RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone know what this is? I can't get vet appointment till next week. I noticed the upper lesion (which feels like a scab) last week after being out of town for awhile. I think the lower lip depigmentation appeared over the weekend while I was gone at a trial.

This is 11-year-old female Lab, spayed.

Probably I am headed to ER vet since I am traveling so much; meanwhile I'm hoping someone knows what this might be.

Dog breed Human body Jaw Whiskers Ear

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
Confucius says never make a diagnosis with insufficient information, my guess would be a puncture wound resulting in an infection of the upper lip, the depigmented lesion on the lower lip may or may not be related

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Confucius says never make a diagnosis with insufficient information, my guess would be a puncture wound resulting in an infection of the upper lip, the depigmented lesion on the lower lip may or may not be related
Thank you. Last week I was wondering if the upper lesion was a burn from licking the grill. Lower lesion might be new grill burn.

Edit: Cancel that about grill burn. Family says she has not had opportunity.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
It could possibly be just 'Sun Burn' ? but I'm no vet . ..Yellow labs with a pink snout (in general) rather than yellow labs with a black snout (in general) appear to suffer from Sun burn more ( I have found) , but again I ain't no scientist , just had a load of yellow labs with different colored snouts and live in a country that has rare intense sun . lol x
btw , anyone know why in genetics some have a black nose and some have a pink one ?? just curious.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It could possibly be just 'Sun Burn' ? but I'm no vet . ..Yellow labs with a pink snout (in general) rather than yellow labs with a black snout (in general) appear to suffer from Sun burn more ( I have found) , but again I ain't no scientist , just had a load of yellow labs with different colored snouts and live in a country that has rare intense sun . lol x
btw , anyone know why in genetics some have a black nose and some have a pink one ?? just curious.
She normally has black lips and black pigmentation between her nostrils and upper lip. The depigmentation I am concerned about is related to the circular lesions below her right nostril and on her lower right lip. It is not sunburn.

She used to have a black nose but it has paled as she aged. I think the phenomenon is called "snow nose."

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
She normally has black lips and black pigmentation between her nostrils and upper lip. The depigmentation I am concerned about is related to the circular lesions below her right nostril and on her lower right lip. It is not sunburn.

She used to have a black nose but it has paled as she aged. I think the phenomenon is called "snow nose."
Many yellows have nasal pigment fade in the winter, I guess that’s where the snow nose reference originated

Reactions: Renee P.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
She normally has black lips and black pigmentation between her nostrils and upper lip. It is not sunburn.
Well, that rules that out then. Often when you know something is not , it narrows it down a bit, depending on who says it also, extra intel like the grill, then change of info , what say the vet that diagnosis the nose is more likely to be in the knows . Poor girl, hope she gets better ....

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
yes and that has to do with the color genetics behind combining yellow and chocolate genes. There is a “no pigment” which is the pink and a “dudley” which is the “chocolate”colored nose on a yellow. The chart I linked explains it all in tremendous detail.

Meredith

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Anyone had a Yellow dog(or bitch) with black nose and pink eye rim ? Or a Yellow dog with pink nose and black eye rim ?
Or a yellow carrying chocolate that doesn't do what it's told ?:)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Are you feeding her out of a plastic bowl, or a bowl with steep sides? Is she rubbing her muzzle on the bowl when she eats? Puppies sometimes get irritated, infected muzzles from working too hard to get every molecule of food from the bowl. As she's aged, possibly her immune system is declining(?) Obviously, vet visit is the first priority.

You might try feeding from a shallow ceramic or stainless steel bowl or plate without any steep edges and wash the bowl in the dishwasher between every meal. It's harder to sterilize plastic between meals.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are you feeding her out of a plastic bowl, or a bowl with steep sides? Is she rubbing her muzzle on the bowl when she eats? Puppies sometimes get irritated, infected muzzles from working too hard to get every molecule of food from the bowl. As she's aged, possibly her immune system is declining(?) Obviously, vet visit is the first priority.

You might try feeding from a shallow ceramic or stainless steel bowl or plate without any steep edges and wash the bowl in the dishwasher between every meal. It's harder to sterilize plastic between meals.
Thank you. She has standard steel dog bowls. She is missing a lot of teeth including a canine on that side so trauma from eating is worth thinking about.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts