RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 year old black female that has just laid down on me one time the last 3 seasons while pheasant hunting. It first occurred in 2018. While pheasant hunting she just started limping on her left from leg and laid down. It was after about a 30 minute hunt in heavy CRP and was the first hunt of the day. It was the second or 3rd hunt of the year. My son carried her back to the truck and we got her watered and took her home. When we got home she exploded out of the truck and was fine. Last year, I took her on the second or third hunt of the year and the first spot we hit that morning was heavy CRP and after about 30-45 minutes she just stopped and I had to lay her down. She was limping again on the left front leg. I laid down with her for about 45 minutes or so. The she was able to get up and she limped her way back to the truck. We were about a 1/4 mile from the truck and I was by myself. After water and 30 minute rest she was fine. We hunted about another 21 days after that and nothing. It was cold that morning with some snow on the ground. Well this morning it was about 45 degrees and the same thing happened again. We rested her for 30 minutes and she was fine. It has happened one time the last 3 seasons. She is the hardest charging athletic female I have owned. Very energetic at all times. Both parents were EIC clear. Not for sure if that is what it is or if she is just so excited and goes so hard that she just runs her self out. The first 3 seasons we had nothing like this. We thought that she had injured her leg the first time it happened but that was no the case. She always had her heat cycle once a year the Saturday after Thanksgiving like clockwork. However I had her spayed in July so I don't think the heat cycle had anything to do with it. Just curious as to what you all might think or suggest.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
My first thought was EIC; but if both parents were clear, that can’t be it. I hope you can find the cause of this as I’m sure it is worrisome.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My first thought was EIC; but if both parents were clear, that can’t be it. I hope you can find the cause of this as I’m sure it is worrisome.
Yes and the problem is never in the rear legs just a limp on the left front. And never had any issues until the dog turned 4. I have dove hunted her in 90 degree weather and never had an issue. She has been duck hunted a few times with no issues and no issues during her training with the pro.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I would suspect an injury to the front leg—maybe an elbow or shoulder and the pain stops her. Definitely needs a veterinary visit, too bad you couldn’t get her to the veterinarian when she was limping. That would probably help isolate the cause.

Good luck.

Meredith

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would suspect an injury to the front leg—maybe an elbow or shoulder and the pain stops her. Definitely needs a veterinary visit, too bad you couldn’t get her to the veterinarian when she was limping. That would probably help isolate the cause.

Good luck.

Meredith
The limp last about 30 minutes then she can hunt the rest of the day. It is not a situation where she is down for several days. It lasts about 30 minutes or so then it is like nothing has happened.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Well, if she were mine, I would have her tested for EIC. I realize you said she was cleared by parentage. However, given the similarities, it would be pro-active to confirm and get a vet involved. It is not that expensive.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
A dog with EIC continues to try to run/move as the back end collapses. They drag their back legs as they continue to try to complete the retrieve. This is a front leg, very short duration response to pain.

Meredith

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
It sounds like it is time to see a vet....to me.....but it is not my dog.

"The limp last about 30 minutes then she can hunt the rest of the day."

Why do you keep repeating her "Groundhog Day"?

·
Registered
12,178 Posts
I understand how it is difficult to get to the veterinarian with an injury that disappears. To lead the doctors down the correct diagnosis path. Without taking them hunting with you is a ruff row to hoe.
I had a very similar experience in one of my legs. Random occasions never while at the doctor's office. Ending up being pinched nerve in my back. Bad disk, surgery, all better. I would suspect some skeletal, nerve issues. Best of luck.

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
It’s not EIC, it’s not an injury, Doug Main proposed one possibility. It is likely metabolic, perhaps a deficiency of an electrolyte or a neuromuscular mediator. Add hypoglycemia, Addison’s disease, and hypokalemia (low serum potassium) to the list. A mechanical neurological disorder is possible but the relationship to exercise makes it less likely.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts