RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Do you trainr dog, host or attend any hunt tests or field trials on a California wildlife area? If so, please let me know which one(s).

DFG says there are only 14 areas where we take our dogs, and are trying to limit use to those 14. I know this is not true, but I need the names of those areas that are not already listed in the code. Eel River is one, what are the others?

PM me, or list them here.

Thanks!

Florence

·
Registered
881 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
In Iowa, state lands are off limits to dog training from March 15 through July 15 so the dogs do not disturb ground nesting birds.

Meredith

·
Registered
568 Posts
We use Los Banos, Salt Slough and Mendota. What are the 14 listed? Or a link to the the list please.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't know about CA but MI DNR director tells me that some state areas are out of bounds because of limitations placed on Pittman-Robertson monies.

You probably know that Pittman-Robertson is an act to move the existing 11% excise tax on firearms and ammunition from treasurey to Interior to support wildlife management.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittman-Robertson_Federal_Aid_in_Wildlife_Restoration_Act
We are very familiar with Pittman Robertson and how the Michigan DNR and hunting dog owners rolled over without a fight after a government audit of PR funds. After a couple of states capitulated, a dedicated group of hunting dog owners from across the U.S. worked to fight U.S Fish & Wildlife's attempt to preempt the rights of individual states to regulate state owned lands. Florence wrote the congressional testimony and worked with our local congressman, a ranking member of the appropriations committee, to stop further insistence by USF&WS on the ban of trials.

That is why we can still have trials on PR funded lands in California.

Russ

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Gray Lodge, Bend River ( i think its called that- near Red Bluff,CA by the Sacrament River/Jellys Ferry) Sacramento would be desired but its not one that we can train on. Also would like to train on Delevan .

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The proposed regulations are at: http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/2011/index.aspx#550

The new language, which is in Section 551, near the top of page 38, reads: “Wildlife Areas Authorized For Dog Training and Dog Trials. Unless included and specified below, these uses are prohibited on wildlife areas. Hunting dog trials require a special use permit.” There are only 14 areas listed, and they are included below.

Current regulations only prohibit training and trials at 2 areas, Battle Creek and Cottonweed Creek. Otherwise training is restricted by the Regional or area manager to designated areas, which are supposed to be flexible to avoid impacts on sensitive species or habitat, and trials are by permit. Unfortunately, the new regs in Section 550 define training as limited to designated areas only, and limit trials as to designated training areas, without recognizing that currently designated training areas are not required to be defined in code. And the new 551 language prohibits these activities everywhere but their short list.

If you do not see your usual training or trialing area listed here, let me - and the Commission - know.

(1) Gray Lodge Wildlife Area.
(2) Grizzly Island Wildlife Area.
(3) Hollenbeck Canyon Wildlife Area
(4) Imperial Wildlife Area
(5) Little Panoche Reservoir Wildlife Area
(6) Los Banos Wildlife Area
(7) Mendota Wildlife Area
(8) North Grasslands Wildlife Area
(9) O’Neill Forebay Wildlife Area
(10) Oroville Wildlife Area
(11) San Felipe Valley Wildlife Area
(12) San Jacinto Wildlife Area
(13) Spenceville Wildlife Area
(14) Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area

You can find the complete list of 100+ California state wildlife areas at: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/lands/wa/index.html

Florence

1 - 7 of 7 Posts