RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who know Dink Samuel please keep him in your thoughts. He has taken a major turn for the worse, his time here appears very short now.

·
Registered
17,222 Posts
Dink has been a member of the SLRC longer than anyone and hopefully earned honorary membership long ago with the club. Long a fixture in the spillway and never without a story to tell, he is a true one-of-a-kind. His involvement with Field Trials goes all the way back to the old-guard of the SLRC, guys like Wil Carroway, Able duTreil, Warren Reuther, Leonard Heatherly, Jack White, Frank "Pancho" Matthews(all but Jack are deceased) and few others.

He will be missed!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sending Prayers for Dink!!
Bobby

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Prayers coming from the North. Hang in there Dink!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Oh Dink,

When you cross that bridge what a joyful reunion it will be. My prayers are with you my friend.

Marty

·
Registered
415 Posts
Dink is a good man. Full of laughter and fun. I very much enjoyed my time with him...one of the bright lights in our sport.

Bill

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
It makes me very sad to think of not getting cornered by Dink and getting my ear talked off about everything under the sun.

The first time I met him (years ago), I was working a trial and he asked me to help him move some equipment "for a few minutes". Two hours later, and after a sightseeing tour of the Spillway, I made it back to my stake. :)

And I still see him flapping his arms and tromping a circle on a sandbar in the Spillway, yelling "no, no, NO!" in response to a set-up he didn't like. :)

He will be sorely missed by South La RC.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Dink is such a nice, friendly person. I cannot imagine a better ambassador for the dog sports. He always took extra time with the newbies at Ponchartrain HRC training days, even though he mostly played another game. I pray he has relief soon, and I for one will greatly miss him.

·
Registered
516 Posts
It makes me very sad to think of not getting cornered by Dink and getting my ear talked off about everything under the sun.

The first time I met him (years ago), I was working a trial and he asked me to help him move some equipment "for a few minutes". Two hours later, and after a sightseeing tour of the Spillway, I made it back to my stake. :)

And I still see him flapping his arms and tromping a circle on a sandbar in the Spillway, yelling "no, no, NO!" in response to a set-up he didn't like. :)

He will be sorely missed by South La RC.
This exactly describes when I met Dink for the first time. He always has a word...

Best wishes, friend.

·
Registered
883 Posts
The Spillway will not be the same without Dink! SLRC should suggest to the Corps that they name a pond or a training area after Dink, he was such a fixture down there. I met Dink back when I was living back in Ala and would come to the Spillway to run pups in some of the tests down there, back in the early 80s. Brings back some fond memories, he will be missed, one of a kind. Bill

·
Registered
526 Posts
My friend Dink. Bobby and Valerie stopped to spend the night with us on their way to the NAtional and filled us in on how he was doing. Dink will be missed by ALL. He is a one of a kind!! Cross the bridge with peace in your heart Dink.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Before Frank and I were "active" in our wonderful sport, we made many "dogless" excursions to field trials to observe magnificent canine talent and their two-legged companions. Many people eyed us with curiosity; but not Dink! We hadn't been at the South Louisiana Trial five minutes when we were met by the Spillway's unofficial greeter, Dink Samuels.

Anyone who has ever met Dink, understands that he has never known a stranger. While captivating us with colorful renditions of Louisiana politics and politicians, he gave a synopsis of each field trialer he introduced us to. By the end of the weekend, we realized we'd been "recruited" by the best!

This Spring, I had the pleasure of training at the Spillway with Dink . . . Dink has a wonderful young Ali pup he calls Tax, because he was born 4/15. We sincerely hope to see Dink handle his young talent this Fall.

Rita

·
Registered
9 Posts
I saw Dink yesterday and told him that everyone was thinking of him. He replied "that is nice to know", so to all that have him in their thoughts and prayers, please know that he appreciates you thinking of him. He is resting as comfortably as possible now and we just pray he does not suffer too long.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Good ole Dink. Fixture in the spillway, and the sport. Always friendly, and up for a conversation, even when he was sound asleep. Literally. Legendary sleep walker and talker! Sometimes we laugh to keep from crying. Having said that, the thought of Dink sleeping on heavy pain meds gives me a giggle. Praying for your peace, old dog man!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts