RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dog is running in a good line. I hit the whistle sit and he takes several steps to the right before stopping and sitting. As the distance from me grows, he takes a few more steps to the right before sitting.

How do I correct for this? Do I nick him as he is fading? If so, how does he know what the nick is for?

Thanks.

·
Registered
448 Posts
loopy sit. I work on loopy sit doing pile work. I try to do pile at least once a week with tune up drills. On about every 5th or 6th send to the pile I give her a sit whistle. If it's loopy there is another toot-burn--toot. After a few sessions the loopy sit cleans up--but it will still show it's ugly head so it's something we work on continously. Bird boy blinds are another good drill to work on loopy sits.

Your dog will know what he/she is getting corrected for if you give the tweet-burn--tweet.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Try some mowed paths

I had a field behind my house in Maine that I would cut single T with the addition of two angle backs from the crossing location. I would cut the path 4ft wide and it went down hill to the field and about 100 yards on the field. With the 4 ft path, my male CBR who had been giving me loopy sits in the field changed to button hook sits in just a few days. No room for big loop. He formed a habit and that was that. No Burns or Nicks, just lessons with environmental influence. (Although I do use a collar, just didn't in this situation)

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Interesting idea Ron. I gotta try that one. Seriously,,,, you just never know. Thanks!!!

If it were me I'd put the dog back on a long rope. I'd review "sit to the pile." When I hit that whistle the dog would hit the end of the rope. A few days of that and the whistle would have a whole new meaning.

Angie

·
Registered
82 Posts
This is a good question. The first dog I trained sit perfect on the whistle. He had a lot of style on his blinds as well but when I tooted the whistle he put his tale on the ground. My next dog Mattie took some a little work and like okvet said from time to time the loop comes back. The pup I am currently working with on T work is starting to show loopy sits as well. I have been using Evan's idea on Point of Contact CC and that has seemed to help. But this morning I could not help to think back to Dodge my first dog and how he always sit perfectly and the it hit me. When I did his TT work I too mowed the paths like mentioned before. The only reason I did this is because I was training with the Game Dog video and Charlie Jurney. With Dutch I am following Smart Work and Evan mentions not use mowed paths because it will defeat the idea of the dog holding lines and increase cheating tenencies later down the road. I have to agree with Evan because even though Dodge sit pefectly when we moved up the ladder in HT's and cheating became an issue it was something I had to spend a lot of time on and I know that the mowed paths fostered that problem. I believe with more OB work and the POC CC, I would rather fix the loopy sit then have to worry about the cheating tendencies down the road. Also just for the record I am by no means a pro trainer just some first hand info from the dogs that I have trained. By the way Dodge my first dog we did have two passes towards his MHR and I know we would have titled if I had not had to put him down, due to a brain tumor. So even thought we had the cheating problems we obiously overcame them.

Good Luck,
David Sours

1 - 5 of 5 Posts