RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a couple of Dogtra batteries some time last year for my 1900. I waited a few months to milk all the battery life I could out of the old one, so the one I put in my transmitter has not been in all that long. Anyone have any idea why a battery would not seem to hold a charge for more than a few days with very light usage, and show only one bar on the screen? I might use the transmitter in the "on" mode for 30-45 minutes a night, and not every night. And it shows a full charge when I turn the transmitter on, but a few minutes later, it’s down to a single bar. I don’t even use the collar much either as far as stimulation. I still have another of the two batteries left, but the one in there I has not seen that much use, and at $30 a piece or whatever they were, I just don’t want to swap one out if I don't have to yet.

Any suggestions? Just forget it and try the other one?

Thanks

·
Registered
231 Posts
If they're nicad batteries that have sat in a state of discharge for a while, they may take a few cycles of charge/discharge in order to reach a full charge. The best way to complete this is to almost completely discharge them before charging. After 3-4 cycles, they should hold close to a full charge. If they don't, there is a chance that there is a bad cell in the pack, and will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. They are nicad batteries, and I have been using them for a few months. I did charge them before I used them, and I usually run them down pretty far before recharging. I did not use the original batteries very much at all, and they lasted for years and did not have to recharge often at all. Now that I switched the one in the transmitter, it doesn't even last a few days before it needs recharged again.

I hope it does not need replaced already. These are too expensive to get this short of a life out of the battery (a few months) if it needs replaced again already.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts