RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of dogs that will not touch their water during the day. We work so the dogs are in the kennel during the day. One of them is 6 and he has always been that way and now I have a 3yr old that is not drinking. We pour the water out every morning and night and put in fresh - we have tried metal pails -buckets - plastic buckets ect. small bowl big bowl, two bowls - we've tried it. When we turn them into potty yard or the back yard we have water for them in the same type of containers (we've switched them around) and when the are out they drink! mostly after feeding and late at night. It's hot - and they look gutted --maybe should not worry - if they are thursty they will drink. When we train no problem. Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
834 Posts
A couple of thoughts come to mind:

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink"

"Don't sweat the small stuff"

You said it yourself: If they are thirsty they will drink.

Seriously, don't worry about. You said you're at work all day. When you're gone the dogs just sleep/nap. Nothing to make them thirsty.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
My dogs are the same way. My wife and I can come after leaving the dogs alone for hours, their large water bowl is full and as soon as we walk in they run to the bowl and start drinking like "thank God Mom and Dad came home, we were dying of thirst". It's wierd, I really do wonder what the deal is.

John

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I shouldn't, but I also tend to worry just a tad about this when training, playing or testing. My dog won't eat or drink once she figures out we're about to do something.

I provide food & water for her, but she rarely touches the stuff on those days. She seems to prefer the running water (what dog doesn't?) so I bring a squirt bottle. Dang dogs do so much to and for us, that the least I can do is carry around a squirt bottle for her.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Mine are the same way, but they still get water put in their kennels - on occasion, very rare they will drink, but you can bet as soon as I let them out and after they have wiped their eye goobers and shedding hair all over me they race to the water bowl in the kitchen to slurp water all over the place!

Dog's will drink if they get thirsty, I wouldn't worry about it unless they are lethargic, bowl movements change drastically or eating habits change drastically. Just keep providing them with a clean fresh supply so they have if they need it!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone - I was raised with horses and the first sign of them not feeling well is they go off water. Thats why i never used auto water. I liked to see how much they drank each day. Just a habit and too much of a worry wart I guess. You know how it is - they are our best friends !

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Thanks everyone - I was raised with horses and the first sign of them not feeling well is they go off water. Thats why i never used auto water. I liked to see how much they drank each day. Just a habit and too much of a worry wart I guess. You know how it is - they are our best friends !
I think you asked a valid question and it's better to be safe than sorry - I think with these guys that lethargic behavior, lack of eating or bad bowel movements (the runs, not urinating) is really a good key to a health issue. Also if their temperament gets aggressive for no reason is also a trigger something might be wrong. I think we all worry about our dogs. I know I do....just ask my Vet and Dr. Ed ;)

·
Registered
513 Posts
I may be giving them too much credit, but I always figured it was because they learned through trial and error that drinking a lot of water while I was gone meant having to 'hold' it until I got home.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Mine are the same way, but they still get water put in their kennels - on occasion, very rare they will drink, but you can bet as soon as I let them out and after they have wiped their eye goobers and shedding hair all over me they race to the water bowl in the kitchen to slurp water all over the place!

Dog's will drink if they get thirsty, I wouldn't worry about it unless they are lethargic, bowl movements change drastically or eating habits change drastically. Just keep providing them with a clean fresh supply so they have if they need it!
Mine do pretty much the same thing, I have only seen my older one drink maybe once or twice in 4.5 years out of the pain in the kennel.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I thought the same thing as RockyDog. Plus, like humans, I think we forget they get a LOT of water from their food.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I may be giving them too much credit, but I always figured it was because they learned through trial and error that drinking a lot of water while I was gone meant having to 'hold' it until I got home.
Rocky Dog - that's what I think is going on - I'm glad to know it might be a possibility. the two dogs i said did not drink during the day will not pee in their kennel. my older dog doesn't care and urinates all the time - he also drinks a lot during the day. I think they do the same thing when on the trainers truck. They just learn they are on the truck and just cant pee when they want too - so they they dont drink until they know they will be out for a while. In a potty yard usually when they are left out a while or in the backyard ect. Then they drink - sometimes I wonder if that causes them to drink too much. Maybe should start another thread on that question ?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
If your worried put water with their food, we do it with all the working dogs, keeps the skin plump, and they don't look so shrunken up.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mine do the same thing. Can't get the. To drink at test either regardless of temp. Afterwards when they calm down they can drain a lake. That can't be healthy

·
Registered
614 Posts
I wouldn't worry. What are you gonna do administer IV's? Seriously, my dogs only drink about a quart a day while in the kennel. However, when I empty their pails and fill with fresh water (each evening) they drink like they are thirsting to death!

Lonster

1 - 17 of 17 Posts