RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are having a discussion in our training group. A dog goes to a thrown bird, picks it up walks a step or two drops it then stands on top of it and pees. The dog may not be peeing directly on the bird but it is within inches of it. As a judge is the dog DQ'd from an AKC Hunt Test? Looking for a judges input, because people in the group disagree on the answer.

Thank You

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
AKC Hunt Test, Junior series?? As long as the dog picked it back up and delivered to hand-no. Is it pretty--no. Its the dog flipping you off-in a nutshell. I guess if the judge wanted to be a nutcracker they could fail you for delivery. If its a one time event, the dog does not do it every bird or every 50' of the return in, I would not fail you. I would however be most unhappy that I have to now hold a peed on duck. If it did it everytime, then yes I would have to have a talk with my co-judge on trainability-especially in senior/master levels. My experience has been that dogs that act like this will take themselves out on trainability elsewhere in the test--because their heads are not really in the game and they are messing around.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
We are having a discussion in our training group. A dog goes to a thrown bird, picks it up walks a step or two drops it then stands on top of it and pees. The dog may not be peeing directly on the bird but it is within inches of it. As a judge is the dog DQ'd from an AKC Hunt Test? Looking for a judges input, because people in the group disagree on the answer.

Thank You

Dog pees on a bird. Dog is out. Dog drops bird to pee, but not on bird, not out.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
IMHO, yes, the dog would be dropped if he whizzes on the bird. If he drops it, whizzes (not on bird) the dog will most likely receive a lower score on train-ability. Perfection = 10 (everything else gets scored something else).

My reason is that the bird is not fit for human consumption after a dog whizzes on it. I think I've even heard judges mention this particular issue.

Sounds like the dog needs a little more work on his HOLD.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Follow up question.

This dog that peed on the bird is obviously flipping off the handler. How many here agree that if your dog flips you off in a test the BEST approach is to suck up your pride and pick up the dog, then thank the judges for a nice test?

Bert

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

Thank You
Not sure I would worry about what a judge would think. I would want that behavior stopped ASAP. Both the dropping and the peeing, are not good. Will take the dropping over the peeing, but would want to take care of the problem.

Or, are you just having a friendly "pissing contest" over rule clarification among your group? ;-)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Not sure I would worry about what a judge would think. I would want that behavior stopped ASAP. Both the dropping and the peeing, are not good. Will take the drooping over the peeing, but would want to take care of the problem.

Or, are you just having a friendly "pissing contest" over rules among your group? ;-)
There is a huge difference between a young dog that drops a bird due to poor mouth habits and one that pees on the bird, which is a defiant behavior in which the dog shows he considers the bird his possesion.

Bert

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
You mentioned training group:
Fetch, nick, fetch

At a test: drop your pants and pray the judges fall over laughing :D

Actually, at a test, I'd be confused because my dog doesn't act that way. If my dog did act that way, I'd want to work it out before I tested again. So...I wouldn't pick up my dog at a test because I'd be scratching my head over what the heck was going on (odds are pretty high that the judges wouldn't let me choose, though).

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Dog pees on a bird. Dog is out. Dog drops bird to pee, but not on bird, not out.

Uhh, how do you know if he peed on the bird or not?

·
Registered
319 Posts
The bird would be at least 1.5 ft in front of the whizz impact if the dog dropped the bird to pee.

Otherwise the dog dropped the bird, moved up and peed on the bird.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

Uhh, how do you know if he peed on the bird or not?
C,mon John, Mouth Is on one end of dawg, and peter is on the other.:):) I would think a dawg would have to work fairly hard to intentionally pee on bird. I do see your point though, the op said the dog moved up a few steps. You got me laughing--trying to visualize.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Well, they usually move around some when they pee...What if he moves up and lifts the opposite leg?

I agree it's not a good thing, just wonder how the judge would know where he peed.

·
Registered
883 Posts
This actually happened several years ago in a Q in Mobile I belive. The club was using Pheasant that had been shot the day before and not refrigerated for "blind birds". The pro handler was handling a Golden male. The dog went out, picked up the bird and came back within 30 feet of the line, put the bird down, looked at the judges, walked around the bird and peed on it. Then he looked at the judges, walked around the bird again, turned his rump toward the bird, took a dump on the bird and looked at the judges.

The OWNER was in the gallery, stood up and called, "Richard, do you want that dog?" He said yes, so he told Richard to clean up his mess and come by his office Monday and he would give him the papers. Someone made the comment, "Drop the dog, that bird is no longer fit for the table". Someone else made the comment that is exactly what the dog was trying to tell the judges. I tend to agree with the dog, those Pheasants were RIPE. Bill

·
Registered
172 Posts

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Maybe the duck peed in the dogs mouth first and you didn't know...can't blame the dog then.
Did yer Mom drop you?

Just curious regards

Bubba

·
Registered
530 Posts
IMHO, yes, the dog would be dropped if he whizzes on the bird. If he drops it, whizzes (not on bird) the dog will most likely receive a lower score on train-ability. Perfection = 10 (everything else gets scored something else).

My reason is that the bird is not fit for human consumption after a dog whizzes on it. I think I've even heard judges mention this particular issue.

Sounds like the dog needs a little more work on his HOLD.
No, the reason is the dog blatently showed that he was not under control (trainabilty)

Bert

1 - 20 of 34 Posts