RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Could be Delma
Likely was Delma. Thankfully she is back in the sport and doing very well. Training with her is a blast, and you will learn a lot. She loves helping new people in the sport.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Could be Delma

Oh my....I bet you are right...Delma Hazzard NAFC FC AFC Dude's Double or Nothin' "Doc"

I'd guess this manual was written sometime in the mid to late 1970's.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a Rex Carr &Dave Rorem Training manual, 46 pages,mentions thanking Delma for the use of some of her notes.The booklet is typed . Don't know where i got it have probably had it 20 years or more.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just curious does anyone know if the book ever got finished?

Also would anyone be willing to make a copy of some of those notes from Rex and share with a young trainer? I'd be willing to pay for the time and materials to make the copy's and cost of shipping.

·
Registered
9,748 Posts
Just curious does anyone know if the book ever got finished?

Also would anyone be willing to make a copy of some of those notes from Rex and share with a young trainer? I'd be willing to pay for the time and materials to make the copy's and cost of shipping.
Vicki Lamb was working on a book years ago but nothing came of it. I have pages of Rex notes but they are almost 50 years old, interesting historically but less relevant given the meteoric advance in technology and training technique. He was an innovator with great insight into dog behavior. He possessed an uncanny instinct into training. I was fortunate to have spent so time looking over his shoulder and running my dog with him looking over my shoulder. Most successful field trial trainers today have principles learned from Rex or passed down to them and then to the third and fourth generation of trainers.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Having not been around a long time but, having spent a lot of time with some old timers, listening to the stories from second and third hands and trying to remember how the old timers told them to me. Wish I would have written more down. Not many stories I see people write down here line up well with how the guys playing in the 1960s tell them

·
Registered
204 Posts
Vicki Lamb was working on a book years ago but nothing came of it. I have pages of Rex notes but they are almost 50 years old, interesting historically but less relevant given the meteoric advance in technology and training technique. He was an innovator with great insight into dog behavior. He possessed an uncanny instinct into training. I was fortunate to have spent so time looking over his shoulder and running my dog with him looking over my shoulder. Most successful field trial trainers today have principles learned from Rex or passed down to them and then to the third and fourth generation of trainers.
Well -- I am still working on the Rex book. I have all of his archives. I have his youth scrapbooks, slides and 8 mm movies, his high school and college diplomas, his scrapbooks and notes on WWII and his participation as a Major, his Purple Heart, his chess set, his military uniform and American Flag, his Library, his music, and most important, all of his meticulous training notes, and all the folders and files he kept on every person and every dog that ever came through CL2 and Escalon, and his National notes. And an amazing collection of photos. I have handwritten notes of his, typed notes of his, and even floppy disk records from when he was transcribing things to the new computer age. And many various copies of the different sets of notes that have circulated among retriever folk throughout the country.

When I went out to Rex's I had a budget to stay for 6 weeks under extreme budgeting and ended up staying for 2+ years that first trip. We shared much besides dog training, most particularly his horses/cutting horses, pack trips, and memory drills, among many other special things. While coming back one night from a weekend pack trip and creeping down the mountain in a blinding snow, he shared a story about a mountain lion hunting trip with the legendary Wiley Carroll, and a hound named Pilot. (I had by this time shipped my young hound out to Escalon from South Carolina, having learned of Rex's affinity for hounds.) ----

To fast forward, a few years later, I wrote a story about that specific lion hunt, and sent a copy to Rex. He was astounded at the accurate attention to detail about many things large and small "that I couldn't have known and how did I do that" ... and then I shared with him that I had also interviewed Wiley himself during the creation of that story. (Wiley was a legendary lion hunter from Ely, Nevada.) It was then when Rex began discussing book matters with me, and specifically because of the detailed, accurate nature of that article, as well as additional things that had occurred in daily, real-time life that mattered to him, of which those specifics are very special. It was at this time that Rex authorized me to write a book about him, and we began exchanging information ....

This has been a tremendous effort and one that I surely wish was already completed, I travel with parts of this book and continue to work on it. My goal is to have it completed as early as possible in 2022, and possibly sooner.

·
Registered
9,182 Posts
I look forward to Vickie's book, hopefully sooner than later.

My memory of Rex Carr is seeing him in person at the McCall trial. Every day at breakfast in the local eatery
those clients still competing had breakfast with Rex. Not a competitor meant you ate at a different table. The
4 days we attended meant the table got smaller daily. Until I met & became friends with Lanse I did not really
understand the mentality behind that setting.

Reactions: Chris Atkinson

·
Registered
618 Posts
A monumental task for sure Vicki! I would venture to guess that your attention to detail and ability to articulate the detail will be well worth the wait!!!

·
Registered
8,327 Posts

My memory of Rex Carr is seeing him in person at the McCall trial. Every day at breakfast in the local eatery
those clients still competing had breakfast with Rex. Not a competitor meant you ate at a different table. The
4 days we attended meant the table got smaller daily. Until I met & became friends with Lanse I did not really
Marvin sincere thanks for sharing these words. It is impactful to me.

Chris.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts

Maybe explains Lance a little better. :)

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Well -- I am still working on the Rex book. I have all of his archives. I have his youth scrapbooks, slides and 8 mm movies, his high school and college diplomas, his scrapbooks and notes on WWII and his participation as a Major, his Purple Heart, his chess set, his military uniform and American Flag, his Library, his music, and most important, all of his meticulous training notes, and all the folders and files he kept on every person and every dog that ever came through CL2 and Escalon, and his National notes. And an amazing collection of photos. I have handwritten notes of his, typed notes of his, and even floppy disk records from when he was transcribing things to the new computer age. And many various copies of the different sets of notes that have circulated among retriever folk throughout the country.

When I went out to Rex's I had a budget to stay for 6 weeks under extreme budgeting and ended up staying for 2+ years that first trip. We shared much besides dog training, most particularly his horses/cutting horses, pack trips, and memory drills, among many other special things. While coming back one night from a weekend pack trip and creeping down the mountain in a blinding snow, he shared a story about a mountain lion hunting trip with the legendary Wiley Carroll, and a hound named Pilot. (I had by this time shipped my young hound out to Escalon from South Carolina, having learned of Rex's affinity for hounds.) ----

To fast forward, a few years later, I wrote a story about that specific lion hunt, and sent a copy to Rex. He was astounded at the accurate attention to detail about many things large and small "that I couldn't have known and how did I do that" ... and then I shared with him that I had also interviewed Wiley himself during the creation of that story. (Wiley was a legendary lion hunter from Ely, Nevada.) It was then when Rex began discussing book matters with me, and specifically because of the detailed, accurate nature of that article, as well as additional things that had occurred in daily, real-time life that mattered to him, of which those specifics are very special. It was at this time that Rex authorized me to write a book about him, and we began exchanging information ....

This has been a tremendous effort and one that I surely wish was already completed, I travel with parts of this book and continue to work on it. My goal is to have it completed as early as possible in 2022, and possibly sooner.

Good to hear it is still a work in progress. It interests me greatly not only for the dog related stuff but for it's historical value. Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The two books currently available from, and written by Ken Thorsen "Competitive Retriever Training" and "Transitional Training for Retrievers" both make significant reference Rex Carr's methods, philosophy and history. I have both books and find them valuable

21 - 34 of 34 Posts