RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s your guys thoughts of ruffland kennels or metal dog box mounted to an aluminum utility trailer. Trying to figure out a cheap trailer option, but don’t want to compromise the safety of my dogs.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
If by "cheap trailer" you mean small tires and poor suspension, it would be an abusive and possibly dangerous place for your dogs.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have taken a 3 hole box and attached it to a utlity trailer with multiple 6 inch bolts with iron reinforcements under the trailer. i still have locking tie downs on top, but the box isnt going anywhere. i try not to take it on the interstate, but even if I do, it rides great with my 4 wheeler on it. i have it balanced out so the weight is evenly distributed. Its definitely not as safe as a welded to frame, but I wouldnt have done it if I wasnt confident in the integrity of the box. Mine is a 16ft trailer with 15 inch tires, not the smaller version.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If by "cheap trailer" you mean small tires and poor suspension, it would be an abusive and possibly dangerous place for your dogs.
Thanks for the reply. I didn’t mean cheap on the utility trailer itself. Just meant cheap relative to a custom made dog trailer.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have taken a 3 hole box and attached it to a utlity trailer with multiple 6 inch bolts with iron reinforcements under the trailer. i still have locking tie downs on top, but the box isnt going anywhere. i try not to take it on the interstate, but even if I do, it rides great with my 4 wheeler on it. i have it balanced out so the weight is evenly distributed. Its definitely not as safe as a welded to frame, but I wouldnt have done it if I wasnt confident in the integrity of the box. Mine is a 16ft trailer with 15 inch tires, not the smaller version.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
ride on or get into a box on a trailer and take a spin in your training fields and find out for yourself. Not a comfortable ride for the dogs.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ride on or get into a box on a trailer and take a spin in your training fields and find out for yourself. Not a comfortable ride for the dogs.
I ended up just buying a used Ainley trailer. Supposed to pick it up this week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts