RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I found and removed a deer tick from my young pup(12 weeks) and contacted two different vets. First said a course of ammoxacilyn (SP) as she was too young for the Doxy. Second vet said nothing you have to wait and see. Is there a preventative action I can take for her? I still have too many pups that wrestle from the littter to feel comfortable putting any topical on them so they are without. Thanks,

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I don't understand why you aren't using Frontline? You think the pups will ingest it off of each other? I don't really think that is a big risk. I would get Frontline on the pup right away.

Meredith

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Remember the tick has to be attached for 48 hrs. to be able to transmit Lyme (not sure about other tick-borne diseases) and 12 weeks is plenty old enough for topical tick preventatives. In fact 6 wks. is not too young for flea/tick meds., especially during prime tick season!

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Can I ask a simple question without getting bashed?
Why is that some people sort of panic over a tick? I have had thousands on me in my life time and do hate them and know about the risks, had one bite my neck a few days ago. I do put Vectra on my dogs once a month and never had a tick on them.
Here in East Texas its just part of life along with snakes. Im more scared of driving through Dallas traffic. Mainly Wondering if diseasous in ticks are more common in other areas than Texas. Just curious and not trying to stir the pot

·
Registered
343 Posts
Why is that some people sort of panic over a tick? I have had thousands on me in my life time and do hate them and know about the risks, had one bite my neck a few days ago. I do put Vectra on my dogs once a month and never had a tick on them.
Here in East Texas its just part of life along with snakes. Im more scared of driving through Dallas traffic. Mainly Wondering if diseasous in ticks are more common in other areas than Texas. Just curious and not trying to stir the pot
After Adam was sick with a tickborne illness for 5 days last summer...I wouldn't wish that upon anyone. Day 4 he finally went to the doctor and was given 2 bags of fluid via IV. Like a terrible flu basically and something that I guarantee I wouldn't want personally so I do the best to keep the dogs on prevenative meds to hopefully avoid them getting any kind of tickborned illness.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I feel the same way, but I grew up in Louisiana and now live in Tennessee. However, in both of these states (as well as Texas) reports of Lyme disease are rare. I'm sure I'd have a much different perspective if I lived in the North/Northeast.

http://www.aldf.com/usmap.shtml

·
Registered
72 Posts
Brad

I am much the same and Im from Georgia Even with Permanone Ive found at least 10 this Turkey season alone.

My Pups have had Frontline since 8 weeks.

Bruz

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was worried about the puppies ingesting it off eachother. I don't have enough kennels currently to seperate them all right now. I frankly wasn't planning on having 5 pups left to sell at 12 weeks old! I have seen more than a few people and dogs affected with lymes here in MN and wouldn't wish it on my enemy. Seperating the pups today the best I can!!

·
Registered
792 Posts
same here

as kids me and my sister would see who could pull the most ticks off our dogs in the summer (here in arkansas). some were gray dog ticks some were brown deer ticks. think one time i got around 30 off my rat terrier/jack russel mix

once a summer it seemed like they'd get in them good and their ear would be plum full of em. i'm talking a dozen or more and it was so sore you couldnt touch the ear. thats when we broke out the tick bath. them jokers would drop out like flies after that.

was real fun to get a big ole gray one and throw it on the concrete and watch it splatter everywhere

ticks, death, and taxes. 3 things guarenteed in the South

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have had great success with Frontline Plus but the wife just treated her Yorkie with Revolution and it seems to be working well.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just had a close friend and training partner who recently went to two hunt tests, he often would find a tick crawling on himself or one of the dogs and kill the tick by smashing it between two fingernails. After several days in the hospital, many tests later, he was diagnosed with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. Clots developed in his leg, and both lungs, 102 degree fever ect...lends me to believe one should take all necessary precautions as possible without inducing a panic. Everyone who frequents this web-site is susceptible to ticks, so yeah driving through Dallas may be a higher risk, but ticks can create one some serious misery.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Bustin, and others I dont mean any disrespect for the concerns of ticks.
Just more curious if tick diseasous are more problematic in other areas.. I know we have alot of ticks here but dont hear alot about of the other stuff.
Ihate chiggers more.
Mosqitous transmitt alot of things but dont hear many talking about them.
Just curious.
Thanks, Brad

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I've wondered the same thing Brad.

I agree that tick borne diseases can be terrible, and do everything I can to prevent them.

You can put something on a dog that's supposed to help. We humans can spray repellent and check for ticks. What bothers me is that Lymes disease is supposed to come from ticks in the nymphal stage and that they are as big as a period at the end of a sentence. Kind of hard to spot.

Then there's the "halo" I think they call it. A red ring around a tick bite that's supposed to indicate something bad. Well, as everyone knows if a tick gets firmly attached to you or your dog it leaves behind a pretty painful wound that lasts a long time. They leave quite a hole.

I found a lot of ticks on me one weekend of varying colors and sizes in the northeast. I asked the doctor about it and based on where I'd been he gave me a round of doxy. I actually felt pretty miserable from the number of bites more than any disease.

