RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got home from training, with 2 dogs in crates in the bed of my z71 truck.
Tailgate broke and would not open to let them out, spent about 15 minutes or so tying to open it, so I went and woke up wife to help me get them out.
Thought it was going to be a big hassel, but they bailed out.
Then I was putting stuff in the garage and heard a crash and the dogs were in the bed of my truck getting bumpers. They jumped in with the tailgate closed.
Wife said she saw them do it before, but I didnt bealive her.:eek:

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I adopted a Chocolate a decade ago for a few months. The bottom of the base of the window's on the house were right at 66". I could open the window(no screen) and say load up and he'd jump in the house without even touching the window frame.

So jumping the standard 48" Chainlink Fences was nothing for him.

Like yours, he too could also clear the side of a Full Size F150 and never touch the paint. Just a tad 2-3 step running start and Lift Off! It was awesome to see.

I've yet to see a Lab with his jumping ability. He was a bit on the thin side too though I'm sure that aided.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I had two Chesapeakes that were jumpers. One big deadgrass female that I had in the late 1980s that would follow me around the riding ring when I was schooling horses and jump the jumps after me. When she went to live with my brother, she jumped in and out of his house through the windows just like Dustin described. So he and his roommates started shutting the downstairs windows when they were gone so she'd stay in the house. They forgot about the upstairs--and she'd jump out a 2nd story window, land on an old van parked in their backyard and be outside when they got home. Of course doing that she couldn't get back inside; fortunately she never went anywhere. My brother also taught her a trick; she could jump up and twist in the air and land on top of a fireplace mantle just like a cat. It was pretty amazing how agile she was for a big 80 lb. dog.

A daughter of the above dog (old timers on this forum might remember me talking about Puffin's dam J-Bell) was also quite an accomplished jumper. She, too could jump in the back of even a big 4WD truck with the tailgate up with ease. She always went on cross country trail rides with us (even joined the hunt a few times when it would cross our farm) and followed the horses over the jumps. She could clear 5' with ease. She could jump higher, but would usually "kick off" the top with her back legs. Somewhere I have a photo someone took of her going over a coop in "horse show' form.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My best jumper was my old Aussie Cattle Dog (blue heeler) She could jump from the ground to the top of a 5' round bale easily and would bounce form the side to side of them when stacked like a mountain goat.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Ive got a 14 month old female in for training. shes 41 lbs soaking wet and not even knee high at the back....I watched her clear the side of my truck (Toyota Tundra with 2 inches of lift) flat footed and land in the bed like a cat last week for a duck i had laying back there after training. When its time to eat, she "bounces" at the door of the kennel......kennels are 6 ft high and her head is completely above the kennel...again, flat footed....I would say she is part kangaroo but for her size it is more likely jack-rabbit...

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 55 lb girl just jumped into the bed of my lifted Ford Ranger (tailgate up) the other day. It surprised the heck outta me. It's amazing how athletic some dogs are.

The wife and I are looking for houses, and now we're thinking a 4 ft fence won't cut it...

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
My 55 lb girl just jumped into the bed of my lifted Ford Ranger (tailgate up) the other day. It surprised the heck outta me. It's amazing how athletic some dogs are.

The wife and I are looking for houses, and now we're thinking a 4 ft fence won't cut it...

We ran invisable fence inside the regular fence. Solved that problem!:D
It also cured the digger.

·
Registered
48 Posts
That's a good idea. A lot of the houses we're looking at already have 4' fences, and it'd suck to tear up a perfectly good fence to put in a taller one. I still don't see how this little dog can jump so high. She did it again a few minutes ago...

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
That's a good idea. A lot of the houses we're looking at already have 4' fences, and it'd suck to tear up a perfectly good fence to put in a taller one. I still don't see how this little dog can jump so high. She did it again a few minutes ago...

My jumper was clearing baby gates at 13 weeks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts