RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all... 2 y/o lab got into trash and ate a fair amount of aluminum foil. Enough to cover an oven broiler pan.

Is this fatal? How serious - enough to warrant a trip to the emergency vet?

Any and all suggestions appreciated!

·
0 Posts
I would also call and ask your vet when mine ate a shaving razor blade and all they had me give metamucil when my daughters dog ate Xmas tree lights they had her give cotton balls soaked in milk ask your vet you should do

·
Registered
966 Posts
Title says it all... 2 y/o lab got into trash and ate a fair amount of aluminum foil. Enough to cover an oven broiler pan.

Is this fatal? How serious - enough to warrant a trip to the emergency vet?

Any and all suggestions appreciated!
How long ago? If not to long give the dog 2 to 3 tablespoons of Hydrogen Peroxide.. that will make him throw up....

·
Registered
112 Posts
My wife's dog ate a bag of candy kisses. Wasn't too big a deal. We called the vet and he said their shouldn't be a problem. It sure made cleaning the piles after her a lot easier. Every one was marked by aluminum foil.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My last lab ate an aluminun plate from a "Take Out" restaurant. He became very ill. Had had loose bowels for a week. My vet had him on medication which helped. Can't remember what it was. His stoll was bloody and he spent the entire week in the garage. First and only time he was ever outside. It was December but fortunately for him it was a very, very mild week. My current boy tore up an aluminum can and started acting the same as my first guy. It was a Sunday night so I had to take him to an emergency vet. center ($$$). He had no ill effects. I would see a vet to be safe.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I poured approx 1/2 cup of hydrogen peroxide down my dogs throat recently because she ate a whole bottle of vitamins. Just the vitamins, not much of the bottle. No prob w/ vitamins and all other stomach contents coming back up.

I'd call a vet and see which way it's best fot the foil to come out.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don't believe having the dog throw up is a good idea... it is solid material, don't forget...

Yes, call your vet. as said, he may indicate to give something to the dog to make the thing go smoothly thru the intestines. Probably some laxative paste.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Normally tin foil will pass (I've worked at ER vet hospitals for over 10 yrs now). You will most likely get some GI upset (read nasty diarrhea). If your dog starts vomiting, stops eating or his abdomen appears bloated, he should be seen immediately. Otherwise, you will probably find bits and pieces of shiny silver in the yard for about a week. Most young dogs will bounce back from diarrhea, but he may need some flagyl and SQ fluids if it goes on for more than a few days.

Note to peroxide users. Just 2-3 tablespoons of the stuff. Be very careful using more as your can actually poison your dog with too much. Also, not everything should come back up. Always check before you induce vomiting.

Dawn

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE...

Called vet, and was advised not to induce vomiting. "Better to come out the back door, rather than up through the front." The vet advised watchful waiting - throwing up, difficult bowel movement and/or bloody stool.

So far so good. Thank you to all who responded.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
UPDATE...

Called vet, and was advised not to induce vomiting. "Better to come out the back door, rather than up through the front." The vet advised watchful waiting - throwing up, difficult bowel movement and/or bloody stool.

Dried out, they make nice christmas ornaments.

·
Registered
304 Posts
UPDATE...

Good luck to your dog. And to you. I hate it when mine get sick.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
Not to diminish any of the advice you have recieved so far, but just consider one thing. You dont know many of these people, and prolly alot of em are just as screwed up as Gooser is,, so why on Gods green earth are you askin on the net instead of just callin the vet??

I's in my green shorty shorts as I post this!!:p

Eatin a pop tart, drinkin a diet coke!!

Goofball regards:

Gooser

·
Registered
276 Posts
How long ago? If not to long give the dog 2 to 3 tablespoons of Hydrogen Peroxide.. that will make him throw up....
Be careful with this. I tried it and it didn't work my dog drank it up like it was a freaking milk shake and then didn't puke. Then I had to worry about the peroxide being toxic.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
When one of mine ate an aluminum pie plate, they had me give her a mineral oil sandwich, soak some bread in mineral oil or olive oil, dogs love it and it tends to coat whatever they ate and allows it to pass without harm.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
I'd keep him away from the microwave for a while and prolly not let him under the power lines until you see some shiney poop.

Tinfoil hat regards

Bubba

·
Registered
687 Posts
Not to diminish any of the advice you have recieved so far, but just consider one thing. You dont know many of these people, and prolly alot of em are just as screwed up as Gooser is,, so why on Gods green earth are you askin on the net instead of just callin the vet??

I's in my green shorty shorts as I post this!!:p

Eatin a pop tart, drinkin a diet coke!!

Goofball regards:

Gooser
BINGO!!!!!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Sorry, but this is what my vet advised....oil sandwich... Let it pass with some lubrication and bufferring....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts