RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps this is too late to ask for opinions because I just ordered a custom 3 hole dog box from Diamond Deluxe. Who has this product and what do you think? I still have time to make modifications as they haven't started on my box yet.

·
Registered
516 Posts
David, I have a custom 2 hole box from Diamond Deluxe and I have been very pleased. I have owned it just over 3 years.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
I have a two hole (it's for sale cheap), it was a great starter box for me, over time i decided I wanted an upgrade. It did serve its purpose. I think the quality is what you pay for it however. I had welds break early on and of course learned the "insulation" was a joke, but my dogs enjoyed ripping it off the side walls! The guys at Diamond Deluxe were easy to work with and overall I was happy with the box, but like I said you get what you pay for. If you can't afford a stainless steel box from Ainley or like competitors, a Diamond Deluxe is a good substitution.

FOM

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a 3 Hole from Diamond Deluxe that I have had for several years. I wish I had gotten a water tank on it but my biggest to complaints are the insulation and the direction the outside doors open.
I am vertically challenged and both outside doors open from the cent of the truck. Deerskin, and MT open from the outside edge of the truck making the access easier. I have thought about going to a shop somewhere and having them changed.

The insulation did not last long. When my dog was a puppy, he shredded it in about a week.

Good Starter box but I want something better now

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I had one for a while. It worked fine but the quality was decent at best. I have a deerskin now and there is no comparison. The diamond deluxe would have worked better with real insulation--it is absolutely junk and the top storage on my box leaked like hell. For the money however it is not a bad box IMO.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just had them build a custom 4 hole box for me. I recieved it a few days ago. The box is exactly what I wanted built. The quality like actually taking the time to polish welds or even clean up metal shavings is obviously non-existant. I was taken back by their "insulation." I suppose now I know to ask how it's insulated. But the corrugated plastic just slapped on has me a bit pissed. I spent a few grand with them to have the box built. Obviously when you compare to an Ainley they're not in the same ballpark. But as my first custom built box she'll last me several years. And I'll learn what I liked and didn't like and adjust to my liking in the future.

In regards to having the handles switched. I just told them to reverse mount the doors so I could have access from the truck bed. Attached is a pic of my box.

Attachments

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have a two hole (it's for sale cheap), it was a great starter box for me, over time i decided I wanted an upgrade. It did serve its purpose. I think the quality is what you pay for it however. I had welds break early on and of course learned the "insulation" was a joke, but my dogs enjoyed ripping it off the side walls! The guys at Diamond Deluxe were easy to work with and overall I was happy with the box, but like I said you get what you pay for. If you can't afford a stainless steel box from Ainley or like competitors, a Diamond Deluxe is a good substitution.

FOM
I would completely agree with everything said here. I also had one several years ago and same story: nice starter box, dog ripped out insulation in one of the holes the first week, etc. If you can't afford or don't want to spend the money for a stainless Ainley or Deerskin, it will do the job.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Don't worry about the insulation David. Water Spaniels are too smart to chew. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts