RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the gunners-up/zinger retireed gunners help work on retired guns with a winger. In a real retired gun situation with a bird boy you often have nothing left when the gunner goes into the woods or at least it is just a blind. With a remote set up there is the winger, the blind it is behind, the stand for the retired gunner and the smaller blind infront of it hiding the white shirt that just dropped. I know it is all camo or black but does all that stuff give the dog enough visual reference that you are not really working on a retired gunner? Are the helpful, sort of helpful or a waste of money. Right now I only get to train with a group 1 maybe twice a month and need to do more retired gun work.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I used to figure from the line everything was pretty much retired. No white, nothing visible from the line. When the dog gets out there he'll see the wingers and the stuff on the ground so not quite retired then. Still lots better than no training at all. And tell me they don't know what a holding is out in the field. ( I won't believe you)

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I think they're sort of helpful.

A step on the road to learning totally, nothing out there retired guns.

I use BBs and a retired gun so they're easier to hide. If you put things in front of a low tree or clump of cover it helps a lot too.

It's hard to find but old school "non reflective" camo works better than the new stuff that looks good until the sun shines on it. Then it almost looks white from the reflection.

I think Avery sells woven grass mats that help to break up the holding blinds.

We sometimes retire a gunner behind a camoflage umbrella. He can easily reappear to help. To me the umbrella is very visible sometimes, too visible but the dogs still have trouble with it.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I have Zinger wingers and I hang white shirts from them with a ribbon when they go off the shirts drop to the ground. It is the best I can do training alone and to give the dog the idea of retired guns. One minute they see whit coats then they don't see white coats. Yes they see the wingers when they go for the mark but it is training not testing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts