RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is going to be an odd question, but I am hoping there are some electrical guru's out there whom could help me out.

Ive got a diamond deluxe 2 hole with top storage. The previous owner put a nice little set up into it with 2 bilge pumps to act as fans/air circulation systems. It works great except for the fact that i do not want it to be connected to the truck's electrical system due to the fact that I have enough things on there drawing power on that battery that I dont want to put any more stress on it. Plus, being in Texas, it gets hot. And i want to be able to run the fans, alot. And not have to worry about draining the battery when i am dove hunting, or running a test, when one dog is out and one dog is in the kennel.

I have tried to run a 12V deer feeder battery with a solar panel attached to the top, but either the battery cant hold up (dies after about 20 mins) or the solar panel cant keep up, or both. After about a month or two of use, the batteries no longer take/hold a charge.

My question is, how can I "beef up" this set up to get the performance out of it that I want? I would need a battery that is either under 6" tall, and/or could be laid on its side.

PS. I also have a light in the storage and in each kennel that operate on switches.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
us a marine 12 volt battery and hook it up through the trailers wiring harness this way anytime you run your truck the battery will get a charge - marine batteries are built to take a beating because many people use them for starting and for trolling motor use while the engine is off - good luck - and heat is not problem for batteries it is the cold that sucks them down so it will be fine there as well

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only trailer wiring I have is the 4-way flat. Wouldn't I have to Wire it directly inline with the main battery in order for it to get a charge?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
you shouldn't have to, connect the ground of the battery to the trailer itself then run - I do believe the brown wire to the positve battery terminal then back to the rest of the trailer - use a multi meter to find the hot wire - but if you run it inline then the battery will get a charge anytime you are towing the trailer- it will act like a capacitor for your trailer lights as well

do in reverse order - you don't want to get shocked always unhook the ground cable when wiring and hook that up last - sorry

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you shouldn't have to, connect the ground of the battery to the trailer itself then run - I do believe the brown wire to the positve battery terminal then back to the rest of the trailer - use a multi meter to find the hot wire - but if you run it inline then the battery will get a charge anytime you are towing the trailer- it will act like a capacitor for your trailer lights as well

do in reverse order - you don't want to get shocked always unhook the ground cable when wiring and hook that up last - sorry
It isnt a trailer. Its a Box inside the bed of the truck.

·
Registered
369 Posts
If it were mine I would use deep cycle marine batter that has a battery tender/charger on it. Wire an inverter into your truck's switch power and plug the tender into that. While your truck is running it charges when your truck is off the box runs off of the battery alone. Just my 10 cent idea....

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Oh I am sorry I was confused I must have read your post too quickly

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it were mine I would use deep cycle marine batter that has a battery tender/charger on it. Wire an inverter into your truck's switch power and plug the tender into that. While your truck is running it charges when your truck is off the box runs off of the battery alone. Just my 10 cent idea....
Do you mean like a battery Maintainer? Do you have a web site where I could go to look at it and how it is wired in? (I am more of a visual learner)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Something like this for the tender it has a 110v plug that will plug into the inverter.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...2hOT5m4FNGatwe8uailCA&sqi=2&ved=0CLQBEPMCMAQ#

I have this inverter in my truck for various things it works well and can actually be picked up at just about any truck stop.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...X&ei=FGlOT6voNseUtweeztClCA&ved=0CLEBEPMCMAU#

The trick is to wire it into switch power you will need a test light and access to the fuse panell in your truck and a buddy to cut the power on and off in your truck untill you can find the right wire. On my truck the power wire going to my trailer wiring harnes is on switch power but I would be sure to find something that has a large fuse something gratter that 15 amps I would say. I would be happy to help you wire it up but it would be a heck of a drive from Concord NC. Good luck.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Something like this for the tender it has a 110v plug that will plug into the inverter.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...2hOT5m4FNGatwe8uailCA&sqi=2&ved=0CLQBEPMCMAQ#

I have this inverter in my truck for various things it works well and can actually be picked up at just about any truck stop.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...X&ei=FGlOT6voNseUtweeztClCA&ved=0CLEBEPMCMAU#

The trick is to wire it into switch power you will need a test light and access to the fuse panell in your truck and a buddy to cut the power on and off in your truck untill you can find the right wire. On my truck the power wire going to my trailer wiring harnes is on switch power but I would be sure to find something that has a large fuse something gratter that 15 amps I would say. I would be happy to help you wire it up but it would be a heck of a drive from Concord NC. Good luck.
Well, I am not too concerned with the Inverter because everything I have on there runs on the 12V power. But it would be nice to have.