I think if most of us got into some kind of survival situation the ticks and mosquitos would make us absolutely miserable long before we'd get to practice much of our survival skills.

I talk to many people who aren't "outdoorsy" and when they find a tick on them they act like they're marked for death...

·
Registered
513 Posts
Just more curious if tick diseasous are more problematic in other areas..
Tick borne diseases do vary from one part of the country to another. A recent study showed a clear risk of Lyme disease across much of the Northeast, from Maine to northern Virginia. Researchers also identified a distinct high-risk region in the upper Midwest, including most of Wisconsin, northern Minnesota and a sliver of northern Illinois - pretty much in Bustin's back yard.

Bottom line is that we've got lots of ticks in Minnesota, and a lot of them can carry tick borne diseases.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am not the least bite sqeemish around ticks for the most part! It is one certain tick that carries lyme that I worry about, the deer tick. Being from Mn and spending almost my whole life outside, I have had thousands on me for sure, but know of too many people with dogs and themselves who are sick for years for not being worried at the time of a deer tick bite, but very miserable later. The logger who delivers my wood, has weeks of not getting out of bed because of a tick he didn't worry about back in the 80's. Got the infamous ring around the bite, but without insurance didn't do anything, and now it costs him way more. I was just curious if others had done anything with meds before their dog was actually diagnosed with lymes? Thanks,

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Tick borne diseases do vary from one part of the country to another. A recent study showed a clear risk of Lyme disease across much of the Northeast, from Maine to northern Virginia. Researchers also identified a distinct high-risk region in the upper Midwest, including most of Wisconsin, northern Minnesota and a sliver of northern Illinois - pretty much in Bustin's back yard.

Bottom line is that we've got lots of ticks in Minnesota, and a lot of them can carry tick borne diseases.

Thats what I was wondering about .. I wonder how ticks survive the North winters. Talk around Texas is we need a cold winter to kill them.
Know that wont help.
Heck I had a snake climb up my leg when i was hunting In January, last day of duck seasson, few years ago

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I am not the least bite sqeemish around ticks for the most part! It is one certain tick that carries lyme that I worry about, the deer tick. Being from Mn and spending almost my whole life outside, I have had thousands on me for sure, but know of too many people with dogs and themselves who are sick for years for not being worried at the time of a deer tick bite, but very miserable later. The logger who delivers my wood, has weeks of not getting out of bed because of a tick he didn't worry about back in the 80's. Got the infamous ring around the bite, but without insurance didn't do anything, and now it costs him way more. I was just curious if others had done anything with meds before their dog was actually diagnosed with lymes? Thanks,
Gary,
I dont know if I came off wrong, I am not trying to get anyone upset. I m Just trying to understand. I had a guy I know that got bit by a Brown Recluse spider and had to have his leg removed.
Just wondering if the regions are different with tick disesous. ( sorry I cant spell)
Just curious..
Thanks, Brad

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here's some advice I learned for removing ticks on pets and people from one of my parisitology classes in vet school:

"Use tweezers, tick removal tools or protected fingers, not your bare fingers, to remove attached ticks. Grasp the tick firmly, without crushing it, as near the skin as you can and remove it with a slow, steady pull away from your body. Hasty removal of an attached tick can break off the mouthparts and lead to prolonged inflammation, irritation and possibly secondary infection. Treating the bite wound with first aid antiseptic (like alcohol) will prevent secondary infection."

Also, always try to grab the tick as close to the head as possible with tweezers and pull it straight off. Squeezing the ticks body or irritating the tick in anyway (like putting a match to it) may cause the tick to spit it's saliva into the blood. The saliva is what carries the diseases they transmit. As one of the earlier posts mentioned, timing plays a big role. It takes between 24-48 hours for the tick to transmit Lyme disease, Erlichioses, and some of the other diseases. However, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever can be transmitted by the tick in 4-6 hours! So even if your dog is on a preventative it's important to remove the tick as soon as you see it because most preventatives don't kill ticks until at least 24 hours after they start feeding. This is becoming increasingly important as tick transmitted diseases continue to spread into areas where they weren't before, like tularemia in east Texas.

I know most of us and our pets have had ticks on us and never had any problems. However, as with most things, all it takes is one to transmit any number of the terrible diseases they carry that can harm us and our pets - like a 'ticking' time bomb (pun intended :)) Luckily, most of the diseases are treatable with antibiotics, but the dogs with these diseases that I have seen when they first come into the clinic are just so depressed and miserable that it's best to just try to prevent them from even occurring.

I hope some of this info is helpful to some of y'all! I know it has been for me.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I never thought much of ticks even though I grew up in the NE. But a few years ago, my dog died from what vets believe was an autoimmune disease secondary to tick disease ehrlichia. We live in KY now, and had travelled to the NE so not sure where she caught it. She deteriorated so quickly, had to go through bone marrow biopsies, blood transfusions, and suffered entirely too much from the disease. I had never even heard of the disease, but now am a little more panicky over ticks.

I would separate the pups for a few hours and use a topical.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts