RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

How do you most often dress the birds you bring in?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
12,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you most often dress the game birds you bring in?
Do you Breast and discard the carcass?
Do you pluck?
Do you breast and keep the carcass for training?
it depends on how shot up it is
t depends on what species it is

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
rjouben said:
oh, this poll was about birds ....
Dang sure had me fooled also!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Breast the pheasants, go to a little more effort on ducks.

Jerry (wishin Chris would let me say what I really wanted to say :twisted: :twisted: )

·
Registered
277 Posts
Guys I can tell you a little more work and you can be in for a delicious treat!! Breasting the game for most birds other then doves is just being lazy! This thread should be on the proper way to cook cuts of meat!
________
extreme q vaporizer

·
Registered
255 Posts
I never just grab the breasts and never just pluck it either. I'll have to look up the name for it in the manual. Whatever it;'s called; it's fun and satisfying.

Dan Rice

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Patrick Johndrow said:
You also need to check your local regulations concerning Wanton Waste.
That's some good advice right thar!

Normally I'm a breast man, but with ducks I pluck.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Is this thread trying to make a left turn?

Quality breasts should not be grabbed. Carressed gently is the procedure. :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
AND, anyone that tells ya "more than a handful is a waste" is a frickin liar.....

i mean, you may have company coming over and need the extra duck.........breast :wink:

gator

·
Registered
220 Posts
Bob Smith said:
Guys I can tell you a little more work and you can be in for a delicious treat!! Breasting the game for most birds other then doves is just being lazy! This thread should be on the proper way to cook cuts of meat!
Bob,
Please post up your methods. I find the breast meat yucky enough (thank goodness for stews and fajitas!), can't bring myself to keep the rest to eat (we tape 'em up and use them for training until they fall apart). I'm a lousy cook :oops: , so I need really simple recipes! :lol:
Tina

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
Tina,

I always soak the meat in salt water in the fridge for 2 days. YOu can also soak it in orange juice/lemon juice/apple juice. Anything acidic is going to tenderize it and draw out most of the blood (which gives it the gamy taste).

Then I slice them and flour them (season the flour to taste but I put garlic powder, season salt and pepper in it) then sautee the slices in garlic butter.

Very tasty and tender.

WRL

·
Registered
97 Posts
I like breasts AND legs. ;)

I keep one freezer bag of legs and scrap meat (shot up breasts, mainly). Once the bag is big enough I add pepperchinis to the legs in a crock pot with italian seasoning and garlic. Tastes just like italian beef.

Todd

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Pluck the ducks, then when you have a dozen or more, have them smoked. Try it, you most likely will be pleasantly surprised. I also had a bunch of pheasants (skinned) done last year and they are really good also. This is a good way to take freezer bird and put them to use before they burn and are wasted. I like to make up a basket and give it to land owners that allow me to train on their property. Add some sausage and cheese with a couple of smoked birds and it's a nice way to say thanks. HPW

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Pluck the ducks, then when you have a dozen or more, have them smoked. Try it, you most likely will be pleasantly surprised. I also had a bunch of pheasants (skinned) done last year and they are really good also. This is a good way to take freezer bird and put them to use before they burn and are wasted. I like to make up a basket and give it to land owners that allow me to train on their property. Add some sausage and cheese with a couple of smoked birds and it's a nice way to say thanks. HPW

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Ozpa said:
I like breasts AND legs. ;)
Similar here.

We keep the breasts, legs, and thighs.

I didn't see that option in the poll. :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
best duck recipe I have is for orange marmalade duck. pluck it, stuff it with sage, glaze the outside with orange marmalade and roast to desired doneness. sometimes you need to cover the breast with foil towards the end to keep it from drying out. really good. my wife even eats it!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts