RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog is just getting started in this sport. He entered his first tests this past weekend and got two passes in Started. The problem I saw was that he wants to exit the water 5-10 feet to the right or left of where he entered. Any suggestions are welcomed.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Don't worry about it... You're dog needs a ton more training to even begin to recognize that it was exiting improperly...

Angie

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
How is everything in Butler by the way???? That area is my old tromping ground.

Angie

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply Angie. Butler? Well the usual...one day tank tops and the next winter coats. Where exactly in Butler did you stomp?

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
How old is the dog? What training has he had so far?

Evan

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I think he is about 1 or 2 years old. He is a rescue and very willing to please. I have done lots of obedience with him and have completed force fetch. Still tweaking collar conditioning.

We are working with a trainer and have done lots of land work, but still a bit cold for water in Western PA. Would like to have a plan if I need one for this problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He is my second golden. Yes he is just starting out.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Julie, after watching the video I noticed only 2 things wrong. The first one I will blame the judges sort of, the second you know better. The first was the leash in the hand, judges should have reminded you, second was you touched the dog before you took the bird. That said it looked like he did a good job. That was a big open bank just beggin a young dog to land anywhere.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was UKC Started the judges were very kind on that one. He does not have to deliver to hand but since he did such a nice job they let it slide. It's been a few years since i ran a dog so shame on me for forgetting. I wanted him to sit but the weather was very cold and he didn't want to sit in the mud. Can't really blame him. Yep should have put the leash in my pocket. Again UKC isn't too picky about that (not like akc) but I took off my gloves and put them in my pockets so had no place for my leash. Stupid I know. Won't do it againl.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
no advice just wanted to say I like your avatar!

·
Registered
234 Posts
In training if they are trying to come out of the water early or to the right or left walk in the opposite direction encouraging them to come down the waters edge a little further.
deb

1 - 12 of 12 Posts