RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chocolate male the that is a year old and he is very gun shy I dont know what to do. I want him to hunt with me but he is so scared of guns even if he sees me have it in my hand he will run and hide. I have tried taking a .22 that's not that loud but he runs and hide what should I do.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
It takes 2 people. We generally start with a starter pistol about a hundred yards out. If your dog otherwise loves to retrieve get him cranked about some fun bumpers. When you have him cranked have a friend fire the starter pistol(100 yards). Your dog will stop and look but may be more exited about the retrieve. Read the dog. Right in the middle of fun pop in the distance. You may only be able to fire one at first. Once he is ok with gun far off have your friend start throwing the bumpers and shooting. Once the dog is ok with that just start moving up little by little. Then do it all over with the shot gun. You can buy blank loads, better for this than live ones.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
The first thing is to try and find the reason he's gunshy. Then avoid that circumstance...they are never, ever born gunshy...it is always man-made.

Birds, birds, and more birds....live ones that can run and fly. Let him chase to his heart's content. Then, when he's really excited about chasing birds, let him chase and fire a blank pistol behind your back and pointing away. The goal is to form a positive association between the excitement of birds and gunfire. Always watch closely for any sign of reaction to the gun, too....if you see the dog stop and look back at the gun or react in any negative way, put the gun away and keep on with birds....then start again with the gun at a greater distance, gradually moving closer as the dog accepts the sound.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
First things first...Take that 22 you have and just leave it on the floor in your house and walk away. Be sure dog sees it. If you have young kids around then gate off the area. Leave it there for some time and then go and pick it up in the kneel position at dog's level with dog around. Repeat....

·
Registered
834 Posts
First things first...Take that 22 you have and just leave it on the floor in your house and walk away. Be sure dog sees it. If you have young kids around then gate off the area. Leave it there for some time and then go and pick it up in the kneel position at dog's level with dog around. Repeat....

?????????????? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

I know I should leave this one alone............. So I will...

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
?????????????? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

I know I should leave this one alone............. So I will...
Think about it. The dog is scare to even be around guns....period. Before attempting anything....dog needs to understand that gun is not a bad thing. If fido understands that nothing will happen if he or she goes up and sniff....Then on to the next step. Get the dog over the sight of a gun and then continue on. Think like a dog, not as a human.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I've had luck with something along those lines,but it was outside.I would take an UNLOADED gun lay it in the yard about 20 ft. out and just throw yard marks past it to where the dog had to run over it for the bumper/duck,each day I'd move it closer until we lined up right on top of it ,next I'd pick it up when dog was on the way back ,work your way up to being able to hold the gun when you throw the marks, eventually I could shoot the gun when I seen he was just guna grab the bumper in the field,I worked my way slowly into shooting from the line.There is a difference from gun shy to shot shy .This worked for me when I had no one to help and had no idea that they sold books about traning retrievers!:D

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I've had luck with something along those lines,but it was outside.I would take an UNLOADED gun lay it in the yard about 20 ft. out and just throw yard marks past it to where the dog had to run over it for the bumper/duck,each day I'd move it closer until we lined up right on top of it ,next I'd pick it up when dog was on the way back ,work your way up to being able to hold the gun when you throw the marks, eventually I could shoot the gun when I seen he was just guna grab the bumper in the field,I worked my way slowly into shooting from the line.There is a difference from gun shy to shot shy .This worked for me when I had no one to help and had no idea that they sold books about traning retrievers!:D
Kudos man!!! Good deal and I mean that. Dogs will trust us if we show them the way....
Good job.:D

Benny

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hot dogs & the skeet range..........
OB in the parking lot & just keep them hot dog bits going, till you're standing by the gunners.

·
Registered
506 Posts
From what you describe, this dog has a serious problem. It's doubtful you will ever accomplish your goal of curing this dog's gunshy problem. There are level of gunshyness. my gauge is; if your dog runs over the hill when you fire a shotgun, don't waste your time---get another dog!
It's more productive to put your precious training time in on a dog that wants to hunt. if you decide to continue with this problem, seek out an ecperienced professional to help
good luck
GG

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
I agree also that gun shyness is manmade. Sometimes it is because of no preparation as in going hunting the first time on opening weekend with multiple guns firing. If the OP didn't do it, maybe it was done before she got the puppy. I often wonder if the person that bred the dogs did the old shoot over the bowl when they are eating. The dog should learn that the shot means a retrieve is coming so they must learn to like the birds and retrieving. First and slowly, very slowly taking months, start with the retrieving only, and then start with a cap gun at a distance and an exciting retrieve. That's why I don't believe in the trap shooting range, especially for a dog this scared. All it is to the dog is a scary noise. I agree with GG, it is a big problem and if you want to hunt you are better off getting a new dog and either leave this one home as a companion or find it a home.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
OB in the parking lot & just keep them hot dog bits going, till you're standing by the gunners.
Absolutely NOT a good idea!

What possible advantage do you find in taking a young dog; especially one that is already gun shy, around a skeet range where you have absolutely NO control over the timing or frequency of the shots??? Think about it.

Introduce the gunshots somewhere in a controlled environment for obvious reasons.

And, as others have cautioned, be prepared for a long, long haul. As you describe your situation, there's a good possibility you may never get the job done. Good luck.

JS

·
Registered
234 Posts
To the original poster, try live birds.

Get pup crazy over live birds one day, and then again the next day, and the next, etc.... Give pup a day or more to think it over. Then, on another day with more live birds, slowly introduce gun fire at a far distance, slowly move in (over multiple days). You want pup as crazy happy pre-occuided as much as possible. thus the live birds, throw some pigeons while introducing gun fire !

I too am NOT a fan of the gun range approach to introduce gun fire. Taking pup to a strange place with gun fire doesn't make pup crazy happy. Not a positive experience for pup.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You know I'm kinda gun shy too that might be what I need to cure myself some hot dawgs and some shooting 😃

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Bring him over one day and let me look at what he's doing then I could give my opinion. I'm only about 30 to 40 min from you.
You have my number just text me. I'll be home most of the weekend I think. Be out training early in the mornings.

Dave

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Listen to both Sharon and Nancy.
Gun Shyness IS man-made.
A dog doesn't have a clue that this loud noise(Gun) is productive or has any kind of merit in his life unless you show him.
I use tons of birds (live ones pigeons-cheapest) I too get the dog crazy about this fun crazy pigeon. Have him chase it. Then use it on marks NO GUN FIRE.
Then introduce the gun (starter pistol) long mark. And praise the crap out of him when he retrieves the bird.
THEN and only then will the dog put loud noise together with bird and fun.
Please leave your puppies and young dogs home when going to the trap range PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sue

·
Registered
576 Posts
From what you describe, this dog has a serious problem. It's doubtful you will ever accomplish your goal of curing this dog's gunshy problem. There are level of gunshyness. my gauge is; if your dog runs over the hill when you fire a shotgun, don't waste your time---get another dog!
It's more productive to put your precious training time in on a dog that wants to hunt. if you decide to continue with this problem, seek out an ecperienced professional to help
good luck
GG
I knew a old **** hunter that took the worst gun shy dogs and got them over gun shyness accept the gun

He would take the dog out in the middle of the lake in a boat and fire the gun, dog would jump into the water and start swimming. The old man would let them swim for awhile and then load them up and pet them, fire the gun again, after about the third time of doing this the dog would be wore out from swimming and decided he didn't want to swim anymore and would rather watch the old man shoot the gun and get dog treats

1 - 20 of 22 Posts