RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my dog from the trainer. He's been with them almost a month. The trainer said Tank is not keeping on weight. There are no obvious medical conditions. Stool is good. appetite is good. Attitude is good. Energy...off the charts.

He is a small energetic 10 Month lab (50lb.) to begin with. At home on a normal routine I feed him 3 cups in the morning and 3 cups at night. This kept his weight perfect.

He's now down to about 40 lb. which is too light for sure. The trainer says he was up to feeding him 10 cups a day and still couldn't keep weight on him. He's been training dogs professionally for 40 years and says he's only seen this a handful of times. He believes that my pup simply won't rest in his large kennels. So his suggestion was to take him home for a couple weeks and put some weight back on him than he'll take him back. He said start with 8 cups until he gets some weight back on. It makes sense but just wanted to bounce it off you guys.

My pup already started gaining weight. At home he is confined in a crate. I think this forces him to relax. I think I may tell my trainer to confine him in the crate when he's put away. This is just a thought.....what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
If he is eating that much and losing then he needs to see a vet. Could have worms. I have the same issue with one of mine, kennel stress gets to him bad. He however doesn't much for the first few weeks and by that time he is down a good bit and never puts it back on, at least with the pro. My dog would be in the vet in the morning, JMO.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
The first question I would ask is what is the trainer feeding? Is a a decent quality , meat based food? Maybe you should send him whatever you feed...
But as a kennel manager, some dogs stress the weight off and some are VERY busy in the run.
Ask if he settles down in the run. If he has indoor/ outdoors , I might lock him in during the day and let him out at night, when everyone else is quiet. It really depends on his schedule. If he is in the trailer all day , different story...
You might also send him with some probiotics, like Probios....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bridget,

I'm sure it's definately a little bit of stress.

The way my trainers kennels are designed are all indoors. and then he also has some outdoor kennels. Its basicall a big hallway with kennels on each side. It's well ventilated and very clean. They are really nice kennels. He trains on the property so he isn't in a trailer at all. Basically he's in the kennel or training. He trains every dog 2 -3 times a day...20-30 minute sessions. I just don't think he ever gets settled down being that close to all the dogs. He's been crate trained his whole life.

He gives good food I don't remember the brand....I mean even crap food at 10 cups he shouldn't lose weight.

I guess I never realized stress could cause such weight loss without any other side effects like loose stool or loss of energy etc.

I'm thinking about leaving his crate with my trainer next time. I need to look into probiotics..

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Also what are his stools like? Is he having normal (firm) stools or are they constantly loose?

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Are his stools rather....well, copious and perhaps loose? If he's eating 10 cups of food a day and losing weight, I should think it's more than stress.

I think I'd take a stool sample and him to the vet. It may be as simple as worms or it could be EPI...exocrine pancreatic insufficiency.

Eric

·
Registered
306 Posts
My friend had this problem with his gsp and they switched her to from euk maintenance to acana sport and agility food. It has much higher protien and fat content. They feed less and she now looks great.

Edit: I would agree with others that you should rule out something medical first.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
medical isn't making a whole lot of sense since he is putting on weight now at home....

I said before his stool was and is completely normal. In fact everything was normal except his weight loss. I need to check into the type of food he was using.

Has anyone had a similar weightloss problem with an overly active dog.....that was otherwise healthy.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
You may want to take a look at the Elements nutrition supplement. It can be very beneficial in putting on weight, and stamina for working dogs. I know that Mike Lardy has used it, and may still be. The same for Andy Attar. I talked to Todd Schuebel and he is recommending Elements E for one of my dogs. He is very helpful and enjoys talking to people about thsi product.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Yes, I've had a few experiences like this, I am a boarding kennel owner and have had about 10 dogs in the last 4 years who are very very active, playful, athletic dogs who seemed to be having a good time during group play and even in their kennel, but who would lose weight and really worry me. The key was that they would not eat a normal amount of food, however.

Don't want to ruffle feathers, but wonder if your dog was actually eating while with the pro. I'm sure he or she was eating some amount, but was it a normal or healthy amount? Can't believe a dog could eat 10 cups of food a day and lose weight, no matter how active in their kennel. My kennels are 5 feet by 10 feet and the dogs get to be outside playing with other dogs most of the day while kenneling with me. The dogs that play are totally exhausted from it, but the only ones that lose weight are the ones that won't eat. I regularly board dogs for one to three months at a time, too. The one's that lose weight, are stressed from being away from their family and from being kenneled - whether they show that stress or not.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
My pup already started gaining weight. At home he is confined in a crate. I think this forces him to relax. I think I may tell my trainer to confine him in the crate when he's put away. This is just a thought.....what do you guys think?
Yes, I agree with this. Dogs need to learn to settle and some cant do it in a kennel run. Thats my protocol if I have one in that is too muchin the kennel, although combined with being "too much" in the kennel those guys are also 'pigs' .(ie- running/pooping/stomping). I wont tolerate that so thats usually why they end up in a crate.
Hope theres nothing serious wrong with this guy-though it sounds like hes just too active since its a pretty abrupt change.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He's been home a few days now. Putting a little weigt on. I've never owned a dog with this much stamina and energy. Unless he's in his crate he's hyper. Even at night...we go to bed usually around 930. He goes to sleep right away but never sleeps through the night. At 4 in the morning he's always up getting the other dogs up and playing. I'm feeding him 8 cups and he is gaining weight but not fast by any means.

I trust the trainer about his feeding....I went out there every week and checked up on my pup and there was never any indication that he was anything but a great trainer.

Supplements sound like a good idea and I believe I will drop my crate with him next time.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
What do you feed? 8 cups is a ton of food for a dog to eat in a day.
He's been home a few days now. Putting a little weigt on. I've never owned a dog with this much stamina and energy. Unless he's in his crate he's hyper. Even at night...we go to bed usually around 930. He goes to sleep right away but never sleeps through the night. At 4 in the morning he's always up getting the other dogs up and playing. I'm feeding him 8 cups and he is gaining weight but not fast by any means.

I trust the trainer about his feeding....I went out there every week and checked up on my pup and there was never any indication that he was anything but a great trainer.

Supplements sound like a good idea and I believe I will drop my crate with him next time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I feed him Retriever brand hi protein 27/15. I just got a tip about a product called prozyme and I just ordered a bottle of it to see if maybe he is not fully digesting all of the nutrients.

Once again his health is tip top. He's underweight but not skeletor. His energy and attitude is unchanged since training....in fact I would say he has a bit more pep in his step to be honest. I will take a photo tonight.

I'm only feeding him 8 cups now to put weight on him I think a solid 5-10lbs. of weight gain would be good for him vet thinks so too. She said his health is good and everything looks good and that some dogs just burn tons of calories and she said said mine is one of the most hyper dogs shes seen in some time. This made OB really tough....that's why the trainer was a must. He is now much better with OB. His normal diet before going to the trainer was 6 cups a day. 3 in the morning 3 in the afternoon I will go back to that once he gets back some weight.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
Try a Thundershirt before you spend money on supplements, it works for various types of anxiety and hyperactivity. I know of at least two field trial dogs who bloat and develop anxiety diarrhea when on a dog truck, both have responded very well. One dog in particular underwent all types of testing but continued to have problems, his trainer told me that the Thundershirt "saved his life".

http://www.thundershirt.com/?gclid=CPiEjvGKhbACFeJgTAodEBvLkQ

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Get him on a decent food--that stuff is not a quality food at all.
I feed him Retriever brand hi protein 27/15. I just got a tip about a product called prozyme and I just ordered a bottle of it to see if maybe he is not fully digesting all of the nutrients.

Once again his health is tip top. He's underweight but not skeletor. His energy and attitude is unchanged since training....in fact I would say he has a bit more pep in his step to be honest. I will take a photo tonight.

I'm only feeding him 8 cups now to put weight on him I think a solid 5-10lbs. of weight gain would be good for him vet thinks so too. She said his health is good and everything looks good and that some dogs just burn tons of calories and she said said mine is one of the most hyper dogs shes seen in some time. This made OB really tough....that's why the trainer was a must. He is now much better with OB. His normal diet before going to the trainer was 6 cups a day. 3 in the morning 3 in the afternoon I will go back to that once he gets back some weight.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
This is what your dog is eating:

Meat and bone meal, ground yellow corn, wheat middlings, ground wheat, soybean meal, animal fat (preserved with BHA and citric acid), corn gluten meal, animal digest, salt, potassium chloride, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, color added (red #40, yellow #5, blue #2), L-lysine, zinc oxide, niacin, copper sulfate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, manganous oxide, calcium pantothenate, vitamin B12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin supplement, sodium selenite, calcium iodate, folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement, cobalt carbonate..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
LOL...you probably have a dog water purifier for your dog too. They eat their own ****....

I agree that you need to get quality nutrients but their is very little difference between that and the other stuff. If I was feeding him walmart ALPO...ok than you could say he needs something a little more for performance but there is very little difference in the mid range food.

Here's Pro plan performance...
Chicken, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), whole grain corn, corn bran, fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), animal digest, fish oil, dried egg product, potassium chloride, salt, calcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, Vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
S-4461

Lots of very similar stuff.....in similar amounts.

I've fed my dogs the same stuff with no issues....in fact this problem arose when he was at the trainer not while he was being fed Retriever brand.

Flame away but you're not going to get anywhere......when was the last time you looked at a label that you ate??? LOL.. You're still alive and well right?

I would love to feed them the high dollar stuff but I think for must it's unneccasary.....I may go with Diamond...that seems to have good reviews.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I started feeding my two girls who are in training Royal Canin's Energy4800. They are each under 60lbs, and were eating as much as my 80lb males on the other food (PP Salmon). With this I have been able to cut back the amount they are eating and still maintain energy and condition without having such a large amount of food in their systems. http://products.royalcanin.us/produ...Animal=Dog&DogSize=Medium&MediumAge=1-7 Years

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
If I were you I wouldn't be a dick to people offering advice. That food is junk and you would come out money ahead to get a good feed and feel much less per day.
LOL...you probably have a dog water purifier for your dog too. They eat their own ****....

I agree that you need to get quality nutrients but their is very little difference between that and the other stuff. If I was feeding him walmart ALPO...ok than you could say he needs something a little more for performance but there is very little difference in the mid range food.

Here's Pro plan performance...
Chicken, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), whole grain corn, corn bran, fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), animal digest, fish oil, dried egg product, potassium chloride, salt, calcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, Vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
S-4461

Lots of very similar stuff.....in similar amounts.

I've fed my dogs the same stuff with no issues....in fact this problem arose when he was at the trainer not while he was being fed Retriever brand.

Flame away but you're not going to get anywhere......when was the last time you looked at a label that you ate??? LOL.. You're still alive and well right?

I would love to feed them the high dollar stuff but I think for must it's unneccasary.....I may go with Diamond...that seems to have good reviews.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts