RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 month old female lab has no problem peeing in her crate. I am not sure what her deal is.

If I hold her water back some she seems ridulously thirsty all the time. If I let her drink as much as she wants she will pee herself in the crate within 30 minutes of doing it.

I have had her in a really small crate and she still does it. I had a urinalous done and she doesn't have a uti.

This is getitng frustrating.

·
Registered
893 Posts
This may sound like a stupid question...... but have you punished her for it? She obviously doesnt care, but if there is no negative consequence, she will probably continue to do it. JMO

·
Registered
893 Posts
Just re-read the post, and you say she is five months??? Has she done this all along, or is this new? Big difference.......

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Not normal. Did they just check for infection or did they check kidney function as well ? Also might be an abnormality in her ureter.

Meredith

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not normal. Did they just check for infection or did they check kidney function as well ? Also might be an abnormality in her ureter.

Meredith
Meredith I actually go to the same vet as you in Adel. I know they ran a urinalousis and it came back negative, not sure if they checked Kidney function.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Is your crate to big? I find that if it is too big the dog is not afraid to pee in one part and lay in another. Definitely check for infections also.

·
Registered
725 Posts
If you give her water, let her out right after. You say she pees within 30 min. of having water. I find it's very common for pups to be like a sieve when it comes to water. It comes right back out! Same with feeding. I find they need to poop very shortly after eating.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is your crate to big? I find that if it is too big the dog is not afraid to pee in one part and lay in another. Definitely check for infections also.
She would do it in a really small crate, she grew out of it and is now in a full size crate. She is a stuborn one but I think she will be a good one.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
do you lock her in the crate for periods of time even if you aren't leaving? Let her get comfortable being in there even if you are still walking around the house or just watching tv. make her know that that place is her place, her house.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
do you lock her in the crate for periods of time even if you aren't leaving? Let her get comfortable being in there even if you are still walking around the house or just watching tv. make her know that that place is her place, her house.
yep she is in the crate a lot. We let her in there even when we are home.

It is wierd first dog was so much easier, this one has been difficult.

·
Registered
438 Posts
How is she in the rest of her housebreaking? Any "submissive" pee in front of you? Excited pee? Do you punish for accidents in the house and in the crate? Does she pee more when you punish?

A dog that is doing submissive pee will only pee more when the punishment is more than they can handle - even in their crate.

I would also have the vet check the vulva and the urethra. A shortened urethra can make it hard, even impossible, for a dog to hold it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts