RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
This is true. Recall issued 5/4/12. I talked to them today.
I buy dog food at Costco and had to throw away 1/3 of a bag that was effected. All I've noticed is runny stools.

At Costco today, they had a recall notice posted and clerks knew about it. They stated they had removed the recalled food, and replaced with new.
The UPC code of my previous bag and what I bought today is different.

Y'all check your Diamond dog food products. It's posted on their web site.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
This is true. Recall issued 5/4/12. I talked to them today.
I buy dog food at Costco and had to throw away 1/3 of a bag that was effected. All I've noticed is runny stools.

At Costco today, they had a recall notice posted and clerks knew about it. They stated they had removed the recalled food, and replaced with new.
The UPC code of my previous bag and what I bought today is different.

Y'all check your Diamond dog food products. It's posted on their web site.

They killed a bunch of dogs a few years ago their food. IMHO they treated those people HORRIBLY.

The company said all the right things in the aftermath of that disaster. talking about how vigilant they would be to avoid this anomoly from ever occuring on their watch. Their marketing plan assured you they had instituted 151 safety checks in order to insure a fail safe system

It appears that was all CYA corporate speak and that Diamond really is only concerned with the short term bottom line.
With Diamonds history on this vitally important issue to our best friends, I can only wonder why you or anyone would ever feed their product again

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
They killed a bunch of dogs a few years ago their food. IMHO they treated those people HORRIBLY.

The company said all the right things in the aftermath of that disaster. talking about how vigilant they would be to avoid this anomoly from ever occuring on their watch. Their marketing plan assured you they had instituted 151 safety checks in order to insure a fail safe system

It appears that was all CYA corporate speak and that Diamond really is only concerned with the short term bottom line.
With Diamonds history on this vitally important issue to our best friends, I can only wonder why you or anyone would ever feed their product again
Amen!
Canidae was added to the recall. They use Diamond to Mfg their food.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) - Federal health officials say at least 14 people in nine states have been infected with salmonella by handling tainted dog food.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said no deaths have been reported, but at least five people have been hospitalized. The pet food was made at Diamond Pet Foods' plant in Gaston, S.C.
The company said no pets were sickened but declined to comment further.
Health officials say people can get salmonella by handling infected dog food, then not washing their hands before eating or handling their own food.
The South Carolina plant was shut down April 7 and food made there has been recalled.
Diamond Pet Foods paid a $3.1 million settlement after a toxic mold in its pet food killed dozens of dogs in 2005.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I can't believe anyone would continue buying their food with all of their continued problems. If an informed customer continues to buy their food they are playing Russian roulette with their dog's health IMO.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I agree with the Russian Roulette statement...I know "$hi! happens" but their track record is terrible. If some of you knew people who lost their dogs in the aflatoxin poisoning, (acquaintences of mine lost HALF their Kennel, over 13 dogs!) you would find another food. I have been tempted many times to switch, (price, grain free, etc) but I always think back to that time and I just cannot do it.

I also quit buying treats made in China, there were certain ones my dogs LOVED, but I love my dogs more, just can't do it.

Earlene

·
Registered
946 Posts
All manufactured products are subject to manufacturing flaws. The safest thing to do if you feed dog food is to buy buy several months of food in advance. If you have a period of time between when you bought it and actually feed it then the recall comes out before you feed it. Dog food has a very long shelf life. Most of the dog foods seem to have about an 18 month shelf life according to the manufacturer.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I also quit buying treats made in China, there were certain ones my dogs LOVED, but I love my dogs more, just can't do it.
I think that is wise. I do not think we should trust China with anything that goes in our mouths or our dog's mouths, whether treats or toys, etc. I've even worried about plastic bumpers...we all know about the problems with lead in children's plastic/rubber toys from China, why would they be concerned about the health of our dogs? This is a place were they murder their own citizens babies if they dare have more than one. If they do not value the lives of their own, why would they value ours or even less so the lives of our pets? They won't. They don't...and QC is nonexistant in China. If they made it they will ship it, they do not scrap ANYTHING. I know whereof I speak as I dealt in Chinese imports for about 12 years. This is not a RACIAL condemnation, so don't even go there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Amen!
Canidae was added to the recall. They use Diamond to Mfg their food.
Diamond owns Canidae, they purchased the company years back...around the time they changed the ingredients making it a lesser quality kibble than what it once was and started out as. Prior to the sell you had a better quality kibble, larger bags, better breeder programs, never had to worry about recalls as they manufactured their own stuff, etc. Now it's just one of many, many brands Diamond owns, markets, and manufactures.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I think that is wise. I do not think we should trust China with anything that goes in our mouths or our dog's mouths, whether treats or toys, etc. I've even worried about plastic bumpers...we all know about the problems with lead in children's plastic/rubber toys from China, why would they be concerned about the health of our dogs? This is a place were they murder their own citizens babies if they dare have more than one. If they do not value the lives of their own, why would they value ours or even less so the lives of our pets? They won't. They don't...and QC is nonexistant in China. If they made it they will ship it, they do not scrap ANYTHING. I know whereof I speak as I dealt in Chinese imports for about 12 years. This is not a RACIAL condemnation, so don't even go there.
I was told about the plastic bumpers and that here in the US there are regulations on what can be in the plastic but in china they can put anything in it and still ship it over here. that is why some bumpers get that slimy film on them (not dog slobber) or get real sticky, it is the make up of the plastic. I switched to bumpers made here in the USA. as far as the dog food I have the same feeling as most and I know some are die hard people that wont switch and that is their choice but given the track record... that's all I am going to say.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Where can I find a complete list of food on the recall list? I think diamond makes taste of the wild, correct? Is it on the list?

·
Registered
225 Posts
It would be interesting to know where the major bumper manufacturers get there bumpers from.

By the way, Foxnews just released an expanded list of brands that may be contaminated.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
It would be interesting to know where the major bumper manufacturers get there bumpers from.
Most are imported from China although I've been told there are a couple that are made in the USA...can't remember which ones. There was a thread at one time that if I remember correctly asserted that when a certain company (I remember which one, just don't want to open that can of worms or have anyone think I'm disparaging them) had a give away of a pink bumper for a dog food company, the dog food company had them test the bumpers and they tested OK for such things as lead...however, I do not trust Chinese manufacturers to keep, for instance, an approved formula that IS safe consistent over time if they think they can fudge and make an extra penny...and from experience I know that you cannot control their quality unless you had immense resources to have your own people on the ground like a huge company like Proctor & Gamble (just for instance) could do if they wanted to (and probably do). Otherwise its all hogwash. Bumper companies, retriever supply companies, simply do not have those kind of resources. You can send a QC guy over there but when he isn't actually there they will do whatever they want. You can put a Chinese QC guy in their plant to represent you but the factory finds and recommends him to you and he knows he really owes his job to them and he is just a puppet. Been there, done all of that.

·
Registered
877 Posts
This is what I received via email

Diamond Pet Foods Expands Voluntary Recall of Dry Pet Food Due to Potential SalmonellaContamination

Batches of the brands manufactured between
December 9, 2011 and April 7, 2012 are affected
Consumer Contact: 866-918-8756
Media Contact: 816-255-1974
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – May 4, 2012
Diamond Pet Foods today announced that it is expanding a voluntary recall to include batches of nine
brands of dry pet food formulas manufactured between December 9, 2011 and April 7, 2012 due to
potential Salmonella contamination.
In April 2012, Diamond Pet Foods initiated three voluntary recalls of Diamond manufactured dry dog
food. Although none of the additional products being recalled have tested positive for Salmonella, the
company is pulling them from store shelves as a precaution. Diamond Pet Foods is coordinating efforts
with federal and state health and regulatory agencies and decided to independently expand the recall to
ensure the safety and well-being of customers and their pets.
The company stated: “We have taken corrective actions at our Gaston, S.C., facility and voluntarily
expanded the recall out of concern for our customers and their pets.”
Brands included in the recall include:

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul
Country Value
Diamond
Diamond Naturals
Premium Edge
Professional
4Health
Taste of the Wild

To determine if their pet food is recalled, consumers should check the production codes on the back of
bags that have a number “2” or a “3” in the 9th or 10th digit and an “X” in the 11th digit. The best-before
dates for the recalled brands listed above are December 9, 2012 through April 7, 2013.

The recall affects only products distributed in the following U.S. states and Canada. Further distribution through other pet food channels may have occurred.
Alabama
Florida
Georgia
Indiana
Kentucky
Massachusetts
Maryland
Michigan
Mississippi
New York
North Carolina
Ohio
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
Tennessee
Virginia
Canada

Diamond Pet Foods apologizes for any issues this may cause consumers and their pets. Pet owners who are unsure if the product they purchased is included in the recall, or who would like replacement product or a refund, may contact Diamond Pet Foods via a toll free call at 1-866-918-8756, Monday through Sunday, 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. EST. Consumers may also go to a special website, www.diamondpetrecall.com, for more information. The company is working with distributors and retailers to ensure all affected product is removed from shelves.
Pets with Salmonella infections may have decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. If left untreated, pets may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever and vomiting. Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian.
Individuals handling dry pet food can become infected with Salmonella, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with surfaces exposed to this product. People who believe they may have been exposed to Salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. According to the Centers for Disease Control, people who are more likely to be affected by Salmonella include infants, children younger than 5 years old, organ transplant patients, people with HIV/AIDS and people receiving treatment for cancer. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) have received a limited number of reports of salmonellosis, the illness caused by Salmonella. We are working with the CDC, but due to patient confidentiality, we cannot comment further.

·
Registered
288 Posts
What do you guys suggest I switch to? I was feeding diamond naturals extreme athlete. I like it because it scored very high on dogfoodadvisor.com bc it contained very little bad grains i.e. corn and such. What would be another dog food that is comparable to 32% protein similar energy content as well as a competitive price? ~$35 for a forty pound bag. I thought this was a steal until this recall came out.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
These people at Diamond should be in jail!!! :mad:
Folks, you are talking about feeding your family here(your dogs).
Why cut corners? $8-$10 a bag more for quality food for your family.
The cost of a cheap lunch or 1 drink in a bar.
This should be a no brainer for everyone, stop feeding this Sh!t.
The only way to stop Diamond is to stop buying their products.

I hope all persons and dogs affected by this are OK.

Gregg Leonard

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I fed it for over 15 years now threw beagles and now labs.I gave them the benefit of the doubt on the recall several years back. First time shame on them, second time shame on me. I swithched after the recall in April. Wheres PETA at when you need them:)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I fed it for over 15 years now threw beagles and now labs.I gave them the benefit of the doubt on the recall several years back. First time shame on them, second time shame on me. I swithched after the recall in April. Wheres PETA at when you need them:)
I believed that the quality process would have been restructured after the 2005 recall so I've been feeding diamond natural large breed puppy to my 11 mo. :???:Am currently searching for a replacement food. EVO and Orijen are looking pretty good to me right now.

Kevin

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.