RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into getting another pup this summer/fall and am doing some research into some different options of food and am considering Purina Pro Plan Performance. Here are my questions.

Do you start your pup out on ProPlan from the start?(after weening off what the breeder feeds) Or do you feed something else until they are a year old, then switch?

Do you feed the Proplan year round or switch to something with less or more fat content during the hot/cold seasons?

It may be a bit before I get a pup does anyone see a problem with stockpiling some food so I have some built up when the pup gets here.

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
My vet recommended not feeding puppy food. His advice is to feed an adult large breed food just more of it. It prevents the puppy's bones from growing to fast thus causing orthopedic problems later. He owns Labs himself so he stays up to date on all of the recent research. After doing a fair amount of reading on different dog foods I decided to feed taste of the wild based on Internet reviews and price. I could not be happier!! The dogs love it which is most important. good luck.. CBlood

·
Registered
409 Posts
My choice would be Canidae All Life Stage with 4 meat proteins (24/14.5) Great for growing pups and working adults. Just increase the food amount as the pup grows.

http://www.canidae.com

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm to new to send a pm sorry! I feed Taste of the wild wetlands formula! My puppy gets tons of compliments every time we go to the vet. She's just turned 6 months weighs 44 pounds, full of energy, has a beautiful fox red coat etc. really happy with the food. I have been ordering it off of the internet a 30lb bag is usually $45-48 shipped. For the quality of food it's the best bang for the buck. Good luck with your puppy!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I put my Lab pup on Pro Plan Turkey and Barley at 5 1/2 months, he's now going into his 8th month and doing great. All the rest of my Labs are on Pro Plan.
Been using Pro Plan for about 25 years. Tried a couple of other brands briefly, but back to Pro Plan.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I'm to new to send a pm sorry! I feed Taste of the wild wetlands formula! My puppy gets tons of compliments every time we go to the vet. She's just turned 6 months weighs 44 pounds, full of energy, has a beautiful fox red coat etc. really happy with the food. I have been ordering it off of the internet a 30lb bag is usually $45-48 shipped. For the quality of food it's the best bang for the buck. Good luck with your puppy!!
We feed the same to our 8 month old AWS pup. We get it from Tractor Supply for the same price.

·
Registered
89 Posts
There are several great brands out there available in a large breed puppy formula. It's important not to feed a small breed formula because they can grow too fast. I think www.dogfoodproject.com is a great resource. Personally I like Taste of the Wild, Wellness, Innova, or California Natural.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 13 month old BLF is doing great on Canidae ALS. She's doing better on this than she did on Proplan (e.g. smaller, firmer poops, thicker coat, shinier coat, fewer eye boogers).

·
Registered
24 Posts
To those feeding TOTW WEtlands to a puppy, don't you think that the Calcium and Phosphorus content is fairly high for a puppy food?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Did you all see that Taste of the Wild has a recall on it as of today?

I know some of my dogs are on it and I just saw the recall.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts