RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This has been going on for about 6 weeks. 6 yr old BLF is doing circles trying to bite at her back legs i.e. top of her front thighs or quads.

A little history before I get to what vet saw on her xray this morning: (you can skip it and just go to last paragraph)

In November, I noticed my dog scooting around on her butt. I thought she was just scratching and no big deal. I caught on in about 2 weeks when I found a little piece of tape worm that was wriggling around on carpet after her butt scooting. 2 doses of pills cleared that up but she was still scooting. Back to the vet where they checked her anal glands and expressed them as they were both full. I started giving her a little broccoli, carrots, and pumpkin in her food for bulk and to firm up. Then I had her surgically inseminated 12/27. Vets said no probs from tape worms or glands and that she looked great...etc. proceed with surgical. About 1/20 I was positive she was pregnant, but it was false confirmed by ultrasound at day 30, she was just going through a false pregnancy. Now comes the turning around going in circles trying to bite the top of her thighs. Vet says its just a false pregnancy and not to worry as her energy was high, appetite good, coat, eyes, gums... and no other symptoms. I did not stop worrying because even though she didn't give any indication that she was uncomfortable, I felt uncomfortable watching her do circles. Back to the vet, they checked her butt out again, no probs, no yeast infection, no uti, no skin irritations...they couldn't find anything. Vets suspected allergies because she would rub her sides on the couch like a cat. No new plants in the yard or house, no new furniture, same food...Vets thought maybe weather related allergic reaction because no winter and mold spores have been high, give her some claritin and see if symptoms clear up. They did not. She's still doing circles biting at tops of thighs.

This morning I took her to the repro vet who performed surgical back 12/27 to see if he could come up with another cause and he noticed some tenderness on her back around her spine right above the back of her rib cage. He poked and prodded on her for several minutes and then took her back for an xray. Xray shows inflammation and slight calcification between vertebrae where she indicated tenderness. He thinks the inflammation could be pressing on nerves and that is what she is reacting to by biting tops of thighs.

When she's running/retrieving she never turns to bite and hasn't shown the slightest interest in anything but retrieving. When I'm worn out, she's still looking up at me asking for another one.

She's now getting 100 mg Tramadol and 50 mg Remadyl 2x's/day.

After all of that, has anyone ever had a dog, or heard of one, that bit at it's back legs? Has anyone ever heard of this being caused by a spinal injury? I'm still worried about her, but the Tramadol seems to be taking effect.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there, I noticed your post here while doing a google search for symptoms that my yorkie-bichon is currently experiencing. She has been biting at her back thighs as if she is itching or something. This wouldnt be a concern if it wasnt so frequent. My dog has not been herself for the past few weeks. She is very restless, up at night and desperate for attention from my wife and I. We are awoken at night by her scratching at the side of the bed. One of us gets up and takes her out. Some nights she just chews grass. Other nights she will urinate. Some nights she just wants to go out and walk around. When we bring her back inside, she just never gets settled. The biting at the hind quarters was something I never really thought much about but it has been constant. I had to cut matted hair off of her legs, so it is definitely happening frequently.

I too took her to the vet and they did xrays. $400 worth of xrays. Eh-hem...anyway. So they originally said they didnt see anything. Then the next day, after the vet consulted with the radiologist, this diagnosis changed. The radiologist saw a slight narrowing between her L1 and L2 vertabrae which could be a mild herniated disk. Clearly, this is not a strong diagnosis when they say it "might be" and "mild". She is being treated with Tramadol and lots of rest (as much as possible with her 2 year old sister).

So I wonder, was your dog's diagnosis? How did she recover?

Thanks. Shawn

1 - 2 of 2 Posts