RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Powerade and Gatorade bad for dogs? I was drinking one at the HT this weekend, it was hot and humid so I figured I would let my dog have some. He seemed to like it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I don't know if it has any adverse reactions to dogs but SportDog makes a supplement you add to a dogs water which is similar to a gatorade or powerade for humans.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Rehydrate is an electrolyte supplement offered above at the Dogs Afield link for $8. The Sportdog hydration supplement runs $20 and can be had at www.gundogsupply.com I have heard good things about both.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have heard that electrolyte supplements can cause problems for dogs if taken in excess. It is typical for human and equine athletes to take electrolyte supplements. However, both humans and horses lose electrolytes through sweat which is something that dogs don't do. Given a dogs inability to sweat they cannot readily shed excess electrolytes which can cause problems. I suggest talking with your vet or someone who specializes in canine nutrition.

Chris

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yep, Tater speaks the truth. The dog supplements are teamed way back to compared to humans. Would only recommend to stuff made for dogs.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
There's more than one series in field trials? Whoda thunk:)
I should have been more clear. I give it after the first series but before the call backs. :p Now that you mention it, I bet if I didn't give it we would be called back. Also, it is possible I got a bad batch. Chad turned me on to it and Grady and Trav are always going on to the next series, so there must be something wrong with mine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts