RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal for a bitch to have a discharge with a little blood in it 4 days after whelping?

Thank you.

·
Registered
227 Posts
As long as its dark blood ( old blood) it is normal, in moderate amounts, if it starts getting red or fresh looking maybe have a vet take a look.

·
Registered
14 Posts
4 days is a little long but it happens as already said if it is red it is fresh and needs to be looked at if it is dark and has other stuff with it she is just passing the leftovers.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
When my avatar had her last litter you could still see some dark discharge two weeks later in her urine. I knew 'cause it was winter and she was peeing on snow.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Yes.

My girls usually have discharge for at least 2 to 3 weeks after a whelping... it progressively gets darker and the amount lessens. Even a month is not unheard of.

As long as it doesn't stink, usually everything is O.K.

I continue to take bitches temp for at least a week after whelping also in case things start to go south.

If you are in doubt about anything, PLEASE give your vet a call. That's what we pay the big bucks for. ;-)

OH! Black dog owners might not see the discharge but since Howard mentioned the snow....my girls have cream colored feathers and a full tail (think fluffy dogs :cool:) so we see this all the time.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Yes, it's normal, and like Linda said it can even happen at a mont. As long as it doesn't smell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts