RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today while doing a short session of yard work with my lab my ecollar malfunctioned. When I hit the nick button it felt like a bolt of lightning going into my hand. The transmitter shocked the $#!+ out of me! Yes transmitter not reciever. The shock wasnt a short nick, it kept putting the voltage to me until I dropped it. Now I know what the dog receives! When I looked at the transmitter the unit had turned its self off and was hot to the touch. I was able to turn it back on but it shut off shortly there after. Showed that it was fully charged. It is a Dogtra 7100H sure stim. Any one have this happen before or knows what is going on? Unit is less than a year old. Thanks for your help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
Today while doing a short session of yard work with my lab my ecollar malfunctioned. When I hit the nick button it felt like a bolt of lightning going into my hand. The transmitter shocked the $#!+ out of me! Yes transmitter not reciever. The shock wasnt a short nick, it kept putting the voltage to me until I dropped it. Now I know what the dog receives! When I looked at the transmitter the unit had turned its self off and was hot to the touch. I was able to turn it back on but it shut off shortly there after. Showed that it was fully charged. It is a Dogtra 7000h sure stim. Any one have this happen befor or knows what is going on? Unit is less than a year old. Thanks for your help.
I guess the name fits......"Sure Stim" !!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I saw my dog laughing at me when it happened!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,649 Posts
Sounds to me like a leakage of current as a result of a tiny crack or space opening up. Also, if your skin is moist the conductivity increases something like 25x due to the salts on your skin going into solution.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
You know this happened to me just the other day and I thought I was loosing it. And just went on with my day. Mine is a 3502. I have sent it since then for another reason (vibration stopped working).
Wow it was for real but mine wasn't that harsh of shock and it has been happening consistantly but alway wrote it off. I will let them know asap as to this problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,219 Posts
:)) Not ever had that happen with 20 yrs of TT........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
946 Posts
You have a battery shorting out, or a direct short back to the battery. This happens most often in cell phones and in severe cases has caused burns to people when the cell phone is in a pocket or a few cases where it has started a fire. What you experienced was most likely low voltage high amperage, which is opposite of what the collar delivers which is high voltage low amperage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I contacted Dogtra Customer Service this morning. The representative I spoke to said this was the first time she has heard of this type of problem. She asked me to send the unit back to them to investigate and repair. Interesting to hear that another person has had this happen to them. At least now we know it isn't just in our minds. I will post what type of response/service I get back from Dogtra.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top