RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because I got one that does even when it's not warranted.

Its cool inside, no activity, and you'd think this guy just ran 10 miles.

I don't get it. It's been going on for a while. He seems happy as a lark.

I can barely stand to listen to it.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
That's pretty much been my experience.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It could be Laryngeal Paralysis. I have an old golden who has this condition. It is worse in the heat and humidity.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
I would go to the vet. Yes the humidity and heat are harder on them, but it may be a condition that is treatable also.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I find that most older dogs slack instead of pant. ;)

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
My old boy pants too. It can be annoying but I would rather hear the pant than not hear anything. He's a good old boy and cando whatever he wants.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
It could be Laryngeal Paralysis. I have an old golden who has this condition. It is worse in the heat and humidity.
This is what tipped me off with Flash and after another FTer mentioned his dog had the same symptoms. Does he also have a nagging cough? Heat makes it worse. Go have him checked by your Vet.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Drinking more water, too??? Cushing might be something to check out.

Even if everything is OK, yes, old dogs pant more. Just like old guys.;)

JS

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
My dog was just diagnosed with Laryngeal Hemiplegia. Sounds similar to your situation and symptoms. Have him checked out at the vet.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Every once in a while he'll let out a cough like he has a hair ball in his throat. Bout once or twice a month.

He was just at Aycock's a week or so ago for check up. Everything checked ok.

If it is Laryngeal Paralysis, what is the treatment?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My dog was just diagnosed with Laryngeal Hemiplegia. Sounds similar to your situation and symptoms. Have him checked out at the vet.
What is that? And what is the treatment?

G

·
Mine had LP he panted all the time it seemed worse and night his breathing became very labored especially when he would get up after laying down. It also became worse in the heat.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
What is that? And what is the treatment?
It it appears to me it is very similar to Laryngeal paralysis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laryngeal_paralysis.
I was told about the only treatment is surgery, however it is not normally recommended. I did get a prescription for treatment, but it is not a cure and is only given if or when the condition worsens.

Heat appears to be a large factor in making the conditions worse.

I asked the vet if I needed to stop hunting him and he said no. Just watch his breathing and limit his retrieves....no more 600 duck seasons for him. :(

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Laryngeal paralysis is fairly common in older Labs and Goldens. They do pant a lot and can have a cough like trying to get a hairball up. These dogs are a great risk for heat stroke, even if they are not working in the heat. The laryngeal folds are become weakened with age and when the dog breaths in, instead of expanding, the collapse in. Think of sucking liquid up into a straw and what happens when you pull up too hard. The straw collapses flat. When this happens, the dog can not get rid of excess heat, as most of their heat exchange happens with panting (they don't sweat). The harder they pant, the more likely their laryngeal folds will collapse and their temperature will climb very quickly. They get stressed and panic, which makes it worse and will sometimes have laryngeal spasming. These dogs usually require emergency care when this happens and are often given a sedative to allow them to calm down and breathe.

For moderate to severe cases, surgical tie back is recommended and gives the dogs a much better quality of life. I have had the surgery done on 2 of my goldens, both at age 12. They both continued to hunt with me and were able to go for hikes and go swimming. One lived to be over 16 yrs of age. If your vet is not comfortable doing the surgery, I would suggest you seek out a board certified surgeon. The surgery gave my dogs a great quality of life and extended their lives.

Dawn

·
Registered
500 Posts
Ria is 10 1/2 and pants even when it cool in the house.

·
Registered
721 Posts
My older lab started to pant heavily at about age 11, diagnosed with laryngeal paralysis. We elected NOT to do the procedure because of the surgical risk associated with her age. Just kept the ac going and focused on keeping her comfortable. Ultimately she died about a year later from bloat. Her brother got LP about two years after she did and was reasonably comfortable for about a year more. Good luck and enjoy your dog!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Your jokin right?
Not at all, shes a big framed chocolate ,with a coat like a grizzly and a tail like an otter.I didn't know this was an actual term/ medical condition .once or twice a week she sounds like shes trying to spit up a goat.shes 9 and I've had her about 3 years after she would continuously come over from a neighbors house from about 3 miles away I told him to send the papers next time she came over and about a week later I got her AKC papers in the mail.nearest I can tell from vet records shes had close to 80 puppies in her life. Now shes just a good ole dog that's deaf and likes to spend her time as a working retriever being a pillow for my 8 year old son.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts