RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience using the Dogtra QL (quail size) box launcher? I could potentially pick a couple of them up at a very good price, but am concerned that they might not even throw pigeons/small bumpers high enough for marks? I currently use a GU winger and know what the Dogtra box is obviously not comparable, but the price is right to add to the mix if they are serviceable for shorter (50 - 100 yard) marks.

Thanks for the input,

Tylor

·
Registered
134 Posts
Tylor

The Dogtra box launchers are in my opinion as good as it gets in this style of launcher. I use them all the time to launch LIVE birds (pigeons, quail & chukar) for both my pointing and flushing dogs while training for upland field work. However, I am not sure you will be happy with them for throwing marks at 50 to 100 yards. They will simply launch the bird or small bumper straight up. I never lauched a dead bird, but would guess that 6 to 8 feet high is all they would toss one. They would not be ideal for marks in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I don't think you could use the DT or Dogtra - even the PL size - for marks with anything bigger than quail. (I have a string operated one that I never use.)

I have Sure Flyte boxes and use them for 100 yd marks with dead ducks (small ones are best) if I tip it on an angle. Even the powerful boxes are marginal for dead bird marks. (They're usually the short bird with GU SOG long.)

For upland stuff, the Sure Flyte, GU & Zinger boxes probably are too much flush for quail, but fine for big birds. Maybe too much even then if you're really working to steady your dog to flush and shot and want to tempt them. (But I like the high flush for safety, esp. at a test where I don't know the gunner...)

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have two and I would not use them to throw marks with dummies or dead birds. Best used with live Pigeon and Chuckar. I picked mine up for $200 with electronics, the remotes were worth that alone.

Also, for pointing there is quite an opinion on planting live birds vs. using these launch boxes. They begin to associate the mechanical noise with a point and that's not good, from what I hear. Works for flushers well through.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the input - pretty in-line with what I was expecting to hear I guess but just wanted to make sure I wasn't passing on a good deal.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't know about the Quail Launcher but I have a Dogtra Pheasant Launcher that I feel works for short marks with small bumpers and teal size dokkens. A couple of years ago I did a series of tests shooting all types of training bumpers(shot them over my kids swing set for perspective. Top bar on the swing set is about 7' high) All those shots are on my facebook page. It's a public album so try looking me up there and you should be able to see them. The following link should work although I haven't tested it.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1275558861706.40157.1612006320&type=3&l=c3e4ee86c2

P.S. As you will be able to see I used some boards to elevate the one end so that it would throw and "Arc" instead of straight up. About 5" seemed to work well. Small bumpers and teals went about 20' up and 40' out. Maybe a little short for 100 yards but good for 50 yards doing indented triples, braking birds, Started and Junior marks etc...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts