RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the average training log page looks like. I would like to make some up or down load one, so I could use it daily. What are some of the more important things you want to make sure you keep track of?

thanx.

G

·
I don't. I tried hard for some time to keep a log, but it just takes time to write it down and with work and training, I don't have much time for writing left.

I was going to do some research and see if there are any digital voice recorders that will work with some software that would take the recording and put it in a text format for me. I think if it's automated like that, I will do it. Gotta go do some research now.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I think that it's a great idea if your a pro or a full time AM who runs alot of dog's but for me personally I don't have enough dog's to froget my dog's current progress and weaknesses.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I wish I kept one. :(

I think you can get good info from one if it's reviewed every month or so. I've kept one a few times but a month or so later I'm not entering info again. I've got to find something simple and fast.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I use a notebook, but nothing more formal than that. I'm the type of person with a bit of OCD in him. In any event I find it helpful to be able to review some things - gives me more color than I can remember.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Misty Marsh Labradors said:
I think that it's a great idea if your a pro or a full time AM who runs alot of dog's but for me personally I don't have enough dog's to froget my dog's current progress and weaknesses.
Same with me. I started a spreadsheet, and kept up with it for a few months. I would note where we trained, what drills we set-up and how each dog fared. Of course if one of them bombed, I'd highlight that weakness and focus on it for awhile. Usually I was going back and entering previous days training whenever I had a few spare minutes. Finally I was getting to where my entries weren't frequent enough, and my memory got too fuzzy thinking a week back.

It is fun now though to go back a year and see where we were then in our training vs today.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I keep a daily training log on clients dogs. It is nothing formal just a short typed paragraph of the daily training session. I note down what the training session consisted of and things the particular dog did well with and struggled with.

Take Care,

Travis R. Bullock

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
One of the reasons I started my Website was to keep a journal. I can always find 10-15 minutes later in the day to write down what each dog did, and jot out a tentative plan for the next day (or two). Entries describe where we trained and what the set-ups were, weather (if unusual) and provide notes on each dog's performance. What they do one day will determind how much of an adjustment to make on the next. Now that it has become and entrenched habit.......keeping a journal is easy. Of course being retired makes a little difference. :wink:

I frequently take pictures of the set-ups which become a visual reference (more time....but fun). This has proven to be a valuable piece of data when starting out a new dog.

I have not found the details slipping away by waiting until later to make journal entries. In fact, the wait allows for some interesting reflection on what acutally happened. This might not work very well with a large number of dogs. Right now I have two in taining as Taffey is taking a 60 day "vacation". 8)

This type of journal, which is phrase narrative, does not have to be kept on a website. The same thing (pictures and all) can be accomplished in a Word document.

Have to go.....we trained this morning, and it is time to make the entries. Oops, I forgot last night's short session. :lol:

Training Journal (Link)

·
Registered
844 Posts
You only need a 2x4, not a a log, with Chessies. :wink:

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I tried keeping a log once. Being a detailed person, I had to draw pictures of the set ups, and describle how the dog did on each bird. Then a note or two about a drill to help improve things I had seen.
It got to be to time consuming to keep up.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I keep a notebook - write down a list of what needs to be worked on over the next few months and then what I do - it is amazing how often I find things neglected - for instance a while a go discovered out of about 50 training sessions had only done about 15 with marks - so much for ballance!

i

·
Registered
987 Posts
I kept a training log in the past -- more of a notebook of training setups used -- how the dog did in each setup -- I would include diagrams -- so I plan to do the same once I get Maxx back from pro's -- more for my benefit as it makes think about MY TRAINING

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I keep one, well at least I try to. I usually diagram what set up we ran if it's not a set drill. I have a little code to note good things and bad so I can review at a glance and see what problems keep popping up. I used to make the same notes on each test we ran but I've gotten away from that somewhat.

I think it helps with the dog's training and it helps me stay consistent because I've got that log staring at me to keep me going when I don't feel like driving 70 miles to train one dog !!

I just use loose notebook paper. No computer, we spend too much time at these things as it is !!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I keep one (it's my third) and I draw pictures and stuff in it. Like a judges page. And then I try to remember what my problems were and how I might fix them. It also helps me see how far I have come in a year and what I have been working on. I saw tonight that a year ago I was being told that I handle too fast, well I am still getting told that - just not as often!

That is all I know about that! 8)

·
Registered
226 Posts
I keep a log. This is my second BLM that I am training and there are times where I know I am reinventing the wheel on how to do something and if it worked or not with my first dog. I use this logbook from Dogs Afield: http://www.dogsafield.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R314-00 . It has pages where you can diagram your setups for training and I also use those to capture the setups we use at our local retriever club for hunt test training. Now I don't necessarily log events everytime, but anytime something positive or negative happens I log it in. I even log in when my pup started teething and I quit retrieves. I also log in how he did in the "puppy stakes" that we run at the retriever club. These are just JH tests but the distance is reduced and we are allowed to be a lot more controlling at the line. I am hoping that if I identify trends here, I will be able to look back and recognize the trends again when he starts testing for real. Good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts