RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know the answer, so I'll ask here.
Why do some labs have big heads and long muzzle, and some with short muzzle?
My trap has a big head and long muzzle, and a friends female black, has a small head, and short muzzle.
Seen many a pic of both, and wondered why 2 types? males and females having both.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
why do some women look like Cindy Crawford while others look like Rosie O'Donnell

or so everyone doesnt think I am misogynistic or chauvinistic

why do some guys look like George Clooney and most others look like George Lopez

·
Registered
408 Posts
Well, I am by no means the one to be answering this, but I think it all comes down to people breeding dogs to get traits that they find desirable. Whether it is color, size, demeanor, proven retrieving lines, size, head shape, etc.

I know some who only like large dogs, so they are more inclined to breed two big labs together hoping for more of the same. I know I was at a hunt test last spring, and one dog there was a fox red lab that to me looked more like a pit bull than anything else. A couple people in the gallery were commenting on the dog, and one said that day prior somebody else had said the same thing to the dogs owner/handler, who became very offensive about the comment. I guess that was a look she liked in her dog.

To each his/her own.

I hope this helped.

Mark L

·
Registered
9,413 Posts
so everyone doesnt think I am misogynistic

HUH????

Gooser

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
As a general rule the- what I call english bred lab is different in looks compared to the field trial bred dogs.Some are bread to look pretty (show dogs) some are breed for high drive (FT)and the looks dont matter depending on what each person is after.(I like em in between)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Had a client bring a young dog out and said, Thats a good lookng dog,don`t ya think?I told him ,Hell,I don`t know.I havn`t seen him work yet.I don`t think he ever got it!Jim

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Some are bred with the standard in mind (both looks and working ability), most aren't.
Boy, isn't that the truth, though I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say "most". Many, yes... and I think FB brings out the worst in both ends of the spectrum lately.

Proper Labrador type goes back to the question of whether the dog is recognizable from a distance as a certain breed. If anyone is confused, look at the Illustrated Standard.

Line Jaw Terrestrial animal Line art Tail

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Bubba- Bubba- BUBBA!!!??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where ARE YOU???!!!?????? :)

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
You know what really gets my goat is I had one judge at an Intl show tell me my tweener girl (who I agree could use more bone, front and coat so I surely wasn't expecting to "win" w/ her... just wanted an impartial evaluation) had TOO LONG of a muzzle and tail, yet in the next sentence said "hands down, if I were choosing a dog to take out hunting, both of your girls would be my picks" (and all 3 judges that weekend said the same). I looked at the lab consistently put up as BOB against my other girl who is very nice, but more "generic" in type. The winner had a short muzzle, short tail, but most incredibly-- terribly weak pasterns/feet that will likely be arthritic and broken down w/in a couple years w/o hunting or doing anything athletic. Crazy, I tell ya....:confused: Now granted these judges (all were AKC judges) may not have been licensed for Labradors, but it sure made me wonder why working function is not being considered more importantly in the ring than it is.

·
Registered
45 Posts
"it sure made me wonder why working function is not being considered more importantly in the ring than it is."

Wheres the "LIKE" button?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yes!!
to balance that I have a friend who is a pro show handler. She was showing at an IABCA show with a client's AKC show titled Lab. Every judge the whole weekend told her the dog was too overweight to be a working dog and that he was nice but needed to drop at least 10 pounds! :) Made me smile to myself, but also is sad that AKC was puting that dog at that weight up over so many others. Needless to say the handler was miffed, since she thinks IABCA is as "easy title..."

·
Registered
310 Posts
if I were choosing a dog to take out hunting, both of your girls would be my picks"
You can take all sorts of "dogs" out hunting, even mixes.... TYPE is what defines a LABRADOR. If the winner had weak pasterns, but otherwise excelled in type, that's one fault. You describe your girl as not excelling in anything typewise (generic), so it sounds as though the judges made the right choice.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I dont think you could look at any of Annes labs and say they didnt look like LABRADORS. Most of whats shown in the ring doesnt look like a labrador to me -so to each their own. Where are the legs on that cute puppy in your avatar?

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I dont think you could look at any of Annes labs and say they didnt look like LABRADORS. Most of whats shown in the ring doesnt look like a labrador to me -so to each their own. Where are the legs on that cute puppy in your avatar?
And where is the LIKE button here? I was at a hunt test today and have to say, I've never had a test where both show and field folks alike haven't gone out of their way to say they like MY labs. :)

And further, here is my "generic" lab who I bet would have had a very good look a few years ago.....

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts