RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always hear people saying their dog needs a job around the house, you gotta get a job for your dog to keep him busy. Just curious as to what types of jobs your dogs are doing for you.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Chase the cat's (exercise), and remove all the wild critter's the cats bring into the house!! Other than that they are free to be dog's until we go training...

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Pick up anything I drop. Yesterday, Advil bottle dropped to the floor--one command and I didn't have to get under the table : )

Best thing about retrievers--you never have to bend over again.

Hubby uses the dogs to take things to me--one day my MH brought me a container of yogurt and a spoon!

Meredith

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
My girl retrieves the morning newspaper in the drive way. Nice when it is raining. The first 2 dogs I had use to meet me by the car when I came home from grocery shopping and would carry in the plastic bags for me. Unloaded twice as fast. Can't get this one to do it.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Taught 81 year old mother in law to send Jazz for the paper. Only problem is she won't take it from her and Jazz has to carry it around and find someone else to take it from her mouth.

·
Registered
585 Posts
One of my goldens used to get the morning newspaper--we'd open the door, say "fetch the paper" and off he'd go. Unfortunately he'd then stand by the door and if someone saw him there, they'd open the door thinking he hadn't gotten the paper yet. He'd head over to the neighbors and grab their papers. It got a little embarassing to try to figure out who in the neighborhood had picked up their own paper and who had not. He also loved to help carry in groceries.
Suzanne B

·
Registered
358 Posts
Most of whats listed above and even delivers Roses to hand On Valentines Day!:D

·
Registered
798 Posts
Mine are "special event planners".

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine have the job of eating the crumbs from underneath the high chair. The little one eats about 5 times a day, so whenever we come in from a walk, that's the first place they head. Sometimes they crash into each other, as the biggest morsel goes to "the winner."

:)

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Mine clear off the counter top of anything edible and wash the dishes -- as soon as you turn your back.

They also warm up your chair for you.

Helen

·
Registered
431 Posts
one of mine "checks the perimeter" every thirty minutes. He walks around the entire downstairs very deliberately sniffing all the walls. When he gets done, he gives us the all clear and goes back to chewing on his kong or takes a nap.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They also warm up your chair for you.

Helen
funny, mine keeps my spot warm the second I get up and walk into the other room. he's even reluctant to give up the spot if he doesn't think it's warm enough for me yet!

while these are funny and all, I was thinking more along the lines of things to keep the dog occupied for a period of time to make them feel like they accomplished something. I guess I'll just let him be a dog!

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I've posted this before,, But they do accomplish the task without pay,,, Just room and board...

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh yeah, mine's also responsible for taste testing the shower water before I get in.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine uses a towel to get into the fridge and get a cold beverage to bring to whomever calls for a "heavy" or a "light". ;)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
One of mine is the recycling engineer of the family making sure that the small nuggets left in the yard are combined into larger lumps easier to see and pick up.

·
Registered
248 Posts
My female lab finds and retrieves keys and tv remotes and dropped items, carries mail in from the box, turns lights off, takes off socks and can open the crate of my male dog. She also dispatches any bugs or critters that happen to get in the house.

·
Registered
153 Posts
According to my toddler, my dog's job is to wear a headband at all times while in the house and to submit to random ear/teeth checks.

My job requirements for her are to clean up all food/liquid messes made by the above-mentioned toddler, and to be respectful of my family. And she gets a weekly bonus if she doesn't step in poop and then track it all through the house.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts