RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,252 Posts

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Diamond lost my respect after the first problem they had years ago. Plus my dogs did terrible on it.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Here is the FDA findings from the Diamond aflatoxin recall of 2005. The have had multiple recalls since.

http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/Centers...fdaSearch&utm_medium=website&utm_term=diamond

Note item #s 4 and 5. These folks are a not just producing bad dog food, they are bad people.
How many time are people gonna beat this dead horse? What does 2005 have to do with anything. I don't see people bashing the egg producers when they had their big issue. I bet you still eat eggs.
How about this for issue.
http://www.globalanimal.org/2012/04/06/purina-nestle-dog-treats-deadly/71639/

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
How many time are people gonna beat this dead horse? What does 2005 have to do with anything. I don't see people bashing the egg producers when they had their big issue. I bet you still eat eggs.
This horse aint dead, only the dogs that ate the dog food are dead. This horse is still out making bad dog food. And as the FDA noted in 2005, this wasn't a freak accident. Take a look at the FDA report. There is a pattern here.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
This horse aint dead, only the dogs that ate the dog food are dead. This horse is still out making bad dog food. And as the FDA noted in 2005, this wasn't a freak accident. Take a look at the FDA report. There is a pattern here.
Where's the report from 2012? Let's see reports since then. Sominella can crop up at any time. Testing could have been clear but cropped up after bagging. They caught it and they are recalling.
I've had nothing but good luck with diamond.
So your thought on my link?

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
ep
Where's the report from 2012? Let's see reports since then. Sominella can crop up at any time. Testing could have been clear but cropped up after bagging. They caught it and they are recalling.
I've had nothing but good luck with diamond.
So your thought on my link?
I have no need to look at your link.

Keep feeding Diamond if you want to, after all dogs are only chattle. One dies, just get another, no big deal, right?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Diamond sucks. I've never seen a dog do decent on it.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Mine does fine on Diamond as well.

You can Google any pet food and find out that all of them have been recalled. For example, Eukanuba was subject to a recall in 2011 for plant conditions favorable to the development of salmonella.

It's unfortunate, but all of them have occasional issues. It certainly does not make them bad people, at least in my estimation.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Don't forget Jack in the box, cantaloupes, spinach, lettuce....the list goes on and on....like some of the people on this forum!! :)

Remember too, many manufacturing plants "farm out" certain items that they sell. Case in point, I worked for 5 yrs at Baldwin Filters in Kearney NE. We also made our competitors filters, Fram, Thermal King, Clark (our owner), Wix, John Deere, Case, etc... due to assembly lines being set for certain specs and capabilities. They would in turn make some of our (Baldwin and Clark) filters so that we didn't have to have a multitude of manufacturing plants/lines.

Diamond makes a number of other products/ "brands" under different names. Does this mean that you are going to not buy them as well? If so, this is going to really limit your choices on dog food, especially if you cut out every single company that has had a serious problem (read as recalls due to death or illness of dogs/cats) with any of their foods that they produce.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
...Diamond makes a number of other products/ "brands" under different names. Does this mean that you are going to not buy them as well? ...
That is exactly what it means. I'll limit my choices is absolutley correct. I'll limit my choices to the companies that haven't kill hundreds of dogs, that didn't "lose" 50% of the retention samples when the FDA was coming to investigate, that didn't accept shipments of feed ingredients that had failed their own specifications, and those companies that didn't deny payment of claims to those customers whose dogs died horrible deaths because customers had returned unused food after a recall.

You Diamond lovers out there need to do some research and find out what Diamond knew about the corn crop in 2005 before hundreds of dogs were killed; find out about the pattern of disregard for quality control measure that would have prevented the deaths of hundreds of dogs; find out how Schell and Kampeter (Diamond) denied the claims of customers. Or, you can go on supporting a company that has clearly shown an absolute disregard for the safety of your pet. Your a grown up, and they are only dogs.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Captjack, did you have a dog die from this? You are pretty vocal against diamond. I figure to have that much hatred, you must have been personally been impacted.

I didn't feed Diamond in 05-06 so really it didn't affect me any. I do feed Di Nat extreme athlete now and have for a couple years and have found it to be as good as if not better than any food I have ever fed.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I've been feeding Diamond Naturals and my dogs do great on it!!. In the last couple of years how many times has E. Coli popped up in spinach, celery and other vegetables? Or how about salmonilla in various meets? Yes I beleive even Eukanuba had a recall a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Even though buying a higher priced food does not guarantee there will be no recalls, the majority of people that are attracted to Diamond is price and their dogs do well on it. Anytime you are looking at lower priced food, you basically are looking for a company that does not put the highest priced ingredients in their food, because if they do, the price has to go up, or they can't make a profit. As soon as the price goes up, people complain and go find a lower priced food and the risk goes up. Where do you think they find all that meat to make that cheap dogfood but lower grade butchered stock and lower grade grains.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I have never fed Diamond personally, but I did know someone who lost over half of their kennel (13 dogs) to the aflatoxin poisioning. I have always fed Purina PP, I will say that as soon as the problem went public, I received a letter and a phone call from Purina saying that their foods were safe and I had nothing to worry about. Now I am not that naive to think that something can NEVER happen with any company. But the 2005 problem was enough for me to stick with Purina even when the prices for ALL foods went up. I was feeding 6 dogs when Tractor Supply came out with their 4health food and I really wanted to switch for the price, but when I found out it was made by Diamond, I just couldn't do it.

I think those who knew about the 2005 issue, and especially if you knew someone who lost a dog or dogs, just want to warn people to be aware. This is a free country, the choice is always yours.

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
I have never fed Diamond personally, but I did know someone who lost over half of their kennel (13 dogs) to the aflatoxin poisioning. I have always fed Purina PP, I will say that as soon as the problem went public, I received a letter and a phone call from Purina saying that their foods were safe and I had nothing to worry about. Now I am not that naive to think that something can NEVER happen with any company. But the 2005 problem was enough for me to stick with Purina even when the prices for ALL foods went up. I was feeding 6 dogs when Tractor Supply came out with their 4health food and I really wanted to switch for the price, but when I found out it was made by Diamond, I just couldn't do it.

I think those who knew about the 2005 issue, and especially if you knew someone who lost a dog or dogs, just want to warn people to be aware. This is a free country, the choice is always yours.
Nice post Lennie. Coincidentally, I let us run out of dog food, (Euk PP) on Easter weekend. Having to grab something at the last minute I was going into a store to buy some Taste of the Wild, wetlands formula as my dogs have enjoyed that in the past. But I had just read about this Diamond recall, and remembered that TOTW is a Diamond product as well. I am not a Diamond "hater", but my head was telling me the TOTW could have been produced in the same factory, and my heart was asking me are you willing to chance it? My answer was no, so I bought a small bag of some ridiculously overpriced organic food with no grain produced in small batches. It got us through the day, now off to buy my by weekly 40#s of Euk!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts

This is all I am saying. It could happen to anybody feeding any food. I can find no dog food manufacturer that has not been subject to a recall of one kind or another.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts