RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

I don?t have any Dokken Duck trainers/bumpers and have never used them. A simple poll, what do you t

• They?re OK, use them occasionally.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I?d rather use a bumper, why waste the money

• Other - Comments.

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don?t have any Dokken Duck trainers/bumpers and have never used them.

A simple poll, what do you think about them?

If you use them for anything specific, like blinds, why?

Joe

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
My pup loves 'em.

I mostly use them for blinds since they fade to a nice "dead grass" tan that can sap a young dog's marking confidence.

·
Registered
849 Posts
A bumper is a bumper is a bumper is a bumper, why pay $20 bucks for a bumper.

tom

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I only own 1 - and it was "gutted" by one of the dogs - a dog that has never damaged a duck or a bumper! I train with some people that swear by them - they're alot of money that I could better spend some other way.If I'm not using bumpers I've got a freezer full of the real thing.

Andy

·
Registered
620 Posts
I just bought their greatest hits. Awesome hair band

Breaking the chains......................

·
Registered
519 Posts
Dr. Ed,
Funny you should mention that. When my dog was young I bought a couple of Dokkens to train with. After using them a couple of weeks he started retrieving decoys. I had to completely re-break him on decoys and Haven't used the Dokkens since. I do have a lot of friends that use them without any problems. By the way, he is a Zip Code grandson.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Strikes me as the latest snake oil from the traveling retriever medicine wagon. What can you do with them that you can't do without them? I'd rather invest those $ in good single malt Scotch. Heck, even in poor single malt!
:drinking:

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I use them and for the most part my dog prefers them to normal bumpers. If one is mixed in at blind 9/10 times he will bring back the DFT.
They are nice to have but not a must.
Tim

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Well, I bought one and at the time it was probably because it seemed like the thing to do. I haven't noticed (well, scientifically measured) that my dog has trained any better. I like the way it floats on the water. A Dokken is very useful in a poison bird water blind set-up. They look more like a real duck, sit up nice'n high and are very tempting. Then again a big white bumper would probably serve just as well. On land, if I put a pile out with one Dokken and the rest rubber or canvass dummies, the Dokken always comes back first. She likes it better? However, one real duck in there makes it no contest.

One place where it makes a useful statement is when you are working your dog in a public place. You really would like to convince people that the dog is going after ducks, but then again using freezer ducks could prove tacky and probably be an overstatement. So you whip out the fau ducks and let'm guess a little bit about what's going on. Usually, they get in a bit closer and realize (to their relief) it's not real. But.........you've made your point. A tactful dog trainer can help educate the public.

So, yep! I can see where in some instances it is useful. They do take up a lot more space and make your wallet lighter. Could I get by without one or two and feel like it wouldn't be a loss? Sure! but toys are fun...............I have two now. I feel quite comfortable with my token Dokkens.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Well...........#1, I don't believe that you can test Hunting Retrievers with them.

#2, I feel that the dogs attitudes are better when running a blind using a DFT than when using straight bumpers.

I own 3, a duck and 2 geese. I think they are OK to use on occasion, but they are a substitute for bumpers, not a substitute for Birds.

Cray

K

·
0 Posts
Used to HATE them...

We thought they were the dumbest things in the world. And the only experience we had with them was a young dog in for training that started retrieving decoys we guess because she had grown up with dokkens. I think that's the key point.

HOWEVER... We got some when the ESPN thing started a couple of years ago, just to practice with and make sure the dog was used to them.

In the meantime, here are things we've used them for (although we don't use them very often):
1) Dogs that are sloppy on birds, not yet through FF, but you want to give them a bird-like feel to what they're retrieving
1b) Right after FF to help the dog transition more easily to bird if you think they'll have problems.
2) Cheating singles, where we'd normally use bumpers (because birds would get nasty with repeated throws, esp in summer). I must say that they really do make a difference to the dogs. They think they're a bird at least until they get to them!
3) As a transition to birds for dogs who aren't very birdy or just weren't introduced to birds early enough in their life.

We don't use them often. There is NO substitute for the real thing, which is what we use every day in training.

We were at an outdoor show and I went over to a retriever supply booth and took one back and showed it to one of the dogs we had there. As soon as she even SAW it, she went nuts (it was just a little dokken dove). She loved it. I bought it just for fun.

I wouldn't invest money in more than a few of them to have around for the above reasons, though. I wouldn't raise a dog on them. And I wouldn't use them every day in training. But for the things I use them for, I think they're fantastic.

-Kristie

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
Kristie's points are perfect! Dead on!

Dokken dummies are dummies or bumpers.

They can be good training tool. The marketing material with which they come and are advertised indicates that their primary benefits are:

Teaching a proper hold - they have hard feet and head that whacks the dog...teaches hold in the center of the bird torso.

Giving a visual bird-like mark to retrieve. BE CAREFUL you decoy-proof your dog! While decoy retrieving is a boon to many a retriever owner at the RIGHT TIME, a dog who retrieves decoys at the wrong time is better left in the truck while you hunt, test or trial!

Teaching the "proper" feel and weight...bumers are lighter...some dogs can benefit from the use of a weighted bumper (A DFT will work) for this purpose.

Warning! :

Advancing the agenda of anti-bird use organizations prior to our legal systems requiring such is to give ground away...some folks are leary of giving their time, dollars and hours to organizations that promote this.

Loving the NFRA rulebook in this regard....gamebirds only, period.

Sincerely, Christopher D. Atkinson - NFRA Inaugural Judge Open A and Master B

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
Steve said:
I just bought their greatest hits. Awesome hair band

Breaking the chains......................
Tweek, You left out an obvious, erroneous omission...surely it was due to the thought that all inherently understand:

With each DFT one bags, he gets a band! For the suburban trainer, what better way to add bands to the lanyard...other than, perhaps certain games who award bands for fetching all the DFT's that the judges place for the dawg......

Does this seem a bit bitter?

- Chris

·
Registered
9 Posts
I started using a pheasant DFT last year because I wanted to get my dog ready to hunt pheasants last season. I liked the fact that it had the long tail, hard feet, correct weight etc.

I taped some turkey feathers to it so it would be more realistic. I continue to use it today mainly because my dog still goes nuts when he sees it. :) :)

Lefty

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
There is something morally wrong with a hunting/trial dog retrieving a plastic/rubber duck.

A non-dog friend bought me one for Christmas. I tossed if for the macho dawg a few times (to show my friend appreciation for the gift) and he seemed to like it. He also likes retrieving plastic bottles and coffee mugs. Doesn't really matter to the dawg.

Shayne

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
He also likes retrieving plastic bottles and coffee mugs. Doesn't really matter to the dawg.
HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Ok, you have to understand that this has been #1 a helluva stressful week, and #2 I am sick and twisted by nature.

So when I read that line, I suddenly got a MAJOR flashback of Gypsy's uncle (my first Chessie, 20+ years ago) chasing a friend of mine (back when I still had prissy friends) around a pasture with a semi-dried cow patty. He was just trying to share his wonderful "find". She, of course (being prissy) was shreiking and running away, and the naughty puppy (about 10 weeks) was grrring and in hot pursuit.

Cow-patty retrieves, anyone? I guess you'd know for sure a dog was properly through the basics if they deliver every one intact.

Yeah, with beer-bottle retrieves, cow-patty retrieves, coffe-mug retrieves, maybe Shayne and I can start a new retriever organization, the "Parlor Tricks Retriever Association". Titles would be based partly on natural ability, partly on trainability, and partly on creativity.

Lisa

·
Registered
407 Posts
Like'em & Use'em all 6 ducks and 2 teal. My dawg consistantly chooses them over plastic bumpers out of the pile (but not always over canvas flagman???). My girl bores easily with reps to the same pile and these help keep the intirest up enough to keep her churnin' out for one more boring bumper :wink:
Peake - Who in training likes to keep his few real ducks dry and reusable enter Dokkens on Water.
________
OUTDOOR GERMAN

·
Registered
122 Posts
Like Peake.....Like'um & Use'em.......Our dogs seem to like the pheasants best.....as will pick them over other "Rubber Birds" or bumpers.....They look really neat coming out of a winger also. I think they help young dogs learn to carry the larger birds......Don't like they way the black ducks soak up water.......get pretty weighted down with a days use......and then are harder to throw.....

·
Registered
813 Posts
I like mine and I use them all the time. To date I have never had a dog retrieve a decoy. (knock on wood)

I have no idea if they have any real value or not but my dog will bring back the DFT goose first then the DFT ducks and then the canvas bumpers then the plastic bumpers.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts