RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the best way to charge your trailer battery after a day of draining it with fans running. With just a short drive it doesn't charge much from the truck. Normally I just plug in a battery charger @ night, but I am looking for a better solution. Weekends traveling to test, there isn't always a place to plug in at night to recharge. Has anyone ever installed a solar powered battery charger in a trailer/boat? Solar panel would need to be durable enough to be mounted on trailer and hauled down the road going to test/trials.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have a solar panel mounted to the top of my dog truck. Works great, I haven't had the batteries go dead yet, although I have 3 batteries.
deb

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
I have heard of people doing something like this to charge boat batteries, assume it works (but never tried it myself).

http://www.ehow.com/how_7740418_charge-boat-batteries-towing.html

Fuishins Link is how my Pop up trailer is wired. The battery is charged by the vehicle electrical system (alternator)when traveling..
It is best though to start out with a fully charged battery before the trip.. (I used a home based charger)

We also did use the solar panels to charge the trailers battery when we camped for a week or more. They are available through cabelas,, and many of the RV Camping centers.. They work OK.. We only required enough battery though to run small lights inside the trailer at night... We wernt running fans, that have a pretty high draw.

Gooser

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
You can also have dual batteries installed in your truck.. The instalation will come with an isolator that Keeps vehicle battery and second "R.V. battery seperated... You wont pull current from your vehicles battery ,, and risk the truck not starting.

Gooser

1 - 7 of 7 Posts