RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog is on bag #3 of purina pro plan performance and I have noticed his coat starting to not look as shiny as before. Could it be the food? Could it e the Texas summer heat and him shedding causing it or could I possibly be using my furminator on him too much?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
This is definitely shedding season. If your dog is in the one to two year old range, or younger, it's possible for dogs to totally blow coat and look terrible while they start to build their adult coats. I've seen it happen on many occasions at my boarding/daycare kennel on several different breeds including labs. Once the coat grows back in in a few months, it will look awesome.

That being said, hard to know if your dog has some allergy to the new food. Or if something else medical is going on since I don't know your dog or it's vet history. So, if you suspect something besides a coat blow, take him or her to the vet.

As far as food, I have goldens who are prone to allergy, so i play it safe using only food and treats that are grain free and high quality.

Jen

·
Registered
821 Posts
I too would venture to guess he's getting ready to blow coat...

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
What breed of dog? Is he intact or neutered?

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Never met a Dobie with that much coat that needed a Furminator very often, lol. If his skin isn't dry/flaky, then likely getting ready to blow coat like others said. If he's got dry skin, add some fish oil supplement.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
My dog is on bag #3 of purina pro plan performance and I have noticed his coat starting to not look as shiny as before. Could it be the food? Could it e the Texas summer heat and him shedding causing it or could I possibly be using my furminator on him too much?
Really, was the "s" not working here either? Not sure if your dog is male or female?

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She has a typical dobie coat. We bought the generic furminator that said for short coats but didn't say you could not use it everyday or every other.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I feed Purina Dog Chow and supplement Retrieve Skin & Coat on my Rotti/lab and her coat is very nice. Duckdon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts