RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here is the set up...sounds like a handful...would have loved to watch the action or at least the diagram of the set up

we had a land double double which was a "blood bath". We had a thrown
dead duck diagonally back on the side of a mound and the gun
retired.This bird was 1st. Then we shot a flying pheasant(hen) flat
out to the left in the middle of a flat grass field. Well the memory
bird was through 3 ponds(pot holes) and was very tough to get for even
when the dog arrived at the bird area , the bird was on a side hill
allowing no way to scent unless the dog stayed in the area which all
but 2 or 3 did.Then we had another double- it too was a b**** and
again lots of failures. Long retired thrown left to right(hen
pheasant) then a shot duck flyer .

Most dogs were influenced by the
earlier birds on the long retired and since the bird was along a tree
line when the dog approached the tree line(wall) it turned away from
the bird and had long hunts or a handle.

We next moved to another pond
and did a double blind. Land with a dry shot and shave the gun in
front and at the same time go through a stand of uncut grass close to
the dry shot shooter. Then a very difficult H2O blind transecting the
initial line to the land blind. It was through 2 small bodies of H20
in front and then land for 40 yards (tall grass-hard to see dog)
reenter a cove and break out to sea or at least (best) stay on line
and reappear, then parallel the shore and at 200 yards shave a point ,
get out run 75 yards against a crosswind to the blind. Lots of hacking
and upon hitting land for the blind a BIG fade to the left with the
wind.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Bon,

Which training group for this set up?

Hedlen

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
Probably Eckett/Rorem

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Probably Eckett/Rorem
No Really???

I have attended several pre-national training weeks... No surprise for me...

I hope you get to attend one soon Bon.. You would be welcome with open arms...

Angie

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No Really???

I have attended several pre-national training weeks... No surprise for me...

I hope you get to attend one soon Bon.. You would be welcome with open arms...

Angie
I have been a spectator at two...one in Sacramento and one in Texas at Montgomery...been to a couple of pre National training sessions, you see who gets ramped up and who takes it in stride..the biggest difference is the pre National sessions I attended were ALL amateur affairs, the ones today seem to be tune up clinics conducted by Pro A or 1A and their clients, those would be interesting to see the dynamic ....it has a lot of common features to professional golfers preparing for a major, where everyone has their entourage, including psychologists,go fers and confidants..

That part of the game intrigues me

·
Registered
921 Posts
Actually the flyer was memory bird and dead bird on mound was go bird for first double. Still killed em. At least while I was watching.

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
Interesting to see the dynamic ....it has a lot of common features to professional golfers preparing for a major, where everyone has their entourage, including psychologists,go fers and confidants..

That part of the game intrigues me
And who were you observing? The National Am groups I have participated in mostly had entourages of one - the owner/handler.

·
Registered
7,630 Posts
And who were you observing? The National Am groups I have participated in mostly had entourages of one - the owner/handler.
I've seen groups where you have co-owner's and their spouses (or significant other) at the training goup. Not every day... but sometimes at the start of the week. In the case I'm thinking of in particular it was me...

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
My guess what Bon was pointing out is the Owner/Handlers Pro was there to encourage/support and COACH, just like at the US Open that is about to start this morning.

Just a hunch though. Maybe Bon can clarify when he chimes in later.

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
I've seen groups where you have co-owner's and their spouses (or significant other) at the training goup. Not every day... but sometimes at the start of the week. In the case I'm thinking of in particular it was me...

Ok, an entourage of one?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Yesterday was watching Mike Lardy's pre-training session in Valders WI. Forgot to ask them - so I will ask here - how do you qualify for the National Amateur? Not that I'd think I'd every qualify but just wondering.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Ted : I was referring to professional golfers with their entourage (swing coach,sports psychologist,support staff,GF..) not a FT with an entourage...heck maybe they exist too:cool:

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Yesterday was watching Mike Lardy's pre-training session in Valders WI. Forgot to ask them - so I will ask here - how do you qualify for the National Amateur? Not that I'd think I'd every qualify but just wondering.
Seven total points accumulated including a win. The win is worth 5, second is worth 3, third is worth 1 and fourth is worth a half point.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1.winning the year's previous National Open with an Amateur handler

2. winning the year's previous National Amateur

3. winning the year's previous Canadian National Amateur or Open as an Amateur (I think, but could be wrong on this)

4. a WIN in an AA Open/Ltd/Restricted or Amateur stake + 2 additional points in one of those stakes- all while being handled by an Amateur

1 - 20 of 42 Posts