RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new and have been doing alot of looking at past trials and trials coming up and have noticed a Mr Aul who seems like he has dogs with about 12 different professional handlers. Is this normal?

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If this is a bad subject or steps on any toes please remove it. I do not want it to start any problems. I looked it up and didn't notice anything regarding this.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
There are several folk who have dogs with multiple pros rather than having them all on the same truck. I can only speculate as to the reason they do it. If I had numerous dogs (8 or more) and wanted and could afford a pro to train them, I'd split my dogs.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I think most pros wouldn't want all/most of the their dogs to belong to one client. That old saying about all your eggs in one basket comes to mind. Make that client mad and you lose most/all of your income.

·
Registered
798 Posts
If they are with different pros, running different trials, at least they aren't fighting themselves for placements.

·
Registered
890 Posts
There are several folk who have dogs with multiple pros rather than having them all on the same truck. I can only speculate as to the reason they do it. If I had numerous dogs (8 or more) and wanted and could afford a pro to train them, I'd split my dogs.
This has at least some to do with it. I've heard Hugh Arthur make the statement that he doesn't like having more than a couple of dogs that belong to the same person.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
If they are with different pros, running different trials, at least they aren't fighting themselves for placements.
I would think that this would be a major consideration. If you have all your dogs with one Pro then you are competing with yourself essentially. By placing your dogs with different Pros that run different circuits, then the likelihood of competing with yourself is mitigated.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Just like in horse racing,owners with the financial means to do so will have their stable running in different stakes races throughout the country with the common goal of pointing toward one of the Triple Crown races, in Dr Aul's case it might be because he can,nice problem to have isn't it

·
Registered
376 Posts
Have you seen the movie Moneyball? Many aspects of that movie could be applied to Field Trials.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Justin:
You have to be a baseball fan or watch the movie to understand who Billie Bean is.

Oakland As were very limited on money.
Yankees have all the money and all the great players.

Billy Bean traded for "rough cut coal" in hopes of making them diamonds and beating the Yankees.

Oakland As have yet to win the World Series.

There is a great deal of money in the field trial game. There is also a great amount of passion, commitment, effort and luck into making a field trial champion. It is easier to produce a field champion when you have more money because you can afford the best of everything.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Kyle:
Why yes some would say I look like Brad Pitt. As you know I can get all bowed up like in Fight Club. Don't make me cut ya.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Trevor/fowl.....whoever, I thought Chris booted your ass off of rtf?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.