RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How about "mouth to nose" resussitation?

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Very cute!!

I have taken a course in canine CPR - good to know what to do, but hope to never have to use it.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Very cute!!

I have taken a course in canine CPR - good to know what to do, but hope to never have to use it.
Had to use the skill once to no avail :( but I could use a refresher course.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
that is too cool!!!!
but how about the real thing anyone?
Seen a fireman do it on the TV news one time.
They had a tank and mask.

Did it on the Dan Ryan expressway in Chicago, but never to a K-9

·
Registered
9,442 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
I took a community ed course on it several years ago...even had the dog CPR mannequin to practice on. I hope I never have to use it.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I HAVE used it. My then 15-yr old Labrador had LP. She got into a coughing fit and coughed so hard that it triggered her vegus nerve. She dropped dead--no heartbeat, no breathing, gums white.

I screamed for my husband and started closed-mouth CPR with chest compressions. My husband kept saying, "she's gone," but I insisted that we load her in the car and head to the emergency clinic.

I kept working on her in the back seat--half way (15+ minutes later) to the clinic, she coughed and "woke up." By the time we got to the clinic, she was wagging her tail, but she was too wobbly to walk. They had a hard time believing my story because her blood work was normal (except for some elevated liver enzymes due to not breathing!!) and everything else appeared normal.

They kept her overnight. When I went back the next morning to pick her up, her discharge papers said, "Scarlett is lucky to have a mom who knew how to save her life."

We lost her last October--almost two years later--4 months shy of 17 after a stroke.

Meredith

·
Registered
144 Posts
On the Ambulance i work on we have several K9 Non-rebreathers that hook up to direct Oxygen. Here is a great video that they had us watch i found it on youtube.

http://youtu.be/0AFrUiRIeVo

·
Registered
261 Posts
It saved my dogs life. He almost drowned at a hunt test. The photographer taking pictures had just learned mouth to snout. Willy was blue around the mouth and tonge by the time we reached him. The photographer did the mouth to snout while a friend and I did the chest compressions. It seemed like we worked a long time before we got a response. Thanks to quick thinking, some knowledgeable people and a couple of club members who were volunteer firefighter we were able to get him to a vet. The X-ray showed just how much water wae still in his lungs.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
It saved my dogs life. He almost drowned at a hunt test. The photographer taking pictures had just learned mouth to snout. Willy was blue around the mouth and tonge by the time we reached him. The photographer did the mouth to snout while a friend and I did the chest compressions. It seemed like we worked a long time before we got a response. Thanks to quick thinking, some knowledgeable people and a couple of club members who were volunteer firefighter we were able to get him to a vet. The X-ray showed just how much water wae still in his lungs.
Oh, whoa!!! I've worked in hospitals forever, and in my experience, you sort of get a feeling. You're ready for it. There's back-up.

I was on the ragged-edge of needing to resuscitate my 10 month old daughter once... She had a vagal response and her heart just slowed down to nothing. No pulse. No respirations... White as a sheet. Time...just...stopped. She was limp in my arms. I was about to start, when she had a clonic reflex and began breathing again.

I think seeing my dog stop breathing would give me that same panic "oh, please God" feeling. Consequences very different, but that feeling I think would be the same.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My wife and I have used this a number of times over the years with various litters. Usually had to use when trying to asperate and revive puppies that were delivered in duress. So far if it was breathing, we've saved it. The first one we had to use puppy CPR wasn't breathing at all but would twitch...we worked on her for about 20 minutes before she gave us that beloved squeel!!! Turned out she was the pick of the litter and is still with us today.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts