RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering.

Also, I have another question:

Back in the really old days, wasn't it the dogma that you really locked the dog down on marking before moving on to handling? That is to say, did one much put a lot of emphasis on a dog handling much before their derby years were up? I kinda thought that was from D.L. but it's been years since I could find my copy of the book so I could be wrong.

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
That reminds me. I wonder if Vickie Lamb will ever get her book finished. :(

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
I have a copy of Rex Carr's notes ... a 3" binder full of notes. I don't believe he ever made it any further than that. I loaned the notes to Vickie Lamb for work on her book but don't know whether she's completed it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have a binder that says "Dog Training Bible" on an attached label and it is Rex Carr notes. I used to have a lot of loose notes from him stuck in folders given to me by others, and would have to go back through my many file drawers to see where they are. When I first started and was trying to find someone who could throw some birds for my dog --- I wanted a wc on her --- through serendipity I met someone who had kept a Lab with Rex for years. She had lots of copies of old letters he had written to clients, etc. Really interesting and a treasure trove. Am not sure what her family did with them once she died. The family was from out of the area and if I had known more in those days, I would have tracked them down and tried to get hold of the letters.

There are some excellent pros out there that spent a lot of time working with Rex, such as Rorem, Sargenti, Patopea, etc., and I bet they have some notebooks lying around somewhere.

Glenda

Glenda

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I have a copy of Rex Carr's notes ... a 3" binder full of notes. I don't believe he ever made it any further than that. I loaned the notes to Vickie Lamb for work on her book but don't know whether she's completed it.
Was this 10 years ago? I'd bet pretty good money that book never sees the light of day.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
There are some excellent pros out there that spent a lot of time working with Rex, such as Rorem, Sargenti, Patopea, etc., and I bet they have some notebooks lying around somewhere. Glenda
Add to your list of pros Danny Farmer, Don Remien, Rick and Patti Roberts, and Jim Kappes.

Billy Sargenti grew up with Rex and of the pros mentioned had vastly more exposure to him. The amateurs, Lanse and Dana Brown, Judy (Weikel) Aycock, Rick and Patti Roberts, and Delma Hazzard to name a few had significantly more time with Rex than any pro except Billy. Rex's notes were copied and widely distributed but as anyone who was around him over a long period of time can attest he was subject to change as happened most visibly with selection.

Beyond Rex's immense primary contributions to dog training came the secondary ones passed by some of the above to the next generation of trainers e.g. Dana to Remien, Judy to Danny, Kappes to Lardy etc.

·
Registered
7,630 Posts
O
Add to your list of pros Danny Farmer, Don Remien, Rick and Patti Roberts, and Jim Kappes.

Billy Sargenti grew up with Rex and of the pros mentioned had vastly more exposure to him. The amateurs, Lanse and Dana Brown, Judy (Weikel) Aycock, Rick and Patti Roberts, and Delma Hazzard to name a few had significantly more time with Rex than any pro except Billy. Rex's notes were copied and widely distributed but as anyone who was around him over a long period of time can attest he was subject to change as happened most visibly with selection.

Beyond Rex's immense primary contributions to dog training came the secondary ones passed by some of the above to the next generation of trainers e.g. Dana to Remien, Judy to Danny, Kappes to Lardy etc.
Great history of the game info right here Ed. Thanks.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
I have Rex Carr notes from Lanse and his former wife Dana Brown...Dana is credited with teaching both Don Remien and Jack Vollstedt how to train a dog....and depending on who you ask, she also taught Lanse :razz::razz:

Jim Dobbs was also a Rex Carr assistant for about 5 yrs, but they parted ways after some philosophical differences...Jim then teamed with Alice Woodyard to produce the Tri Troniics training book...He had some input on the R&D of the variable frequency collar as we know it today

·
Registered
964 Posts

Dr. Ed has identified a key often ignored contribution. Rex's 2nd generation protégées!! And I daresay there is a 3rd generation now! There are tons of notes floating around, some from Rex, some letters to clients and most by his students.

Rex was constantly changing details, based on the record of notes andthose who knew him. His standards and passion for the dogs never changed. But the Rex Carr on the Carr/Rorem DVD is quite different than the earlier Carr.

I suspect extremely few really understood Rex and his lateral thinking and insight into dogs. Perhaps Judy Aycock came closest and at the end Rorem, who became Rex's major pass along disciple, along of course with long time student Sargenti.

As Dr.Ed identified Lardy learned Rex's program steps from Kappes but Mike did a study visit with Rex in the late 90's. He tweaked the BB Blinds and Tune-ups to what many of us follow today. In my study visit to Rex, with Rorem, I learned much and refined my training. Drills like my swim-by tune-up and cast into water drill and water tune-ups had their genesis from Rex.

I, like others, who have much more experience, with could go on and on, but I fear there will never be an accurate chronicle of the real story about Rex including all the evolution and game-changing developments!!

PS. There is an audio tape of a Rex Carr workshop in the 70's in Colorado! It is gold. Try to find it!

·
Registered
40 Posts
We have some extremely talented and very well respected members. I would like to ask if they would share their stories,some of his teachings and the history of Rex Carr. Possibly in a new thread? Many of us try to use his methods and struggle,few had the privilege of meeting him and fewer to be his students.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
I had the tapes of Rex's seminar put on CD....

I also scanned in numerous binders of notes....

:) I'm a junkie.

·
Registered
180 Posts
bumped this to the top. Interesting. Was the book ever finished? I'd be very interested in reading Rex's notes and thoughts about training.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Add Mark Smith to the list as well.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I just dug up an old training manual I've had for some time. (new dog showing a ton of potential has got my juices flowing to get back training and running events eventually).
Was given to me by a trainer I worked for one winter. There is no cover and it is written as notes by what I am guessing is a student of Rex Carr taking notes directly from Rex, almost like it is an interview or class. It is very extensive, but jumps around a lot. Hand drawn diagrams, with typed (not computer) notes/explanation. Lots of reference to this persons dog named "Doc". Quite obvious these notes are not written by Rex, but dictated directly from Rex Carr. Just curious who the person was who wrote it. Only reference was their dog "Doc".

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
Could be Delma

1 - 20 of 34 Posts