RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

My 10 month old lab needs a new dog house. I had a plastic resin one, but he has chewed it to pieces. A while ago, I found a brand that was like a square metal/aluminum box, insulated, elevated off the ground, etc, and they were kind of pricey (several hundred dollars) but cannot for the life of my remember the brand or find them google searching. Anyone know what brand this is?

I need a dog house that my pup can't chew up and will keep him warm and dry in the winter and cool and shaded in the summer.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! TIA

EDIT: Found the Brand I was looking for, K-9 Condos. Anyone use these, or have feedback regarding them? Are they worth the money?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sounds like a k9 condo you are describing. Don't have one but they get a lot of really good reviews and are supposed to be chew proof. I use 55gal plastic drums for mine, but if your dog is that big of a chewer, this might present a problem.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Get white 55 gal barrel from carwash (soap) cut half of lid out (inside thick lip) from 3 to 9 oclock with sawsall. Good to go
Pretty heavy duty plastic. If dog chews the remaining half of lid just cut that out too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bought a K-9 Condo when my dog was a puppy. He is just over three years old and it looks almost as good as new. I highly recommend it.
With the substantial insulation, he stays warm in winter and cool in summer. He sleeps in it year round.
NCShooter

·
Registered
191 Posts
I like the K-9 Condo also. But, I will say that I got a Dogloo for one dog because he just hated the barrel. He could eat an anvil with ease and chewed up several vari-kennels etc., but he never chewed on the Dogloo at all. Maybe they taste nasty or something, who knows.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Ted used our 1200 sq foot ranch,
he loved it.....

·
Registered
266 Posts
We use K9 condos! Dogs love them! I just bought the kit and I got free blue barrels from my workplace. I cleaned them out and added the kit, takes over an hour to assemble the first one. After that they get easier. It has been two years now and not one is chewed up! We did over 10 condos. A few dogs don't really like them unless it is raining but most do. Some love hanging out in them!

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Dog Den 2 from K9 Condos, the best commercially available dog house hands down! I have 4 of them for the Labradors and my lovely bride insisted that I get 2 more for the useless but entertaining rescues.

·
Registered
7,630 Posts
X3 on the Dog Den 2 by K9 Kondo... Have 2 of them with the heater units... (From my time in the NW). Quality dog houses.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
After having bought (at $150+ each) over 10 of the dogloo houses, I would highly recommend spending the money once on a dog den 2 ! Should easily last you for many many years unlike the dogloos that only lasted 2 yrs tops.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Dog Den 2 from K9 Condos, the best commercially available dog house hands down! I have 4 of them for the Labradors and my lovely bride insisted that I get 2 more for the useless but entertaining rescues.
Agree 100%

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
I have had good luck w/Igloo XL. The current one is 16 years old working on the 3rd dog. Not under cover. Only required a little external bleach cleaning. Just bought my 2nd one two months ago for a new pup. New England weather (cold/snow/heat/humidity).

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Last time I went pheasant hunting near Winner SD, I made the drive down to K-9 Condo in NE. Picked up 6ea Dog Den 2 houses. My dogs love them. I have a bad chewer & she has been completely frustrated by the construction of this doghouse. Highly recommend them, nothing better especially to keep a dog warm.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I now have 4, first one is 8 yrs. old, still looks good.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Tom and David or anyone else that fights heat and humidity in the summer-
How are the Dog Den 2 houses in the summer months?

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Tom and David or anyone else that fights heat and humidity in the summer-
How are the Dog Den 2 houses in the summer months?
Well they are not airconditioned and no dog is going into a house when it is hot. They should be under a roof or some type of shade and they can get on-top to lounge, mine prefer the concrete with the fan and mister working

·
Registered
7,630 Posts
Well they are not airconditioned and no dog is going into a house when it is hot. They should be under a roof or some type of shade and they can get on-top to lounge, mine prefer the concrete with the fan and mister working
Tell me more about your mister system please, Ed.

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Tell me more about your mister system please, Ed.
A kit from Home Depot and Lowes, tubes, connectors, and hose connections included which you can custom design for your needs. I mounted mine on the top rail of the runs with cable ties. I turn it on in the afternoon on hot days, it remarkably reduces the air temperature and combined with a 24 inch floor fan makes conditions for the dogs quite comfortable.

·
Registered
7,630 Posts
A kit from Home Depot and Lowes, tubes, connectors, and hose connections included which you can custom design for your needs. I mounted mine on the top rail of the runs with cable ties. I turn it on in the afternoon on hot days, it remarkably reduces the air temperature and combined with a 24 inch floor fan makes conditions for the dogs quite comfortable.
Does the amount of water coming out of it leave the floor of the kennel wet, or does that evaporate?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts