The Committee shall inspect the injury for which the bandage or tape is being used unless, of their own knowledge, they already possess such information, or unless they are furnished with a veterinarian’s certificate setting forth this information to their satisfaction.
Judges shall have the power to exclude any dog which they may consider unfit to run. The entry fee of all such dogs will be forfeited.

I think in two weeks your dog would be okay to run. Good luck.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I had the exact same issue as the OP. Pups pad was cut bad enough that I took her to the vet. Vet said to do my best to keep her from running or making in quick movements. After about 10-12 days she was fine. Went to the test with no issues.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I sure hope so, this is my club's test so I would like to run, but if it's not healed satisfactory, we won't be.

If were at a point where it needed to be completely bandaged, we won't be running.

While doing research, I came across talks of moleskin. I'm not sure I completely understand the concept of it's use. Would something like this be effective in my situation? Does it just provide a thin layer of protection to keep the area from having direct contact with the ground?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Not sure about the moleskin. The vet gave me some "pad thickening" spray. I sprayed it on it twice a day and it healed nicely. It was very tender for about a week or so. Keeping her from running or darting around was the key - oh and keep it as dry as possible. I kept her on lead when were out so she couldn't take off. I'll be surprised if your pup isn't good to go by test day - you will miss out on some training time, however.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had the same thing last year. When the weekend for the test came around his pad was in good shape but as a precautionary measure he ran with a boot on. I got a note from my Vet and showed it to the judges they allowed him to run with a boot on.
Good Luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts