RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been asked before, but I'm on my phone---- and generally lazy ;)

For hunting CRP and flooded fields, what stand do you guys like?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Depending on how flooded the Avery Field Stand or the Ruff stand. The GFDB attaches to the Field stand as well

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I have made my own from 3/4" plywood; 2' by2' and brown truff glued on with pvc black pipe. The pipe was 3". My penny worth.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Here is the Cheap route......

(4) 2" PVC Tees cut in half at an angle
(1) 8" stick of 2" PVC pipe cut into (4) 2' sections
(1) 2' X 2' piece of 3/4" marine grade plywood
(1) 3' X 3' piece of brown astroturf
(1) 3' X 3' piece of camo fabric
(8) sets of 1/4" X 3" carriage bolts complete with cut washers and locknuts
(1) rattle can of flat black paint
(1)quart of Thompsons water seal

*Cut legs to 2' sections and drill 1/4" holes every 6" down

*Cut Tees at angle so that the legs angle outward and not straight down, for the best support

*Place cut tees onto platform near the corners and position so that the tees are just below a corner of the platform and drill 1/4" hole from the top of tees all the way thru the deck and attach with hardware.

*soak the everliving heII out of plywood with the Thompsons

*once dry, wrap astroturf around the plywood, keeping it taunt and use staple gun to fasten it to plywood. Cover astroturf with camo material

*Install legs into tees and paint with the flat black spray paint

Takes about all of an hour and cost is about $35 (I have have several set of legs cut to different lengths depending upon the conditions of different spots.)

Long Legs

Short Legs

·
Registered
40 Posts
Get you a Sportstand it is the best on the market. I have had mine for 2 duck seasons and I hunt 50 days a year and I use the stand every time.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I emailed sportstand and inquired about adding the grommet for a drain and they advised using a hot nail or soldering iron to melt a small hole in the material for water to drain.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I emailed sportstand and inquired about adding the grommet for a drain and they advised using a hot nail or soldering iron to melt a small hole in the material for water to drain.
I added 4 grommets to mine and it drains great with no problems. This is another vote for Sportstand.

Buck

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
GulfCoast rolls with the Sportstand. Swears by it.
So do I. I have a 10 year old SportStand that is still running very strong.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
GulfCoast rolls with the Sportstand. Swears by it.
EMD and I (along with the unpictured crew) hunt with a Sportstand about 40something days a year. It is totally superior to anything else I have tried:

There is no comparison between the Sportstand and the Ruffstand. I have owned both, and you could not GIVE me another Ruff Stand. I use my Ruff Stand now as a portable table when I judge hunt tests, just to get some practical use out of the rickety wobbly finger pinching thing.

You can sit on a Sportstand with your puppy, too!

·
Registered
17,222 Posts
Nie thing about the Sportstand is that they fold up for easy to tote and are light yet sturdy.

I have two, the tall one and shorter one. I've never used the taller one and will let it go cheap.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts