RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently got a new Ford Power stroke . I have a few things in mind on chips for horse power and fuel economy. I was looking @ the edge products anyone out there have any suggestions on which chip to install. Or should I wait it has 3500 miles on it right now. Its not huring in the horsepower department This machine will run but would like to get better mileage.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Go with the edge with the attitude controler. I had it on my 7.3 and now have it on my Duramax. Improves gas mileage a little but dont look for huge jumps. However in the power department it is like waking a sleeping giant! It also has all the insturments you could want and shuts the chip down if too much power is going to the tranny or the EGT is too high.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I installed a chip in my previous 2003 f 250 powerstroke. I don't remember the brand I think it was around $ 500.00. It worked really well. Increased my average mileage on combination in town and road driving to 19.3 miles per gallon where I was getting 16 tops. Power was improved as well. The truck had about 12,000 miles on it when I had it installed.
Gene

·
Registered
328 Posts
If it is an 08 with the new 6.4 better not as it will void factory warranty. Ford factory rep advised us that it will cost owners big bucks as problems will occur with the new diesel.
________
Gay boy

·
Registered
363 Posts
For all but the biggest towing jobs I can't think that you would need more torque. If you're doing it just for the fuel mileage I don't think you will see much improvement in fuel mileage. Maybe a little more on the 7.3. But if you just got a new one it must be 6.0 or 6.4. We have had to replace a lot of manual trans on chipped power strokes, so beware of that. And yes, if the dealer wants to any warranty repairs can be voided by chips.
Troy

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
You can't hide MONEY! :lol:

Good for you brother! Where are the pictures?

·
Registered
363 Posts
For all but the biggest towing jobs I can't think that you would need more torque. If you're doing it just for the fuel mileage I don't think you will see much improvement in fuel mileage. Maybe a little more on the 7.3. But if you just got a new one it must be 6.0 or 6.4. We have had to replace a lot of manual trans on chipped power strokes, so beware of that. And yes, if the dealer wants to any warranty repairs can be voided by chips.
Troy

·
Registered
844 Posts
If you chip it, you also need to add the exhaust. I used a Bullydog package on my 02 Ford, and with the big air intake, the exhaust and the chip I get 4 more mpg. Bullydog has the lowest exhaust temps.

The Ford dealer here was fine with it because I had installed the intake and the exhaust, too.

We also have an 05 and an o7, but they are fast enough without any enhancements!

Sondra

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The exhaust has all ready been done it is a Regency Conversion with the whole 9 yards..For towing applications M-F I pull heavy equipment Excavators, dozers , etc....REAL HEAVY STEEL ALL OVER THE PLACE..I appreciate all the input I am sold on the edge ordered it this morning....RGM. I will send you some pics this afternoon.......

·
Registered
892 Posts
Patrick Johndrow said:
In the long run you will be better off NOT chipping your engine.
I would agree, unless you want to fix other problems you will be creating on your own, because everything else in the drive train has just become a weak link. The vehicle was designed as a system, and if you change part of the system for more power other parts are at risk of wearing out or breaking.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
When I was younger I thought going fast was the way to go. Course I was on the go much more than now. Now that I'm older and only going once, I'm fine with making the trip last longer. I'm pretty sure my passenger feels the same way. Some things should take time...

/Paul

·
Registered
864 Posts
A friend of mine put one in his Ford. Blew a cylinder. Idiot never took the chip out when he took it in for repair. They told him that he voided the warranty by installing this thing. $3000 later the truck is as good as new.

Even with $3 gas it is going to take a lot of miles to recoop the cost of this one :!:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
bullocklabradors said:
Another vote for Edge Juice w/ Attitude, I love mine on my 06 Dodge Cummins. It will really wake up your diesel!

Take Care,

Travis R. Bullock
Got an 06 Cummins that runs like a raped ape without chip. Can't imagine needing more power than what it has. :D

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Bait said:
bullocklabradors said:
Another vote for Edge Juice w/ Attitude, I love mine on my 06 Dodge Cummins. It will really wake up your diesel!

Take Care,

Travis R. Bullock
Got an 06 Cummins that runs like a raped ape without chip. Can't imagine needing more power than what it has. :D
My 05 Duramax seems to have enough power as well. I think if you need more power than that better be looking at a kW or Peterbuilt :wink:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Steve Amrein said:
Bait said:
bullocklabradors said:

Take Care,

Travis R. Bullock
My 05 Duramax seems to have enough power as well. I think if you need more power than that better be looking at a kW or Peterbuilt :wink:
Youbetcha! :wink:

G

·
I ve got an 06 non-man van (non-mega cab) Dodge. This thing flies. Getting 19 MPG on the highway at 70mph and 2300-2400 RPM. On the chips remember you pay to play in the long run.

But then again if its a Ford you might need it. lol! Just kidding

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Didnt want to say about the ford but if you need the chip to keep up :wink:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts