RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried wading through the FT/HT thread but didnt find what I was looking for.... My question is what is expected at the derby level in a FT. What would an example run look like? I had been thinking of doing HT, but there are several FT coming to the area this summer and the trainer I have been working with has suggested FT. I think I/we would blow by JH and are close to SH in the HT world, I just dont know that much about FT. Oh, and are there any good books on FT's for labs out there?

Thanks
RJ

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
I have seen a couple of videos of derby runs. Maybe do a google search. There isn't a standard as to distances like there is in hunt tests.

In the derby there are no blinds. Generally two doubles: one on land and one on water.

I would suggest: "Retriever Field Trial Judging, A Manual". Available through The Retriever News for about $20.

Having said all that I have never run a debry but am getting ready to this fall.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Usually there are 4 series.
Usually they are all doubles, but you may see a single from time to time.
I have heard of triples being thrown, but never seen one, I assume they are rare.
Usually there are two land series, and two water series.
Distances can vary from 40 yards to over 300 yards.

Good Luck, FT's are addictive!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
here is the 4th series of a derby we ran last fall. Go bird was a flyer on the left at about 10 o'clock into the water. Memory bird on right, you can see gunner thrown to the lone tree, was about 250 yards with some in and outs. Very tough mem bird! Photo not taken from the line, line is about 20 -30 yards to my left.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Derby is not for beginner handlers or beginner dogs. Field is usually made up of experienced handlers and very well trained dogs. Even though the dogs are young the ribbons go to we'll trained dogs.even though entries are small they are chasing derby points.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Second series of same derby. Go bird on left thrown back along tree line into the shadows. Mem bird right, if you followed the road you got in trouble bird thrown to the left. From line severe 40-50 yard down hill through high growth. long bird about 275.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Nice pictures of Derby setups. I would suggest you go watch the one in Portland on the second weekend in May and then if it something that you think that you and your dog could do, than you can sign up for the Junction City trials.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Photo Mar 15, 4 22 05 PM.jpg

Nice pictures Chris. Here is the fourth series water marks at a trial this spring. The left bird is the go bird, thrown to the right landing at the base of the tree. The memory bird is thrown to the left and lands in front of the brush pile off the corner of the pond.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I tried wading through the FT/HT thread but didnt find what I was looking for.... My question is what is expected at the derby level in a FT. What would an example run look like? I had been thinking of doing HT, but there are several FT coming to the area this summer and the trainer I have been working with has suggested FT. I think I/we would blow by JH and are close to SH in the HT world, I just dont know that much about FT. Oh, and are there any good books on FT's for labs out there?

Thanks
RJ
First: do a search here because there are tons of threads about derbies here (your question comes up at least monthly) and many of them have very detailed explanations of the type of marks commonly seen. If you're working regularly with, or your pup is with, a trainer that runs FTs regularly, that trainer is the best judge of whether your pup has "the stuff". We all think we've got the next NDC, FC/AFC when they're pups, which is probably a good thing.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Trudi,

That 4th was a monster, long but not super long but confusing for the dogs.....very well placed marks! Never figured out why the dogs wanted to wide of the mem bird! Tuck did a good job if memory serves me!

·
Registered
42 Posts
So far I have seen marks from 60 yards to 400+. You can't really compare the derby to hunt tests. However, I would say most of the competitive derby dogs would not have trouble running a Master test. They don't run blinds in the derby but the dogs need to be handling so you can do cheating singles and so on.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Tuck nailed the go bird, taking the corner on the first piece of water and back in over the first levy. He held his initial line on the memory bird fighting the wind for about 250-300 yards. Sloppy ending, but he got the bird and we finished another derby! As a novice handler, this series will stay in my memory forever! Tuck stepped up that day! Great seeing you and Ella that weekend, Chris.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sunnydee,
That's pretty much what I was thinking. The trainer I have been working with is running the one in Portland so I am going do up with him and have a look see.
Great info all, thanks again
RJ

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Huntinwithlabs. Welcome. Terry is spot on with watching one.You'll have several in your back yard too at Junction City.Entry Express will have the upcoming trials in this area. I will be at ORTC. Expect long marks with the trees in the background. PM me with who your trainer is.They likely will be able to fill you in as well. I should have a derby dog there too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well.......that was eye opening :)
I went to youtube and watched a few derby's. I was surprised at how the difficulty varied between some of them. A few that I saw looked like "no problem", and a few were more like "holy crap!". Right now I think the plan is train train train, and work our way toward getting into a Derby maybe around late summer/early fall.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
well.......that was eye opening :)
A few that I saw looked like "no problem", and a few were more like "holy crap!". Right now I think the plan is train train train, and work our way toward getting into a Derby maybe around late summer/early fall.
just a note fwiw.......in my limited experience when i have watched the test dog run and said to myself, "no problem!" i am very likely to have an "eminent problem". be careful about what may appear to be "easy". good judges will get you with an unassuming bird placement everytime! when you least expect it.....expect it!;-)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts