1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
So you are saying with out dew claws a dog can'pull themselves out of water but with them they can. I find that rather difficult to believe, and don't hunt near ice that I am concerned about a dog falling through without a solid plan b.

Loose appendage going to make the difference over four attached?

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
A good friend of mine quit taking them off years ago. Shed imported a big male lab from England. He was enormously built(and fat too if i recall right, her dogs were always heavy). Said they were training once and he was the only dog that was able to get himself up out of a steep ditch. The other dogs couldnt do it,and he had his dews so that made him be able to do it.
All of mine have theirs off- I have steep entries all along my creek here , and my dogs run daily. Its amazing that they can make it up the steep slipppery muddy bank without their dewclaws! ;) People expect they be removed on a hunting puppy. I expect the same, now if there was a breeding Ihad to have, and the dews were on the pups, it wouldnt be a deal breaker but I prefer they be removed.
.... popcorn anyone?

·
Registered
123 Posts
We just picked up our new pup on Thursday. He comes from a very reputable breeder/trainer (British Labs). They too have stopped taking off the dew claws. They gave me some info on it. So, I guess my dog will have dew claws now.

·
Registered
148 Posts
38 years..never have seen a time where they were valuable...where I thought " boy if he or she had her dew claws things would have been a whole lot better...".... ( I know, how would I know...) but a number of instances where they ( my own dogs ....long ago... and other folks' dogs, both read about or witnessed) were disasters when left on. I have not seen any actual evidence, other than anecdotal, that they are of any value. I can't help but think that politics is playing a substantial role in this argument....but hey,,,I guess all those breeders over the past 30 or so years just weren't very smart, wanted to spend extra money and/or time or just wanted to do some harm to our canine friends...ok, I know, just because it's been done a bunch doesn't make it right...but it gives a reason to pause and examine the nature of the argument and this argument IMHO is really lacking in merit.
I swore I wouldn't do this but here I am ...hopefully for the last time....
Bill Butikas

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
We just picked up our new pup on Thursday. He comes from a very reputable breeder/trainer (British Labs). They too have stopped taking off the dew claws. They gave me some info on it. So, I guess my dog will have dew claws now.
Or if you feel strongly about it, you can have them surgically removed.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My first Chessie in the 70's had dew claws and the last four have not. I hunt the same frozen water and have not seen anything to make me lean for or against dew claws as far as them getting out of ice or a steep bank some dogs can and some can't with no relation to have or not. I never removed dews on the 50 or so beagles I have had and still some could and some could not get up the steep banks and out of ice. I have had them rip them off and they are hard to keep trimmed. I think it is whatever you personally believe and feel is best for you and your dog but I do not believe the can and cant's from what I have seen.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Thanks for reminding me to do the dews. Done. I've had many people state it's a criteria they will not budge on, that they want them off. I've even had people that told me they refused to go with a litter just because they did not do the dews. By and far most field Labs have their dews off.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Or if you feel strongly about it, you can have them surgically removed.
Yep...talked about it with my vet today. We'll see. I'm pretty indifferent about it. If he ever has to go under the knife for something else, maybe I'll do it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have only seen 2 with dews 1 MINE 1 a buddies. Both tore the dews and connected tendons before three years old. Both were career ending injuries. I would suspect your breeder is trying to save money. My dews will Always be removed.

·
Registered
240 Posts
We had a rescue dog (Catahoula) with dewclaws - PIA to trim. BUT she used them to scratch her face, clean out her eyes. "oh THAT'S what they're for!!!" But all my goldens have had the dewclaws removed by the breeders.

So you either have those nails to trim (that never get any wear) or deal with dog faces rubbing on your sofa or your crotch.

Debbie Tandoc

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Thanks for reminding me that most of the info on the internet is a joke. I really miss whether or not corn is okay in my dog's poop.

Hang in there…It seems that when certain topics come up, most will believe what has said in the past or present and will stick to their guns because they believe. Doesn’t mean it is right or wrong, it’s their preference.
Dew claws are there for a reason and human nature thinks that they are dog’s flaw and needs to be removed. Maybe it is a comedic issue or maybe they will get in the way, but there is reasons they are there and dogs that train seem to do well with them and without them. Again it becomes a personal choice.
It’s like saying does a male baby need to be circumcise (sp) or not? Religious or not?
Again hang in there.:)

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
If you ever see a dog snatch one off on a stand in a timber hole, you won't want another dog with dews. I have yet to see a dew-less dog at any of my clubs have the least bit of trouble with "steep banks or ice." Much ado about nothing regards.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
The very thing that this video-maker posts as a benefit can just as easily be a liability.

When I was in upstate, NY, some of the best ruffed grouse hunting we did was when there were a few inches of snow on the ground and an ice crust on top. The dogs with the dewclaws would wind up tearing the claws, bleeding a bunch, and sometimes having to sit on the bench for a while or go see the vet. Those without dewclaws continued the hunt without incident.

I'm looking out on the back deck right now. I see a lab with no dewclaws and some of our pet dogs who have them.

My first lab Champ had his dewclaws. He did use them to get out of a Lake George bubbler hole one winter while I was icefishing. He also tore them up pretty badly while I was grouse hunting.

I look at it this way: We are responsible for our dogs. We become aware of risks and conditions that increase chances of an accident. If we knowingly allow our dogs to fall through iceholes because they have dewclaws and should be OK...that's probably not smart. If we knowingly allow our dogs to creep into a rattlesnake ledge because they've already been snake-proofed, that's probably not too smart.

Have fun.

To my mind, I'll deal with the breeding and selection of the dog. If the puppy comes with dewclaws, I'll leave them on and deal with it accordingly. If the puppy comes with no dewclaws, I'll deal with it.

If I had a litter of puppies tomorrow, I'd think hard about what kinds of homes the dogs are going to and what those dogs will do. I may or may not remove the dewclaws. I don't have a litter coming, so I don't have to commit either way.

KJRice, about that aardvark... Do they point or flush?

Chris

1 - 19 of 19 Posts