RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 8 week old CLM is a retrieving machine. he is already doing 25-40 yard throws in the yard. i keep it to 3-5 throws usually but he is doing really well. he loves his dokken teal but does real well with 2" lucky bumpers and lately he is not really keen on his canvas hallmark like he used to be.

the only thing im a little hesitant about is on about every other throw he brings it back by the throw rope attached. i know when they are older this is a big no-no but what about now? i've thought about taking it off? should i discourage it? or allow it and correct it later? just wondering if im sweating the petty things? or petting the sweaty things?:razz:

i know puppies will be puppies and dont want to discourage him from retrieving all together.

also everyonce in a while i'll hold his collar when i throw and say his name (moose) and release him he still takes off light lightning. should i wait till later on this as well and just let him charge after it like puppys will do?

on a side note every night we work on hallway throws. i decided i'd make it a little more interesting and put up a 2 pillow wall and threw the dummy on the other side of the pillows. he took off like a firecracker and cleared the pillows grabbed the dummy and managed to climb back over them bringing it to rest at my feet! i was stoked

·
Registered
92 Posts
Your best bet is to just take the rope off altogether. Don't give him the option of carrying the dummy by the rope. You can introduce the rope back in during FF. Best of luck with your puppy!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Take a look at Bill Hillmans DVD,there is no restraint.
just finished my little guy on his program and he went to the pro last week.
WOW, said the pro, I really like this dog.
Now is the perfect time to start your pup on Hillman's program.
JMHO

Gregg Leonard

1 - 3 of 3 Posts