As far as the Battery Tender, I like that Set Up for keeping the battery charged, but can I have some sort of a set up to where I can have the alternator charge both batteries at a time, but yet when the truck is off, have the battery in the dog box be isolated from the truck's power? Also, can marine batteries be mounted on their side? (i.e. lying down so I can close the lid of the storage)

And also, how much would a charge hold up for?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
What you need is to wire a deep cycle battery to a battery isolator. The power will come from your wiring harness on your truck. All trailer wiring kits have a power feed for charging a RV battery while going down the road. You may have to do some digging into your wiring harness near the back where it comes into your 4 way flat wiring but it probably comes from a 7 wire harness on the vehicle. The isolator prevents anything from your truck drawing on your dog box batter. I would look into using an Optima battery. They are rugged built and made to withstand many cycles and can even be left discharged without damage for periods of time. And they are physically smaller than the average deep cycle that get used in boats. Any trailer hitch install place can help you with the wiring too.
How long your charge will "hold up" depends on your battery's capacity (amp hours) and how many amps your bilge blowers are pulling. For example, a 100 amp hour batter will run a one amp device for 100 hours. That's the rough explanation, there obviously is some margin of error in there too.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What you need is to wire a deep cycle battery to a battery isolator. The power will come from your wiring harness on your truck. All trailer wiring kits have a power feed for charging a RV battery while going down the road. You may have to do some digging into your wiring harness near the back where it comes into your 4 way flat wiring but it probably comes from a 7 wire harness on the vehicle. The isolator prevents anything from your truck drawing on your dog box batter. I would look into using an Optima battery. They are rugged built and made to withstand many cycles and can even be left discharged without damage for periods of time. And they are physically smaller than the average deep cycle that get used in boats. Any trailer hitch install place can help you with the wiring too.
Thats what I was thinking. I have been talking to a couple of the engineers that I work with and they suggested getting a high output alternator, and a battery isolator, and connecting the box battery up to where the truck/alternator will charge it while it is running, but wont kill the truck's battery when its off.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Probably don't even have to get a new alt. Most newer trucks put out a good bit. Check and see what your blower is pulling first. I bet most of what you have on the truck already doesn't pull that much either.
I pull quite a bit of juice. I have aftermarket fog lights as well as off road lights as well. My ranger isnt a normal ranger LOL. more of a 4-wheeler on steroids....

·
Registered
369 Posts
How long your charge will "hold up" depends on your battery's capacity (amp hours) and how many amps your bilge blowers are pulling. For example, a 100 amp hour batter will run a one amp device for 100 hours. That's the rough explanation, there obviously is some margin of error in there too.
This sounds lots easier than my Idea haha I tend to complicate things.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
But you don't use those lights at the same time as everything else. You just have to manage your load. For example, if you were winching real hard out of a mud hole you might have to kill the giant lights!
Good thing about the isolator is it won't let your dog box leave you stranded by running down your truck batt. Solar panels are a nice thought but they are generally cost prohibitive to get the output you would need. And they wouldn't be practical in size. Not to mention you rely on a perfect sunny day to get the max output. The isolator setup will pretty much promise you a full charge by the time you get to a HT. Plus all those other days of just driving around and not using your box will allow plenty of time to charge up.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
But you don't use those lights at the same time as everything else. You just have to manage your load. For example, if you were winching real hard out of a mud hole you might have to kill the giant lights!
Good thing about the isolator is it won't let your dog box leave you stranded by running down your truck batt. Solar panels are a nice thought but they are generally cost prohibitive to get the output you would need. And they wouldn't be practical in size. Not to mention you rely on a perfect sunny day to get the max output. The isolator setup will pretty much promise you a full charge by the time you get to a HT. Plus all those other days of just driving around and not using your box will allow plenty of time to charge up.
But you gotta be able to see what youre winching!! HAHA
No, I get what you're saying. Talked it over with my dad "my project advisor" and he thinks the isolator and the deep cycle battery would be my best bet. Plus if i do need an inverter in a pinch, all i gotta do is hook it up to the backup battery.

Next question is, are there any other batteries other than the Optima Batteries that can be mounted on their sides since vertical space is limited in the tool box of the dog box.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Not that I'm aware of. Maybe check around on some 4x4 or rock crawler sites. They mount stuff in weird spots on those deals. I run Optima batts. in my airboat and have had no complaints. Little pricey but they last.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just put another battery under the hood and use a battery separator. Separator automatically switches between batteries and keeps each one charged so you always have power. I have a big box with inverter and big fan. Always charging up something and/or have fans on while training, maybe all day. Never had any trouble after installing the second battery and separator. Took about 2 hours to install and I think maybe $250 including additional battery. I think I got the 200amp. Here's where I got mine. http://www.ase-supply.com/Sure_Power_Battery_Separator_s/154.htm

1 - 20 of 21 Posts