RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Practically brand new Dogtra Edge very well maintained, not even a year old, won’t charge past 1/2 way. Anyone else having this issue?
Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just bought a Dogtra Black 1900. It has the same range 1mile so I’m guessing the same internals. My dog is not ready quite yet for collar conditioning but I will be watching with interest and concern.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
My Dogtra Edge RT is 6 years old, used almost every day, and charging and holding a charge very well. My guess is that you need to send yours to Dogtra or the Collar Clinic to find out what's wrong.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Practically brand new Dogtra Edge very well maintained, not even a year old, won’t charge past 1/2 way. Anyone else having this issue?
Thanks!
I have an Edge RT. Just curious m, How do you know it is only charging halfway? I would never know that with mine. But also, Dogtra has excellent customer service and will take care of any issues you may be having.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I sent my Dogtra Edge RT back because it seemed to only work intermittently. They sent it back to me saying it worked fine. Has been working better since, but has never taken a charge for more than a few minutes, per the red/green light. It certainly is not as reliable as my ancient TT collar was before its battery expired. Maybe my current dog just requires a tighter fit and higher setting?

·
Registered
707 Posts
I sent my Dogtra Edge RT back because it seemed to only work intermittently. They sent it back to me saying it worked fine. Has been working better since, but has never taken a charge for more than a few minutes, per the red/green light. It certainly is not as reliable as my ancient TT collar was before its battery expired. Maybe my current dog just requires a tighter fit and higher setting?
I noticed this one time when I was charging my Edge RT collars. Then I realized I wasn’t using the correct charger. I was accidentally using the Dogtra charger for winger electronics with a diff voltage and not the 10V charger that the Edge RT collars and collar transmitter require.

You might double check that.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I agree with the tighter fit for sure, I found that when I switched from TT to dogtra, and make sure you put it on the side of their neck not under their chin. I have no idea why but since doing that I have had 0 issues.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m certain I have the correct charger. It charged to four bars overnight. I took it off the charger and within 20 minutes (without any use) it dropped to one bar.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
I took it off the charger and within 20 minutes (without any use) it dropped to one bar.
But does it work? Will the battery go dead when you aren't using it? If it does either the battery or the transmitter is faulty.
I have Garmin collars and I think the transmitter could probably go for months on a charge. I doubt the Dogtra batteries are any different.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I’m certain I have the correct charger. It charged to four bars overnight. I took it off the charger and within 20 minutes (without any use) it dropped to one bar.
Sorry, my apologies, my comment about the charger was directed to 2Tall and the issues she was having with her collars.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
So I sent one of my edge RT collars into dogtra; it wouldn't turn on with the magnet. They say it needed a new battery; replaced that it came back worked fine Until I went to charge it with it's original charger, the one that works on my other 2 Edge RT collars. Would charge green, then take off charger, be green for a bit and in a little amount of time it blinks red; or not maintaining charge. So I call dogtra, and they ask me what charger I have, because apparently the new batteries they are putting in the Edge RT requires a particular charger, and not even the one for the regular Edge will work; nor the one that came with my Edge RT originally as that one was for the older batteries they used at the time. So they sent me the new charger and NOW everything charges as it should; at least the new charger also works on the older batteries. Getting about 3 days life on all of them if they are turned on and not turned off.

Guess moral of the story is check your charger, and battery make sure they are compatible because newer batteries, and different dogtra products are very specific, and some will not charge particular units fully

Reactions: Kyle Garris

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m going to call them tomorrow. Let it charge all day, turned it on, had four bars. Spent ~20 minutes collar conditioning a dog, it dropped to one bar and blinking orange. I turned it off for a few minutes and turned it back on and it had four bars. 🤔

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I’m going to call them tomorrow. Let it charge all day, turned it on, had four bars. Spent ~20 minutes collar conditioning a dog, it dropped to one bar and blinking orange. I turned it off for a few minutes and turned it back on and it had four bars. 🤔
Kyle, what bars? My Edge RT only shows red or green light. Have never seen it show red for more than a few minutes while charging. But it has never died either. Tightening and placing on the side of neck as Darren said seems to work fine.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Kyle, what bars? My Edge RT only shows red or green light. Have never seen it show red for more than a few minutes while charging. But it has never died either. Tightening and placing on the side of neck as Darren said seems to work fine.
Kyle has an "Edge" not an "Edge RT"

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I noticed this one time when I was charging my Edge RT collars. Then I realized I wasn’t using the correct charger. I was accidentally using the Dogtra charger for winger electronics with a diff voltage and not the 10V charger that the Edge RT collars and collar transmitter require.

You might double check that.
I did the exact same thing with my 3502X.
I actually sent mine to Dogtra and they gave me the heads up.
I’ve been using Dogtra for 20yrs and have had nothing less than excellent electronics and service!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts